Nintendo Confirms Breath of the Wild as last first party WiiU game

maxresdefault.jpg

Sad but inevitable fate for the WiiU as Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime broke the news.

Speaking to Polygon following the Switch launch event in New York City last Friday, he had the following to say: “From a first-party standpoint, there's no new development coming after the launch of the legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild,” he said. “We really are at the end of life for Wii U.”

He added that Wii U titles will continue to be sold at retail and on the Nintendo eShop, and the company had not begun any discussion for ceasing online services for the console: “From our standpoint, sunsetting is quite some time into the future. The ongoing activity from an online standpoint on [Mario] Kart and Splatoon is significant. We're going to continue to support that.”

The WiiU has been around for about four and a half years and failed to meet the expectations that the big N had for it. “Even today when I ask people, ‘so what was Wii U all about?,’ I get a wide variety of responses,” Reggie had to say on the matter. “In managing the business, that's just not good.” The company is however much more confident (hopeful?) about their upcoming console touting the slogan “a home console you can take with you".

:arrow: SOURCE

Last edited by Prans,

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
How did it die?
I thought Nintendo consoles were unbreakable?!

Was playing mario and luigi on vc, then it stopped working and when I tried to turn it on again, all I got was a blue blinking light.

I thought Nintendo consoles were bulletproof too. Wii had a very low failure rate and my 20 year old Nintendo 64 still works. Let alone the wii u, being underpowered and all. Had it for 13 months and put less than 200 hours on it, which I regret now.

Reactions: naddel81

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was playing mario and luigi on vc, then it stopped working and when I tried to turn it on again, all I got was a blue blinking light.

I thought Nintendo consoles were bulletproof too. Wii had a very low failure rate and my 20 year old Nintendo 64 still works. Let alone the wii u, being underpowered and all. Had it for 13 months and put less than 200 hours on it, which I regret now.

so, did it run too hot or what did you find out?

Hironiemus

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
What I would really like to know is whether the 3 GB install can be installed from the disc or just from the internet? Thus potentially leaving us with an unplayable game in the latter case when they decide to shut down the servers in half a year.

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now you are using your opinion. If you want to have an argument, don't bring your opinion in. It doesn't reflect every one. @Pachee
Opinion or just the minimal effort most here were expecting from Nintendo, the company that supported the N64 and Gamecube till the end despite everyone jumping ship?

You have no idea of the "monster" people will be creating if Nintendo gets away with what they did here. You just don't break consumer faith in your brand and think you can magically get them back later.

Reactions: Fil o_O

Fil o_O

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
could you explain the 'monster' better and maybe even give an example of something similar that has happened in the past

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder, will eventually send it to repair and find out what happened. Very sad about it, I love my wii u.
Two things. A) it is possible that the power brick is going bad. Can you borrow one and test it. B) I bought a "console only" Wii U off eBay for $100 two years ago and it seems like they still go for that in the US. Maybe you can find someone that raged on their gamepad.
What I would really like to know is whether the 3 GB install can be installed from the disc or just from the internet? Thus potentially leaving us with an unplayable game in the latter case when they decide to shut down the servers in half a year.
Wut?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
They are asking themselves if 10000 years in the future when an archaeologist finds within some buried city ruins a Wii U and a copy of BotW, will the archaeologists be able to install the additional required 3GB of data from the disk and play the game, or will this piece of history be lost forever because of the shutting down of nintendo network services?

Reactions: thorasgar

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
could you explain the 'monster' better and maybe even give an example of something similar that has happened in the past
What will happen next time when they have no more enough fanboys to buy their devices and the public decides they are not interested on their product like they weren't on the Wii U?
They are starting to follow the steps of Sega, by destroying faith built on the hard times they had in the past.

D

Dork

Man the Wii U was such a massive disappointment. The huge drop in quality in Nintendo's games hurt to see. The Switch is already infinitely better because it has a Sunshine successor.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And to be honest, considering it the handheld that it is, it is the most beautiful handheld I've ever seen!
It is a pity that the launch line up is subpar, but I am still quite interested in the Switch.

PS: Also it is a cool feature to be able to connect your handheld to your tv.
Totally agree.

Let be honest here.... we all know that Nintendo is really strong when it comes to handhelds, with really good 1st party games, and good 3rd party support. But Nintendo's home consoles, since the SNES days, are sub-par in comparison.
They are trying to market this thing as a home console, and that really worries me. Maybe because there's a stigma attached to handhelds, "Hardcore gamers" tend to view handhelds as under-powered toys.

With the recent unveil of Fire Emblem Echoes as a 3DS exclusive, and the absent of a core Pokemon game on the announcement of the console (Yes, I know you don't give a shit about it, but Pokemon is really important. Also, Pokemon Stars is just a rumor), it seems Nintendo is just testing the waters. They are not going all out on the Switch... they didn't show confidence in their product (and I don't blame them).

But if they don't trust the Switch, neither do I. With the DS, I knew a core Pokemon RPG will eventually come for it (nobody bought their "3rd pillar" crap back then). With the Switch, I really don't know. I'm still doubtful on what this console is. They didn't proved that this is going to be the platform for all Nintendo games, succeeding both their home console and handheld platforms. They didn't make it clear.

I think that if the Switch doesn't sell well during it's first year, Nintendo is going to release another handheld console to succeed the 3DS. I hope that's not the case.

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Mean, seriously. What do you expected them to do here? Try to keep the Wii U going and support the Switch? They tried their best, people didn't buy it enough and wasn't given enough support.
Since the Switch isn't THAT much more powerful than Wii U (see Splatoon 2, Mario Kart Deluxe etc) they could easily release games like Arms for Wii U as well.
The additional developing and distributing costs would be low, especially if they were to only release them on the Eshop.
At the end of the Wii period sales were really bad and Wii U was still not in sight. They could have easily ported 3DS games onto the Wii but they didn't. A few 3rd party developers actually did it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: