Android Newer apps on older Android version

JFTS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Doesn't say anywhere what Android version it features but judging by the fact that it was released around the end of 2011, it's probably way outdated, even for a custom rom.

Last edited by JFTS,

JFTS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Isn't Nougat for touch screen only devices? The home and menu buttons appear on screen, but the GT-S5570 already has physical buttons. If they also appear on this custom rom, there's no point to lose any screen real-estate.

JFTS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Thanks. But I will try the rom on another device. If it's successful, I might use it on the GT-S5570 too.

JFTS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Yes, lol, I get it. I'm just not putting any bullshit rom on my phone again. I'll try it on an old tablet. lol.

SagaP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Still, could someone explain to me why can't these apps that I described work on older Android? What APIs, libraries or whatever this stuff is called could possibly be required for a cleaning app and a freaking dictionary?
Well an API (application programming interface) "is a set of subroutine definitions, protocols, and tools for building application software. In general terms, it's a set of clearly defined methods of communication between various software components"(look wikipedia for a more in depth explanation) to put it simple, is a kind of translator between the code you make and the device, things like "turn on the wifi" and "connect to the internet in background in this app" (bad examples i know but i'am trying to make myself understood) the problem on android is that in between versions the API is Modified, (Calls change their sintaxis, or name, Some change their original functions, some are merged because they were too similar) the point is that your 4.0.1 app can't communicate whit your 2.3.6 device. It might seen weird if your comparing it to how OS works in PC nowadays, the reason for that is there is a "standard" on how a PC should work and behave, Smartphones in the other hand, are constantly changing, Software and Hardware, new functions, new custom parts, different companies etc.

You should keep trying to install a custom ROM, your model is old but it is from a Known Company with a decent amount of support, if the ROM is designed for your model it should work, you can't install ROMs designed for other devices, i have this link http://www.htcmania.com/showthread.php?t=399821 is a collection of everything related to your device (ROMs and Tutorials) is in Spanish tough, and it is old, some links do not work (not all of them are dead i check), try translate with google and see if it is good.

Reactions: JFTS

JFTS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Thanks for the information.

For an operating system that takes so much pride on itself for being "open-source", there surely is some well-thought, forced obsolescence horseshit going on...

I will check out more about custom roms, but as I said, I'm not fiddling with this particular phone anymore. It's not worth the effort, even if it is temporarily softbricked.

rex4

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello ScarletDreamz, could you please try to change the minSdkVersion of the ARM version of Wine (I can't paste you the link as a new member but it's the first link if you google "wine android") ? I have a samsung galaxy S that can be upgraded to an higher version of android but it has only 512mb of ram, while I have an Huawei g740 that has twice memory but is stuck to 4.1.2, maybe it's close enough.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night