Ni no Kuni Translation [ENG]

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Zkarts, Nov 7, 2014.

Nov 7, 2014

Ni no Kuni Translation [ENG] by Zkarts at 10:01 AM (119,519 Views / 51 Likes) 404 replies

1. Woodland

Newcomer Woodland Member

United Kingdom
    This is such good news! Can't wait.

2. RoyKawaii

Newcomer RoyKawaii Newbie

Israel
    OMG I SCREAMED WHEN I CHECKED THIS PAGE RIGHT NOW!!!

5%????!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!? OMG I AM SO EXCITED :D :D :D

Anjiera likes this.
  3. Anjiera

Newcomer Anjiera Advanced Member

Canada
    So are we! The last 5% is the crappy annoying stuff that we left until the end. The ~700 Imagen and ~500 Item descriptions, of which we're done a little less than half of.

At least with the Item descriptions it is obvious how the file that contains the Item names maps to the other file that holds the descriptions. Nobody on our team (and several people have looked) can seem to figure out how the Imagen name file relates to the Imagen description file. So, I'm having to read the description in Japanese of the Imagen, guess at what it probably is, open my JP Magic Master, see if my guess was right, and if not pore through the Magic Master to see if I can find a similar description in the book somewhere. Going from the book description to the game description is not much better, since it is hard to know what keyword to use to narrow down your search, and a lot of the descriptions are slightly different between the book and the game text, even though it is all in Japanese. Blergh.

Anyway, I don't think the last 5% is going to take months of extra time, but it is going a lot more slowly than I had hoped, especially compared to the usual story dialogues that I've been working on.

Still, less than 5% means this shit is happening eventually, with eventually being definitely sometime this freaking year which is incredible. I am super proud of all the work the team has been doing, and their dedication to double-check hundreds of names across tens of thousands of files to make sure things are consistent. We're still finding things, and I'm sure the first patch will still have some wily typos and such that we missed, but... soon. Sooner than I would have bet even last September. :D

Thanks for the encouragement!

4. Anjiera

Newcomer Anjiera Advanced Member

Canada
    Someone from Reddit set up a Discord Server to talk about Ni No Kuni (all of the games, not just this one). It is a public server, as opposed to the translation team's private Slack for discussing translation work and graphics and rom changes. So far there are only around 10 people that have joined, but it has only been live for ~10 days or so from the looks of it.
    https://discord.gg/eW944K6

5. sephurchin

Member sephurchin GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Great work everyone! Your hard work is paying of. Now take a deep breath, your almost done.