Nintendo 3DS Hinge and Smudges Discrepancy

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by tigris, Jul 4, 2011.

?

How wide does your 3DS Hinge move? (IF YOU HAVE NOT HAD A 3DS FOR MORE THAN 3 WEEKS, CHOOSE LAST OPT

As Wide as the video in spoiler 1. 0 vote(s) 0.0%
As Wide as the video in spoiler 2 and Noise 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Loose left hinge (Spoiler 3)- Can choose both this and one of the two above 0 vote(s) 0.0%
There is no screen movement WHATSOEVER and screen locks neatly into place. 0 vote(s) 0.0%
I HAVE NOT HAD A 3DS FOR AT LEAST THREE WEEKS/ I DO NOT OWN A 3DS 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Jul 4, 2011

tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Video Spoiler 1
    WARNING! Spoilers inside!

Video Spoiler 2

Video Spoiler 3

Right, for once and for all, I want to clear up this 3DS Hinge and Smudging mess. Follow poll instructions. Also, DO NOT COMPLETE THE POLL IF YOU HAVE NOT OWNED A 3DS FOR MORE THAN THREE WEEKS.

The reason for this is that after 3 weeks, 3DSes will have developed strengths and weaknesses from real-life testing.

If possible, please submit the first 6 characters of the Nintendo 3DS Serial code too, so we can differentiate if it is a specific batch(es) of 3DSes which have hinge/smudging, or not.

Poll Question 1 is multiple choice. You may pick two answers. One from "As wide as video 1" or "As wide as video 2" and choose "Loose Left Hinge" or not, or simply choose the last question.

These questions may seem tedious and intrusive, but this is to clear ALL discrepancies with the 3DS, hinges and smudging. So we can guarentee a "standard" 3DS Spec.[/p]

Please choose the poll answer which is as nearest to what your 3DS state is.
    Any questions may be left below.

tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    SAMPLE POST:
    My serial is CEF101******
    I chose Loose left hinge (Spoiler 3)- Can choose both this and one of the two above and As Wide as the video in spoiler 1.
    Also, I chose Many smudges- D-Pad, Buttons AND Touch Screen lines.

Amiti New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Fffff I might have screwed up that poll. I apologize.

I chose option 1 with the Loose Hinge Issue. While I know my 3DS has a wobble to it, it's not AS wide as it is shown in the videos but I notice it is there. Even for video 3, when closed it can move but certainly not that much shown.
    I don't have much smudges as far as I can tell. On the first time I opened my 3DS I put on screen protectors on my screens (one protector for the top screen covers the entire screen). I clean my buttons too .__.

No. CW1021******

omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

Message Count:
    United States
    I only have a smudge on the top screen from the touch screen. It wipes away though.

Black ace New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Hinge is as wide as spoiler 1,I don't have any smudges and I had it for over 3 weeks

No. CEF100

Hydreigon Hopeless Pervert

Message Count:
    United States
    I've only had smudges on the screens, but they can easily be wiped away with a slightly damp cloth. As for the hinge, it wobbles slightly, but no squeaking noise.

Serial #: CW4007*****

Nobunaga The Fool

Message Count:
    Greece
    I had the 2nd problem and i think this is because the 3DS is new nothing to fear about.....
    Well just deal with your 3DS for the moment and if you have more problems just call Nintendo :/

Edit:
    Serial(?):CTR-001

The Pi Lurker

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Smudges can be removed, easily. [IMG]

I've not had any of the common issues whatsoever. Hinge is fine, no scratches on the screen etc. only thing that happened was a black screen once.

CEF103 - what's the actual point though?

jalaneme Female Gamer

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    i've only had my 3ds for a week but i do have smudges on the screen and touch screen, easy to clean though.

serial CEM106

Ace Overclocked My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Message Count:
    Italy
    i have none of the problems on the vids
    my serial is CEM100****** and i have my 3ds since launch
    and look what i found while looking to the vids
    [youtube]http://youtu.be/zh2rhhDxaV8[/youtube]
    poor 3ds

Dialexio we !# r of #tea !

Message Count:
    United States
    My hinge acts like video 2. My vote on the smudges probably isn't an accurate response, since I have screen protectors and I don't notice much smudges (if any) on the D-pad or buttons. There is a LOT on the case though (as should be expected from something glossy).

CW1017
    • Newcomer

RandomOddness New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    I have the loose left hinge when closed and quite strong screen wobble problem but no scratches or smudges that can't easily be wiped off, Serial: CEF102

SirTempest New Member

Message Count:
    Germany
    Hinge is as wide as spoiler 1, I don't have any smudges and I had it for over 3 weeks, but I'm using screen protectors

Serial CEF100

Hanafuda New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    My 3DS has about as much 'play' in the hinge as my GBA-SP, DS-Phat, and DS-Lite have, which is to say just a little wiggle, but nothing I'd ever think about if it weren't for people obsessing over possible flaws in their "precious".

As for the poll, it doesn't seem to offer people who are satisfied with their 3DS anywhere to go.

"There is not screen movement WHATSOEVER" is unrealistic. While there may be some with a hinge that tight, I don't think it's really meant to be. On the other hand, you allow for either the significant wobble of spoiler 1, or the more acceptable wobble in spoiler 2, and Noise. Well, my 3DS as I noted above has a small amount of play in the hinge, same as other Nintendo "clamshell" handhelds I've owned in the past. But it has no squeak or other hinge noise. So, none of the options provided match my circumstance.

edit: oh, and I went for a hike with the 3DS in my pocket today. 10,638 steps for the day. I have yet to see any sign of marks on the upper screen from the touch screen contacting it, despite others' claims of this happening to them.

KingVamp Disgaea, top dog of NIS America!

Message Count:
    United States
    I thought I was only one thinking that (hence I didn't vote) . It should have been like insignificant wobble or something in that area.

felixsrg 3DS Rulz

Message Count:
    Colombia
    Hinge is as wide as spoiler 1, I don't have any smudges and I had it from launch.

Serial: CW1089

Jan1tor New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    My serial is CW7004
    I have no movement
    I have no scratches/smudges
    No squeaks

Just as good as when I bought it and I've dropped it twice. Hit the carpet though.

L_o_N_e_R New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    serial is cw1050

movement like vid one, dropped this sucker twice, both times hitting the leg of a table and its still fine

it has smudges and scratches from the touch screen, as well as for the circle pad.

at least i think so, but i have a screen protector and it has marks on where the bottom screen was and it wont go away

if you want i'll post pics of that to show you what i mean

SanGor Witchhunter

Message Count:
    United States
    CEF102
    As Wide as the video in spoiler 1.
    Many smudges- D-Pad, Buttons AND Touch Screen lines

DJ91990 Dark-Type Trainer

Message Count:
    United States
    My serial is CW107*****[*]
    I chose As Wide as the video in spoiler 1.
    Also, I chose Many smudges- D-Pad, Buttons AND Touch Screen lines.
    ALSO System suffers from Power button Issue due to new firmware update.