TempLurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
rsz_augmented-reality-cards.jpg

Ever since the system was first revealed at E3 2010, AR – augmented reality – has been one of the 3DS’s most tantalizing new features. Nintendo has been wooing visitors to its preview events with a special AR card depicting a ? Block from the Mario franchise, showing off how the 3DS is able to identify the card in 3D space and construct a convincing game world right on your tabletop. As impressive as the effect is, this card is only one of a set of six included with the 3DS; but until now, no one knew what the other 5 looked like.[/p]

icon11.gif
Source

Finally we all get to see the Augmented Reality cards that the 3DS' camera uses.So hope they release allot more of these.

UltyBomber77

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
IMO having any one of those characters walking around me sounds pretty cool. Just imagine a couple of pikmin walking around on your lap, or having Mario stand on someone's head.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a feeling that Nintendo prepared for this to be revealed early, and made the other 5 cards not work until an update. That's my guess at least. It doesn't make sense for them to only have 1 card with games. At least 1 other card has to have games.

Or they better make a working pokemon fight in the future. Like Invisimals, but actually fun.

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
CA519705950 said:
Looks kinda gimmicky imo. The kind of thing I'll use once out of curiosity but never again.

Yeah but this could become a great game play mechanic if developers actually use it like aforementioned pokemon. Maybe instead of wifi events you can include a AR card with pokemon games to get rare pokemon or such or trainer data and such...

TheTwoR's

Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
I cannot wait to get my 3DS!!
ohnoes.png

Why does it have to be >1 month away?
And all this leaked info.. the unboxing images... the AR cards... everything...
OMG

Hey a question just suddenly popped up in my mind:
Can we just photocopy an AR card?
tongue.gif

EDIT: Sorry double-post
ohnoes.png

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
JinTrigger said:
CA519705950 said:
Looks kinda gimmicky imo. The kind of thing I'll use once out of curiosity but never again.

Yeah but this could become a great game play mechanic if developers actually use it like aforementioned pokemon. Maybe instead of wifi events you can include a AR card with pokemon games to get rare pokemon or such or trainer data and such...

...Or just to fight your pokemon on your own table or floor...

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The cool thing that could come out of this, is if they let you create your own AR cards out of plain sheets of paper. Take pokemon, 1 - 6 is your team, and you have a double battle. You then rearrange your cards on a table (They are labeled 1 - 6). Then you put 7 - 12 on another set of cards when are then distributed accordingly. After this is done, the whole landscape for the battle arena would be recreated on screen and your pokemon would appear and begin to duke it out, but one a 3d Field, and with 3d attacks in realtime.

TheTwoR's

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
deathking said:
are they going to sell these cards ???
if so - piracy with a printer

Well, it doesn't matter if they'll be selling them or not because the 3DS COMES with them so why would you need to pirate?

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
TheTwoR's said:
deathking said:
Well, it doesn't matter if they'll be selling them or not because the 3DS COMES with them so why would you need to pirate?
If the cards come with the 3DS, then there's only one way around this problem...
Pirate the 3DS itself
smileipb2.png

TheTwoR's

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
deathking said:
i dont mean those ones i mean if they start selling new ones

Sorry mate but I don't get you. You just answered your own question.
QUOTE said:

i dont mean those ones i mean if they start selling new ones

If they're sold, they're sold.
If they're not sold, they're not sold.
I don't understand your question at all
tongue.gif

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I was playing around with these in GAME no less than an hour ago. At present on the test model the images pop out but they don't animate. You can change their poses so Samus is firing her cannon or in Morph Ball mode or whatever, but that's about it. Although i will say the Kirby 3D model is as cute as buttons
blush.gif
I'm assuming the system will be updated after launch with new firmware or something that makes these cards actually do something 'cause right now the novelty wears off after about 20 minutes. It has great potential for things like Pokemon (why no Pikachu card?) but right now it's just a gimmick. Give it time and we'll surely see it go somewhere. Hopefully. Unlike say, the six-axis controls on the PS3, which I've not seen used in a game since Uncharted 2...

Incidentally, if anyone's concerned about the 3D effects still, I did a little test today. I've had next to no sleep, so my vision was kinda wonky already this morning (not the best time to have to go to work). Figured now's the time to test the 3DS at its worst, right? Well, to be fair when I had the 3D on full it wasn't easy for my tired eyes to adjust, so adapting to it took a little longer than normal. It's usually damn near instant for my eyes to adjust but when I'm tired it takes a few extra seconds for them to focus on the 3D screen. But when I turned the 3D down to about 60% it was fine, worked quite nicely. So it's handy having different settings on the effects, it means you can find your own level depending on the state of your eyes at the time.

The battery life is still a minor concern, but it's only a huge drain when using the advanced features like the AR cards. Playing the games doesn't seem to be as draining, even with the 3D set to a decent level. The staff at GAME have been conducting constant tests on it (by which I mean you can't get Ayla off DOA) and they've found that the cameras and the AR cards are by far the most draining. With the 3D set to about 60% which is about right for most people's eyes, the battery lasts a little longer in their experience.

Funny how there's a big poster on the tills saying the test model is for staff use only, no customers are to use it in case of theft. Ayla's reading it out loud before she signs it and I'm 3 feet away from her messing about with the AR cards. I could abuse that trust SO bad if I ever went evil...
evil.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1