Nintendo 2DS I tried to Hardmod it and damaged it-Need help

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by spanner, Aug 9, 2017.

1. spanner
    OP

spanner Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 25, 2008
    Well it all went wrong,first the screws wouldn't unscrew so I tried to cut the tops of,NEVER do it cos I have damaged my 2DS Mother Board now,in the end I used my soldering iron on the screws and was able to remove them(the heat melted the plastic around the screw so I could lift the MB up of the case,wish I did it in the beginning,wouldn't have this problem now.),it works and boots ok but the R Button,X and looks like maybe my Start and Select buttons don't work.

I can see a crack in the the screw hole at the top left where the R button is,I am getting a bit confused cos I am look at the MB and trying to trace tracks and they look like they go no where.does the MB have hidden tracks or something..??

is the hidden tracks under where the battery sits,cos thats where I have damaged it..?

I show some pictures but you will not like what you see,cos I can't believe what I did it.what a twat.

I did solder the wires on the MB to Hardmod it but the wires were to thick and pulled of the pad to the CMD and DAT0 Dam I think DSes don't like me,had a problem with putting my DSiXL in a new case the case end up damaging the cable to the top screen and had to buy a new one but that went in ok so thats ok now,its a Super Mario 25th Anniversary DSiXL.

(have to post pictures soon my phone needs charging,any help anyone can give is much deprecated.

2. SkyQueen

SkyQueen Arch3DS Developer || B0MBrHax

Apr 23, 2016
    Japan
    Seteguya-ku, Tokyo, Japan
    ....... I am really sorry.... I need laugh at this bit of misfortune.

3. spanner
    OP

spanner Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 25, 2008
    This is what I get for slagging off Nintendo...HAHAHA..:) .. (:

4. spanner
    OP

spanner Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 25, 2008
    Here are the photos..I am weeping on the quiet... :(

20170809_175346.jpg 20170809_175410.jpg 20170809_175424.jpg 20170809_175504.jpg 20170809_175516.jpg 20170809_175535.jpg 20170809_175741.jpg 20170809_175751.jpg

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I've seen far worse damage caused by botched mods (melted/burned components and such)
    It doesn't seem like any of that damage would affect the 3DS, as long as you make sure the exposed copper isn't touching any metal (put electrical tape over it), as all the traces seem to be intact.
    But I'm no expert on the 3DS hardware, so I'll leave helping you up to people more knowledgeable than me.
    @gamesquest1 @vb_encryption_vb

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Aug 9, 2017
    Ricken likes this.
  6. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    I can't see exactly where the crack is but yeah the motherboard has multiple layers so it's virtually impossible to follow a trace if it goes through one of the middle layers, best chance would be trying to get a working motherboard and seeing if you can pinpoint where each trace leads and soldering bridges

And for future reference always use a very good quality screw driver set and correct sized bit, if you are slipping and chewing up the head of the screw you should stop and try to get a better screw driver, that said the 2ds system do often have exceptionally tight fitting screws and the quality of the screws are a bit crap so while normally you can get away with a similar sized tip, on the 2ds you need to be very careful

7. vb_encryption_vb

vb_encryption_vb That hardmod guy....

Nov 21, 2015
    United States
    Acworth, GA
    Well, I've got nothing...SMH.

8. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Vanuatu
    You should of drilled off the screw heads.

9. spanner
    OP

spanner Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 25, 2008
    Does anyone know where the buttons go,if you look at the first pic thats the buttons (Y,X,B,A) and the r button on the top of the board.

10. slightpain

slightpain Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2017
    United States
    looking to get my new 3ds xl hardmodded, cant pm i guess due to being new member