Nintendo Announces Super NES Classic Edition

SNES_Mini_Box.jpg
H2x1_NintendoClassicMiniSNES_image912w.jpg

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo’s follow-up console to the legendary Nintendo Entertainment System, launched in 1991 and introduced what many consider some of the greatest video games of all time – classics such as Super Mario World, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Mario Kart, Super Metroid and F-ZERO.

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo's follow-up console to the legendary Nintendo Entertainment System, launched in 1991 and introduced what many consider some of the greatest video games of all time. (Photo: Business Wire)

On Sept. 29, this beloved console is coming back to stores in the form of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition. The mini system, which contains 21 pre-installed classic games and can easily be plugged into any high-definition TV using the included HDMI cable, will be available at a suggested retail price of $79.99. And for the first time, players who pick up the system can enjoy the intergalactic adventure Star Fox 2, the sequel to the original Star Fox game that was created during the Super NES era but never released … anywhere!

“While many people from around the world consider the Super NES to be one of the greatest video game systems ever made, many of our younger fans never had a chance to play it,” said Doug Bowser, Nintendo of America’s Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing. “With the Super NES Classic Edition, new fans will be introduced to some of the best Nintendo games of all time, while longtime fans can relive some of their favorite retro classics with family and friends.”

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition has the same look and feel of the original system – only smaller – and comes pre-loaded with 21 incredible games:

• Contra III: The Alien Wars
    • Donkey Kong Country
    • EarthBound
    • Final Fantasy III
    • F-ZERO
    • Kirby Super Star
    • Kirby’s Dream Course
    • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    • Mega Man® X
    • Secret of Mana
    • Star Fox
    • Star Fox 2
    • Street Fighter® II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
    • Super Castlevania IV
    • Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts®
    • Super Mario Kart
    • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
    • Super Mario World
    • Super Metroid
    • Super Punch-Out!!
    • Yoshi’s Island
All of these games would be considered classics by anyone’s standards, and some of them in particular – Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy III, EarthBound and Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars – are massive role-playing games that can take dozens of hours to complete. Even for super fans who have played all of these games multiple times, the inclusion of the never-before-released Star Fox 2 game will offer them something entirely new to enjoy – if they can unlock it by proving their skills in the original Star Fox game. (Well, they only have to complete the first level – we didn’t want to make it too hard!)

Included with the Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition are one HDMI cable, one USB charging cable with AC adapter and two wired Super NES Classic Controllers, perfect for playing multiplayer games. Having two controllers will make it easy for two players to dive into multiplayer action right away. Some of the games with multiplayer options include Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting, Super Mario Kart, Contra III: The Alien Wars and Secret of Mana.

*Note that an AC adapter for the USB cable is required to play the system but is not included in the packaging.

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition launches on Sept. 29 at a suggested retail price of $79.99.

:arrow:Super Nes Classic Official Site

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Can't wait for Star Fox 2 to be dumped
impossible.. if there is no rom in the internet, does this mean nintendo for the first time dumped their own rom??
The fact that the cords don't connect with a wiimote connection looks promissing that the controller lengths may actually be approrpiate this time, though it is a small bummer that we can't get 2 SNES classic controllers just by buying this for use on our Wiis and Wii Us.

I have a feeling this wont be as easily exploitable as the NES Classic was though. Would be awesome if it is though.
i hope they keep the same connectors... this way we can get thoose extensions for dirty cheap and use wii gamepads (i think you could use the wii gamepad on the mini nes?)

ANYWAY:
folks, if i get the change i may get one pal, and sell it here at the temp for you americans...
will charge the money i paid for it + shipping and for myself 20 bucks (which i think it's a fair, i seen in ebay the nes mini for 200+ euros) anyway. of course it will be Closed in box, i will even put the receipt on the package lol (in case you don't know, in europe you have 2 years warranty so...)
if there is interest i may get more than 1..
looking more to help than profit (like i said, 20 bucks profit for me i really think it's a fair deal)

Last edited by migles,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very good list (a few they could have removed for others like Final Fantasy 2/4 or Chrono Trigger), and it's releasing on my birthday. The inclusion of the Star Fox games (especially the never-released sequel) and Yoshi's Island must mean that whatever issue Nintendo had with regard to licensing of Super FX games may now, at long last, be resolved.

Sadly though, I don't think I'd get this. I really want Nintendo to get off their asses and release the games from both this, NES Classic, and general VC onto the Switch. It's the perfect platform for them.

Yes, I hope that this opens the way for proper Super FX emulation on the Switch, because all we got is that POS GBA port of Yoshi's Island. But now, Star Fox, Star Fox 2, which I never expected, should do just that.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the inclusion of the never-before-released Star Fox 2 game will offer them something entirely new to enjoy – if they can unlock it by proving their skills in the original Star Fox game. (Well, they only have to complete the first level – we didn’t want to make it too hard!)
You have to unlock it?

S

Saiyan Lusitano

I hope people who scalp this get ripped off and a slew of negative feedback reviews to ruin their rep on eBay :creep:

Wait, why hasn't it shown up in the US or as a real item in the UK store?
I've scalped the recent Zelda amiibos recently and the buyer was really happy with my customer service as I updated him on everything. I know that it's an asshole thing to do, to charge too bloody much but hey, if the rest does it then I wanna do it too. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: C64 puts it to shame