shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
UniqueGeek said:
More likely that the anti-piracy code is in each game, in addition to the system.

It isn't even out yet, so we have no way of really knowing.
they have already done that, M&L BIS pokemon, yet still cracked

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Veho said:
I'm just saying, if they warn you in advance that their product will destroy flashcards, and you agree to it, you really can't complain if later on the product actually does destroy your flashcard.

Rydian said:
4 - An EULA is overruled by actual law in cases where it contradicts it.

Rydian said:
Hell, Nintendo accounts for that last point in the Wii's EULA.

Article 16: Governing Law, Legal Jurisdiction, and Interpretation of Agreement

This agreement and any claims arising under it is governed by the laws of the state of Washington, without reference to conflict of laws principles. If you want to sue us with respect to a claim related to this agreement, your lawsuit must be brought in King County, Washington, and you consent to the jurisdiction of courts located there. You agree that if any part of this agreement is determined to be invalid or unenforceable, that part will no longer apply and will be considered deleted from the agreement, but all other parts of the agreement will remain in effect. You further agree that we may replace the invalid part by a provision which reflects or comes closest to reflecting the initial intention. If we choose not to enforce a provision of the agreement, you agree that we are not waiving our right to do so in the future.
Nintendo right there is saying "If any part of this contradicts law, you still have to follow the other parts, and we can replace the contradicting part with one that abides by the law."

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
rolleyes.gif

Your point? If you stick a fork in a toaster, you can't sue the manufacturer for getting electrocuted. You can invoke whatever law you want. Again, if they warn you in advance that their product will destroy flashcards, and you agree to it, you really can't complain if later on the product actually does destroy your flashcard.

And if you think any of the laws you mentioned applies to this particular case, I'd like to see some precedents.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Veho said:
rolleyes.gif

Your point? If you stick a fork in a toaster, you can't sue the manufacturer for getting electrocuted.That falls under item number 3, not four.
QUOTE(Rydian @ Aug 8 2010, 12:40 AM) 3 - Nintendo purposely bricking a device which is in your possession would be illegal. (PDF, just one law example.)

You're fucking trolling and I'm getting tired of it.

I have called bullshit on YOU, I have already backed my shit up countless times, you have not backed up ANYTHING and you still say I'm wrong without even reading any of the shit I'm linkingh.

You're trolling.

Fucking quit it.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Oh come on
rolleyes.gif

I swear I'm not trolling.

I'm saying the law you're constantly linking to does not apply in this case because there's too many undefined variables, and if you want to prove it does, you'll have to cite some precedents. They're not coming to your house to destroy your property, you're doing it yourself by putting a flashcard into a device that you know destroys flashcards. You're sticking a flashcard into a documented flashcard-destroying machine and then complaining that lo and behold, it destroyed your flashcard. It's like complaining that a paper shredder destroyed the papers you put in it.

It's highly unlikely that Nintendo would adopt such a tactic, because flashcard manufacturers would find a way around it in a week or two, and it's much simpler to just ban the console from online services or block flashcards with firmware upgrades. I'm not saying they'll do it (I highly doubt they will, in fact), but if they did, I doubt you'd be able to sue them for it.

And the whole discussion is based on our interpretations of the law, since the wording is open to interpretations, and until we see a court ruling on this particular (or a significantly similar) case we can go back and forth with this ad infinitum.

Unless, of course, one of us becomes conviced the other one is trolling. Sheesh. I was just trying to have a discussion here.

jimwhat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You two will never come to a legal agreement.
I don't know if you guys have noticed, but you guys are from different countries.
Which means different laws.
Even if one of you posts a law to support your argument, that law won't necessarily affect the other person because their country might not have that law.

On Topic:
The best way to combat privacy is by using the internet. Most games are moving toward online multiplayer. They should have something that makes you register your game online if you want to participate in online activities. Since each game will only have 1 code, people won't be able to use roms because you cant register two of the same codes.

It would be similar to what most companies use to make sure only one person can use a code to use their software

e.g. Photoshop, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Windows, Anti virus programs, etc.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Neither of you are trolling. You both have well fixed opinions on this matter and refuse to abandon them, no matter what. I think specifically, Rydian is right, but Veho could be too. You never know what can happen in court. Now, this argument is going nowhere.

The whole topic is stupid anyway. Nintendo wouldn't/couldn't destroy flash cards. Rydian's correct, it's on very questionable legal grounds. They could get sued, and Ninty don't like lawsuits. Beyond that, it's not technically feasible.

Chaz.

Trophies
XP
Country
One thing is that Nintendo have already said that some carts are 2GB in size. Well, Micro SD cards only go up 32GB as far as I know, maybe 64GB. And I'm pretty sure some people will only buy 8GB SD cards anyway to download to due to price. So buying 3DS cart about what £20? MicroSD Card 32 GB £80? IMO leave the antipiracy, buy the game. Leave flashcarts for homebrew.

liquidnumb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If we see an accessible cart based solution, it may well support sdxc. Those will eventually come down in price, probably sooner than you think.

joshbean39

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FLASH CARTS ARE NOT illegal unless you use it to parit games so if nintendo destroys your flash cart and you use it for homebrew they should be sued for destroying your property its not anti flash carts its anti piricy

jimwhat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EZ-Megaman said:
Well flashcards were banned in some places recently and they said that this would help stop piracy on the 3DS or something along those lines so I bet they don't have much faith in it= :3

Rydian said:
You've posted jack shit to back up your side.
Don't remind me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZL12uc5qQg ...

Usually it wasn't all flash cards that were being banned. It was mostly the R4 that got banned. Most of the others are ok.

dhjohn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
joshbean39 said:
FLASH CARTS ARE NOT illegal unless you use it to parit games so if nintendo destroys your flash cart and you use it for homebrew they should be sued for destroying your property its not anti flash carts its anti piricy

Any flashcart that is DSi 1.4 compatible is illegal (at least in the US).
Two reasons:
1) They contain copyrighted code (to get past the protection).
2) They get past the protection (At least, I believe this makes them illegal thanks to DMCA. Not positive though. If someone knows that I have this wrong, let me know).

kenzspellz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
i do0nt think it would have something so advance that the ds could detect roms and real games. it's just months of 1 year after the DSi came out. so i doubt that the 3ds have the technologyto be able to overwrite.i doubt that the system is so advance like a computer =) i think that it would be something like dsi or ds that u will be able to use flash cards etc.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Brian10122 said:
DS Carts = Not rewritable.
But they can be written to, maybe nintendo will just put a save file in it that the 3ds will recognise as PIRATE.SAV
tongue.gif

Veho said:
QUOTE(Nollog @ Aug 6 2010, 07:55 PM) Damaging your products after selling them is illegal.
No it isn't.
I disagree.
When you buy a shovel, you don't expect the shovel maker to come after you and break your shovel for patting the dirt over the tree you just planted with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended