Nintendo’s First-Ever Super Bowl Ad Features Nintendo Switch, The Legend of Zelda

For the first time ever, Nintendo will run an ad during the Super Bowl. The 30-second spot, which along with an extended 90-second version can be seen here:

Full Press Release said:
The ad also features a new song by Imagine Dragons called “Believer” that premiered worldwide Jan. 31.

The star of the ad, which is scheduled to run during the game’s fourth quarter on Feb. 5, is Nintendo Switch, which combines the power of a home console with the mobility of a hand-held video game system.

The star of the ad, which is scheduled to run during the game’s fourth quarter on Feb. 5, is Nintendo Switch, which combines the power of a home console with the mobility of a hand-held video game system. People can play on their TVs at home, then grab Nintendo Switch and continue playing seamlessly wherever they go.

The ad also shows off The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which breaks conventions to become the next defining moment in the classic franchise. It offers the most immersive world that Nintendo has ever created and sends players on an adventure they will never forget.

“The most anticipated video game system and video game of the year will be seen on the biggest stage of the year,” said Nicolas Chavez, Nintendo of America’s Vice President of Marketing. “Nintendo Switch will change how, when and where people play games. It’s only fitting that we’re changing how, when and where we advertise those games.”

The soundtrack to Nintendo’s ad, “Believer” by Imagine Dragons, is available now on iTunes, Apple Music, Google Play, Amazon mp3 and Spotify, and is part of an upcoming new album from the band. This is not the first collaboration between Nintendo and Imagine Dragons, whose members are longtime fans of the video game company and The Legend of Zelda franchise. At The Game Awards in 2014, the band closed the show by performing a medley of music from The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask with veteran Nintendo composer Koji Kondo.

The extended cut of the ad demonstrates the versatility of Nintendo Switch by showcasing the system in a variety of locations where home video games are not traditionally played, from a classroom to a kitchen to a laundromat. It also shows a number of upcoming single- and multiplayer games for the system, and how Nintendo Switch introduces fun new ways to play.

The names and launch timing of Nintendo Switch games featured in the extended cut include The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (March 3), 1-2-Switch (March 3), Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (April), ARMS (spring), Splatoon 2 (summer), Just Dance 2017 from Ubisoft (March 3) and Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers from Capcom (launch timing TBD). Nintendo Switch will be available at a suggested retail price of $299.99.

LZBOTW_TVC_9.jpg

:arrow: Source: GBAtemp Inbox

player594

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have also been a member of a Nintendo forum for 11 years. You may have never played it but I bet a nickel you had prior exposure to it in both descriptive and visual form.
Not other than hearing the name Splatoon mentioned in a post somewhere at one time or another.

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
That is the extended cut but the 30 second cut that is actually airing is just the loner dude playing Zelda. Seems depressing to me.

I think that is going to fall way short and create no buzz at all. Even the extended cut is not memorable and will not be talked about in Monday.

Seems like a real lost opportunity.

Where were the days when companies insulted their competitors and said their console is better
I miss SNES vs Genesis days

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Fuck the Patriots won. The Switch will fail. Online sucks. Nintendo has two year till bankruptcy. Gaming is dead. Going to bed now.
The refs gave them the win, as per usual. Kept 'em in it on a couple key third downs and then called the PI to put the Pats on the 1 and gift 'em the win. Was pretty sickening.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The refs gave them the win, as per usual. Kept 'em in it on a couple key third downs and then called the PI to put the Pats on the 1 and gift 'em the win. Was pretty sickening.
Thanks for the pep talk. I was gathering up my Wii U and was about to go all Office Space on it in the back yard.

Reactions: Xzi

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I find it a bit strange that they're spending Superbowl kind of money to put an ad out to middle America to sell a system that can be neither purchased nor pre-purchased currently by the viewing audience.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I find it a bit strange that they're spending Superbowl kind of money to put an ad out to middle America to sell a system that can be neither purchased nor pre-purchased currently by the viewing audience.
There will no doubt be some shelf stock available, it's just to build hype in general.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 5M they spent on that ad is just part of the opening salvo for their North America media campaign and is likely just a drop in the bucket. They know a sustained media campaign will be required assure success. Those hands on promotional events likely cost at least that much to pull off.

I recall that when the Wii U launched I was not reached at all by their ad campaign. I read a few articals about it and was left really confused about the gamepad. Having just invested $600 or so in a full Wii setup a few years before I was fine with what we had. My boys were 7 and 10 and I was really trying to figure out how this thing was going to work with one kid having this controller with a screen but not the other. Hard to convince a parent to spend $300+ to invite more conflict and chaos into their home. There were hints of a second one being available on the horizon so I just shelved the thought until that came along. We didn't end up getting one until Christmas 2014 which by that point we knew it was kind of a failure but had a decent enough game library available on the used market to make it viable and I still wasn't happy about only one gamepad.

It took two years to convince me to purchase one. I expect Nintendo is going to continue to hammer home the use cases for the Switch again and again. Probably spending a lot more than they would prefer in marketing. All the while sprinkling in the hint that having a Switch is going to get you laid. :rofl2:

Last edited by thorasgar,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: