Nintendo DS Lite Upper Screen Ribbon

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Yepi69, Jan 6, 2013.

Jan 6, 2013

Yepi69 GBATemp Pokemon, EarthBound, Mother3 Proud Fan Boy

Message Count:
    Portugal
    I wanted to know if its possible to replace the top screen ribbon instead of replacing the whole screen, because it seems wasteful to throw away a good top screen while the ribbon is the only thing broken. :hateit:
    • Newcomer

The Masked Man New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    My friend had a similar problem with his. He opened up the top screen of the DS and the ribbon cable came off from the socket. All he did was clean it up with a cotton swab and snapped it right back in. That said, not sure if the ribbon with your DS is just disconnected or if it's really broken.

Message Count:
    Portugal
    The ribbon has got a small hole like it was stabbed on the contacts, one part is normal but the left one is all gray, i'll try your tip.
    • Newcomer

The Masked Man New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    If it truly is broken, then you could buy a replacement and they're not that expensive online. I'd link you to a retailer, but I question the legitimacy of the site.

Message Count:
    Portugal
    the ribbon isn't broken, just the contacts are broken, at least the left side one is, i would prefer to find and pay someone to fix it for me, i'm no good with console repairs and i prefer people with more experience on repairing.
    • Newcomer

proctology New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    The replacement ribbons exist, but not only are they brand specific, they are nearly impossible to install correctly, even for an expert. Considering the price is only about $7 different, it's not much of a loss to get the full screen.

Message Count:
    Portugal
    Sigh, I found someone who would fix it for me for 20$ with a new top screen, i guess i gotta put it to repair...again.
    • Reporter

Foxi4 Shotgun to the face is not a contingency plan.

Message Count:
    Poland
    You can always request returning your undamaged screen and keeping it as a spare part in case the new one breaks but the ribbon remains intact.

Message Count:
    Portugal
    Yeah but if the ribbon is inside of the screen and can't be replaced what good is that spare part for then?
    • Reporter

Foxi4 Shotgun to the face is not a contingency plan.

Message Count:
    Poland
    Pretty sure there's actually a slot for it... but hey, I may be wrong - I never replaced mine. :P

Message Count:
    Portugal
    As far as I know, the ribbon is deep inside the screen and if the ribbon dies the screen dies along with the ribbon.

I really wish it had that damn slot, a ribbon is pretty cheap and replacing it would be easy.
    • Newcomer

proctology New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    A new top screen's only about $10 incl. shipping - if you can do your own soldering for the speakers, no real need to pay for it. Just make sure your supplier guarantees against dead pixels/lines - the first one I ordered from DX was a dud (working but dead line).

SPONSORED LINKS