Nintendo and Nvidia team up to bring Gamecube and Wii classics to the Shield TV in China

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by WiiUBricker, Dec 5, 2017.

1. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    how the hell did you even pay 380 quids? it makes no sence i got it day one and it was 330 euros not quids so paying 380 british pounds is riidiculous lol you could buy it so much cheaper everywhere else.

2. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 28, 2015
    slip of the finger it was £280 minus the games i bought and accessories separate which probably puts it near that or more

3. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    What everyone is saying is look at ps4 first year titles,xboxone first year titles and even xbox360,ps3, during their first year they got crap, not even a decent title, the switch only makes a year on march next year and has already alot of games and some amazing ones like splatoon 2, botw,mario odissey xenoblade chronicles 2. just this 4 titles alone for a 1 year release is amazing tell me even 4 decent titles that ps4 and xb1 had on their first year, afaik ps4 had the worst launch lineup ever with old gen ports and knack, serously unless my memory filais me the only decent title title that wasnt a last gen port worth noting was infamous but correct me if im wrong tough.

lol read this article beause ps4 got crap tbh i didnt even knew their first year was so crappy and barren
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-15-who-needs-games-playstation-4s-first-year

Last edited by pedro702, Dec 5, 2017
  4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    If that is the way you want the world to work I guess you are in luck. I remember better times (the DS was not so long ago and while I had a megadrive I enjoyed the SNES well enough) and see no technical reason it can't return there.

5. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    Return... Where? The Switch easily outperforms the SNES, DS, and Megadrive and is capable of far more powerful games. Unless you're suggesting that we go further than Indy 2D games and artificially limit the power of systems?

6. atlboyz_247

atlboyz_247 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 4, 2008
    United States
    You’re not wrong that the Switch get games that are going to be more lack luster in graphics/pricing/release dates, but the factor that I’m sure most players with a Switch are looking forward to is the portable versions of these titles as Sony/MS/PC users don’t have a viable solution for this yet. Yes, the catalog for the Switch is weak in terms of 3rd party titles, but as long as they come out, we’ll have portable and decent looking games for this platform that aren’t available portably from other platforms IN THIS FORM FACTOR (and honestly, this helps massively as ARM games have been mostly lackluster until Vulkan support came around and the Switch is pushing for more titles... more Switch games and high popularity -> more Vulkan games in general) and better graphic first party Nintendo games to boot (who isn’t clamoring for a Pokémon port).

Yes, there is going to be a big push for VC as they need the budget to provide for their more demanding first party titles, but it’s a simpler job to port already made games to get money than any other task, and again, we don’t have a good cheap solution portable for VC GameCube and Wii yet until this Shield solution comes out for the Switch.

All in all, the Switch’s purpose is portability for more modern titles without much modification (modification like the graphics engines for the Vita/3DS vs PC/console ex. Resident Evil Revelations 1 and 2) regardless of the fact that newer games are coming to PS4/XB1/PC.

They didn’t market that Switch games are going to be the latest and greatest, just that they’re going to be portable and playable on your TV. Not everyone’s cup of tea, but it is what it is.

Should they change their marketing tactic and business model? Maybe, but portable ARM hardware is only making leaps in this recent generation and still somewhat behind laptops and desktops, so it’s understandable where the Switch stands (plus its 300 dollar hardware, the argument that phones can barely do Dolphin is moot since they are going for 500+).

7. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemps Midna

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    The Twilight Realm
    it's sad that this is devolving into this but it eratates me the way this argument is going
    I can't even begin to find where to start with this clusterfuck

8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    How did you possibly get to that?

I said the SNES and DS were pretty representative of gaming of the day. After that it got hazy at best and I do not like that and see no benefit from that.
    My ideal world has them adopt the DVD model (this is our baseline hardware, build it out if you want (I don't care if my console has a 5.1 amp in there, others might, hopefully the market responds) and all these games will work with it) but if we are going to suffer single manufacturer ecosystems then I fail to see the value in modern Nintendo being a hardware manufacturer. Modern Nintendo's many woes seem mostly due to their choices and not being an attractive company to work with/for/partner with rather than circumstances outside their control.

Again it has been decades since Nintendo has done that in the home consoles so it is not unreasonable for some to think that is the way it is done. Still seems a waste to me though -- first party CPR should be a boosting strategy, not the main one.

9. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemps Midna

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    The Twilight Realm
    what are you talking about with "DVD model"? if you mean them using actual dvd's, well, the reason why the switch doesn't use discs is cause that would be issuemental having a disc wobbling around in something somebody will be bringing around with them

TheLegendofMario and Memoir like this.
  10. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    The thing with Nintendo is that they're willing to take certain risks. Sony and Microsoft backtrack pretty far if they don't get the reactions they hoped for. Kinect is all but dead at this point. Sony seemingly has no interest in the handheld market anymore, as the Vita flopped pretty badly. Nintendo? They're trying to expand. Will I go so far as to call them innovators? No. However, with risks like the Wii, DS and Switch actually being successful? It pushes competition and that helps the market expand. Even if we saw excessive shovelware on the 2 former systems.. The hardware kept up with their competitors, even being drastically underpowered.

The Switch is no different. I do get that the Wii U bombing left a sour taste in some people.. However, it's not indicative of Nintendo's future. Nor should it be holding them back. What bothers me most is how the Switch is treated as an afterthought currently and how we're getting back ports of games nobody is really asking for. RE Revelations and the Megaman collections for example. Are they welcome? Yes. Do they enforce the image that third party is lacking? You betcha. Why? Simply put, we have few original games and original ideas to look forward to that AREN'T Nintendo. Makes me sad. I have hopes for the Switch. First console I've been excited for since the DS.

I'm excited to see what this partnership with Nvidia will bring us.

Last edited by Memoir, Dec 5, 2017
  11. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    so you want to hear that nintendo had the most superior system of gen "X" . . . and you also admit that nintendo systems are lacking in hardware

look we all know 3rd party support sucks for nintendo but when you have a system great enough to make 3rd party companies indirectly apologize for doubting it as a market one can expect more than just rehashed re-released games . . . but you seem mad that these software co.'s did not have confidence in the switch to begin with so what if the market is currently ports when a good selling port is good startup money for working on a system they deemed to shitty to sell on in the first place (therefore did not budget much money for) . . .

if i remember correctly zombiiu is a perfect example of a great game from a 3rd party that hopped on too early so it flopped with the system and only got "real" recognition when ubisoft stripped the game down and resold it on other platforms . . . i say that to say no co. wants to repeat (or make) mistakes like this

its safer to wait before investing in nintendo safer yet if you could make that startup money on the console (and get a gauge of the number of fans you have on said console at the same time) its all about the profit and as nintendo is a notoriously bad place to seek that they get ports first instead of high budget brand spanking new games . . . but money talks and the more these ports bring in the higher the chance of big budget new

also i like how you downplay the consoles hybrid portability . . . like lol dude i am sorry that the only time you get up is to take a shit . . . you should get some friends lol

Memoir likes this.
  12. VinsCool

VinsCool Detached from Reality

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    If this leads to Gamecube and Wii games on Switch my wallet is going to suffer :D

Unless of course someone datamine the NVIDIA Shield releases and find something neat to make them run on other machines.

Xabring, DarthDub, jt_1258 and 6 others like this.
  13. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    GC and Wii games on Switch without the need of Dolphin, dude.
    With that I can live happily ever after with a hacked Switch and emus xD

VinsCool likes this.
  14. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 Conniption Master

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    Kernel Version: Linux 4.14.6-1-zen
    new super mario bros. wii switch edition

15. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    F-zero GX/AX needs to be ported ASAP.

DarthDub, Tumoche and Memoir like this.
  16. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    An HD port please and thank you.

KiiWii likes this.
  17. Radius4

Radius4 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 10, 2015
    Ecuador
    Relax everyone.

http://shield.nvidia.cn/games/geforce-now/new-super-mario-bros

hint: geforce-now
    So no emulators, no ports, no recompilation, at least not in the client. It's being streamed.

The host system could be a PC running dolphin, a port, a custom emulator. Regardless it's irrelevant no offline play, no lag-free play, not play once nintendo shuts down the deal.

There's always a chance of they having screwed up the listing but I wouldn't hold my breath for that

These are native ports:

https://shield.nvidia.com/games/android/metalgearsolid2
    https://shield.nvidia.com/games/android/metalgearsolid3

18. deinonychus71

deinonychus71 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 12, 2008
    United States
    Chicago
    So was the gameboy, the wii, the 3ds. How is the Switch different?
    I mean, I totally agree I'd rather see Nintendo games on Steam and everywhere at the same time. That's also true for Sony games actually. Any exclusivity. But that's not exclusive to Nintendo.

Right now though, the portability of the Switch makes it strong to the general opinion. It also had a decent line-up compared to other consoles of this generation. Whether you're a Nintendo fan or not pretty much everyone agrees on that...

19. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Well there we have it.

20. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    and with that a tiny bit of me died . . .

DarthDub and Pandaxclone2 like this.