[News] YesOJO Switch Dock Projector Open for Pre-Orders on IndieGogo.

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by aykay55, Oct 28, 2017.

?

Will you get it?

1. Yah! 100% I need this!

3.4%
  2. For showing off and bragging rights.

1.7%
  3. Maybe, if my savings account has enough.

13.6%
  4. Not worth it.

72.9%
  5. No way! This is making it un-portable!

8.5%
  1. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Gig...lgo_pvid=1bfb191d-5882-4b73-a876-d74ef5070b85

Here is another: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Gig...lgo_pvid=6f0f3c3d-a01d-40af-9a4f-7da8971fdf2e

Here is yet another one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELEPHAS-Pr...qid=1509434211&sr=1-5&keywords=mini+projector

There is a ton of better once, native resolutions are always crappy but they can mostly do 720p without issues.

EDIT: Hmm a big warning! I find no one using eviewtek in their projectors. Therefore they seem to be untested. I been trying to google and find it but at no luck.

Last edited by linuxares, Oct 31, 2017
  2. Ritsuki

Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Mar 15, 2008
    Switzerland
    Why is everyone thinking that I like this product when like you, I'm saying it's poorly done :D I'm not even talking about Indiegogo, just saying that the idea is good, but execution is awful, but also with that price you can't expect perfection when you know the price of a real projector.

But again, this all in one projector is a good idea imho. I didn't check all the projectors you proposed, but the first one is even worse than the project (320*240 resolution). It says it supports Full HD, which I learned is just a marketing trap, it only means it can only do some kind of messy upscale from 320*240 to Full HD, or that it accepts Full HD sources, but will have to downscale it

You're absolutely right, but does the Nyko dock have a projector? Genuine question, I don't know about that dock? And buying everything separately would kind of beat the "portableness" of the item, which is one of the main "features". I'm just saying that people get a little bit too blinded by the fact that the project is on Indiegogo who's famous for crap things. And again, a real projector (sorry but those aliexpress ones are really awful...) is super expensive, so for that price, can't really ask for more. But again, yes it's crap :D

3. cybrian

cybrian Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    Okay, to be clear, I only mentioned my projector because if you’re willing to look you can find one miles ahead of this for the same price.

Regardless, the main point is that this dock’s projector is one of those shitty LED Pico Projectors from AliExpress. It just happens to have a Nintendo Switch dock built into it. I guess if you are willing to pay inflated costs for portability so be it. But I’d bet anything that this projector is no better than something you’d get on AliExpress for $50.

EDIT: As far as it being mono goes, though, I’ve literally never seen a projector with stereo sound, and while I’m sure they do exist I’d be blown away if it wasn’t god awful. No matter what projector you get, unless you spend a literal fortune on (a not-so-portable) one designed for a home theater system you’re gonna get sound that’s worse than you’d get out of the Switch in handheld mode.

Last edited by cybrian, Nov 1, 2017
  4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    No way. I would rather get an universal portable projector which will likely do a better job.

Edit: Yuck, it's 854x480. Why do all these portable projectors suck, I expect better for 300 bucks.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Nov 1, 2017
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  5. NekoMichi

NekoMichi Retro Collector

Jun 4, 2015
    Minus World
    Here are a few screenshots I took with a capture card, then downscaled to the same resolution as OJO Projector:

full_inventory.jpg
    Super Mario Odyssey Screen Shot 04-11-2017, 11.51-2.png
    Super Mario Odyssey Screen Shot 04-11-2017, 11.58.png
    Super Mario Odyssey Screen Shot 04-11-2017, 12.02.png
    Super Mario Odyssey Screen Shot 04-11-2017, 12.06.png

It's not completely bad, but I sure wouldn't like to be reading small text at that scale. Couple that with lighting aberrations from the projector environment, and you might end up straining your eyes quite a bit.

Last edited by NekoMichi, Nov 4, 2017
  6. aykay55
    OP

aykay55 The Ideas Guy, Professional Idiot

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    Wherever there's food. And Nintendo.
    Thanks for the screenshots! It seems very much playable except for the second screen shot, where the text isn't very bold, but otherwise it's okay. Will latency be an issue?

7. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    Did you add a 5% blur to account for the projector screen not being in prefect focus?

VinLark and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  8. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    And a 300-600% zoom to account for being projected onto a wall

Xzi likes this.
  9. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    well want a beamer. Buy a proper one instead of these shitty led beamers

10. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    The intention is nice, but there's so many factors unaccounted for here.

11. VinLark

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Psychosystem Denomination
    It's more then the fucking console...

also who wants a projector?

12. aykay55
    OP

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    I'm starting to believe your as old as your avatar. If you want to play 1080p 60fps games without a TV, then you get a projector.

13. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Yeah but why would you want to, unless you're in a place that already has one?

VinLark likes this.
  14. VinLark

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Psychosystem Denomination
    Um.... monitor? Let's imagine a place where you wouldn't have a TV, or a monitor, that would be a fitting place for a PROJECTOR.

15. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    *portable projector, but point still stands

16. aykay55
    OP

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    An outdoor party, a camp, in a basement, anywhere without a TV. It doesn't require any wires, so you can play ANYWHERE, unlike a monitor, where you need an HDMI, and a cord for power, and have to put it on a table.

Last edited by aykay55, Nov 6, 2017
  17. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    Yeah, if only there was some sort of super portable monitor for the Switch, say 6.5" or so, that you can bring with you anywhere you go and doesn't need wires or to be plugged in...

Last edited by Futurdreamz, Nov 6, 2017
    grubgrub, VinLark, Xzi and 1 other person like this.
  18. g00s3y

g00s3y Asshole

Aug 6, 2008
    United States
    FL
  19. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    The projector resolution and lumens are very poor for any decent application and the price is too much. also having 2 high-RPM fans will make this thing loud assuming it ramps up to that speed.

for a portable projector, 1280x720@60 with 500 lumens should be the bare minimum nowadays, this has less resolution then a portable projector in the ~250$ price range that the indiegogo page shows.