Nintendo 3DS Hack Compilation

Discussion in '3DS - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Roguezz, Jan 1, 2013.

?

What do you think about this "hack"?

It's all a hoax! 51 vote(s) 9.5%
It's true! It took almost two years, but WE WIIIIIINNNNN!!!! 237 vote(s) 44.0%
Umm....it might all be a marketing stunt by the big N? 15 vote(s) 2.8%
It's probably real, but it might not be able to launch homebrew or roms... 179 vote(s) 33.2%
I don't care. -.- 57 vote(s) 10.6%
Jan 1, 2013

Nintendo 3DS Hack Compilation by Roguezz at 5:11 AM (521,574 Views / 38 Likes) 1,232 Comments

• Newcomer

Isle41 Pedophile

Message Count:
    Denmark
    Look up the Twilight Hack, an exploit for the wii.

Sometimes you can modify the save data and when the game loads it, it does stuff it's not supposed to. The Twilight Hack had Epona's name (iirc) so long that the game crashed and allowed homebrew to be ran.

In the 3DS case, you can't just replace a save file, you need to sign it before the 3DS will load it.
    Last edited by Isle41, Jan 6, 2013

shub13 The Shubinator

Message Count:
    New Zealand
    So basically we edit a save file to Change say the Players name to go beyond the allowed character's thus causing the game to crash?
    • Newcomer

Isle41 Pedophile

Message Count:
    Denmark
    Something along those lines. I don't know what they're doing to this save game, but I imagine it's something like that.

shub13 The Shubinator

Message Count:
    New Zealand
    So its going to be pretty easy to exploit the 3ds

Im guessing what your saying is once you exploit the savegame
    All your Unsigned homebrew and roms and stuff will appear on the home menu allowing you to run them?

Naridar New Member

Message Count:
    Hungary
    That's the very basic concept of it. More specifically, any variable (but strings generally works the best) is longer than what the system expects and it has no specific command for this event, and thus the memory block that holds it "overflows", rolling over to the next block of RAM. In the Twilight hack's case, a RAM block contained the code to be ran. By making that the continous overflowing (since the TP game had no command for "if the string doesn't end with 8 characters, stop reading and report a corrupt save error) caused a memory block pointer to get into the running code, pointing to the internal SD slot. It's a programming oversight not to think of overly long strings, so I guess Nintendo pays big attention to this one from now on.

I hope it's understandable, I'm not too much of a tech junkie. I also hope it's at least rudimentarily correct :)
    Last edited by Naridar, Jan 6, 2013
    • Newcomer

Isle41 Pedophile

Message Count:
    Denmark
    Naridar has it right.

Well, no. Not at all.
    Unless of course you sign all the stuff and make it into a channel format for the home menu, or modify the home menu a ton, you're probably going to have to boot into a loader (think homebrew channel).
    • Newcomer

Makapaka12345 New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    How long do you expect for the 3DS to be officially hacked?
    Last edited by Makapaka12345, Jan 6, 2013

wiiluver135 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    wouldn't it be ironic if the game they are using to hack the 3DS is OoT 3D :p
    I'd be all like "DAMN NINTY Y U NO FIX UR ZELDAS!?!?!?"
    lol only time will tell

Thorhian My CPU's prefer Water

Message Count:
    United States
    It has been officially hacked. When will people see any fruition? Well, maybe months, maybe not until towards the end of the year, nothing has been said, but seeing as the exploit was just found, it is a bit naive to ask for a release date right now.

Tokiopop Caffeine fiend

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Yeah, that's pretty much it.

The Twilight hack was a smash stack (otherwise known as a stack buffer overflow), and yellows8 has confirmed that the 3DS exploit is also a smash stack. You're correct about the string being too long; there's no contingency in the code for a long string. So when Epona's name is longer than the allocated buffer, it overflows and it fills adjacent buffers too. Epona's name wasn't just a long string though, it was executable code.

I've always been interested in this stuff, and I found this book quite good (it has some simple demonstrations of smash stacks in the programming section). If you're interested you should give it a read!

Edit: This means, of course, you're going to need a specific game for the hack and a way of moving a save file onto it.
    Last edited by Tokiopop, Jan 6, 2013
    spett likes this.
    • Newcomer

Isle41 Pedophile

Message Count:
    Denmark
    I highly doubt this game was made by Nintendo though. I can't imagine them making the same mistake twice.

Lego Star Wars 3? Sure, lego never learned XD

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Message Count:
    United States
    Like this?
    [IMG]
    Last edited by the_randomizer, Jan 6, 2013

kehkou does what Nintendon't

Message Count:
    United States
    I wonder if this will allow flipnote studio to be installed on a 3ds...

wiiluver135 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    pretty much lol
    • Newcomer

Sohakes New Member

Message Count:
    Brazil
    Yeah. Reading what yellows8 said on the IRC, the only different thing is that in the case of the 3DS exploit, it's not executable code. There is a protection on the arm processor that makes the save not executable, so it's impossible to use buffer overflow to put code there. The thing is that it's still possible to control the flow of the code if you can change the stack (where the data is stored), you just need to change the return address of the function to where you want. If you do it many times, you can program anything (probably turing complete depending of the 3ds system library) just changing the return values. That's why yellows8 said it's a ROP exploit, ROP stands for return oriented programming. Anyway, I guess it's not practical to use that to do complex thing, so I think there is still another exploit he explored using ROP, that kernel one someone talked about.

That's what I understood anyway, yellows8 is really friendly and tried to explain on IRC, but maybe I misunderstood. It's a really interesting concept anyway.

alirezay New Member

Message Count:
    Iran
    Hey guys nintendo will test all the games and soon they will erase the exploit so its better for neimomd to release the exploit
    And ofcourse nintendo would not only wait for neimond to release the exploit...
    • Newcomer

Cazoup New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    I'm not sure if I understood you correctly but from my knowledge ( which isn't much trust me) I think if you don't update your 3ds you should be fine since its card based and only really way to stop it is to update firmware. Yes no did I get it right? Kinda just going out on a limb. Just in case I just leave wifi totally turned off

Technicmaster0 New Member

Message Count:
    Germany
    It's not as easy as "testing all games". They don't know which game they're using and they don't know which part of the savegame they edit.

alirezay New Member

Message Count:
    Iran
    Its very easy for nintendo cause nintendo isnt a person ... Even 20 people from nintendo can find the exploit under 3 mouth.and i dont get the point of keeping it secret cause if we dont update even if nintendo releases a update for fixing this neimond can still do it in corrent version!!!!!and he still have time to search for that great exploit(!!!)...

alirezay New Member

Message Count:
    Iran
    No....you can turn ur wifi on cause you have to accept update and 3ds has not an automatic update...