Homebrew Newbie needs help updating old 3DS

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's some things I don't quite understand yet.
  1. How do I get and use and emuNAND partition?
  2. How do I choose what CTRNAND I use?
  3. What is CTRNAND?
Any and every response would be helpful
  1. In Godmode9, press the HOME button, select More... -> SD format menu. This also allows to setup a RedNAND or GW type EmuNAND on your SD card. After you setup the emuNAND, you can use it with Gateway following the above guide (but you need to downgrade it first).
  2. You browse your SD files while in GodMode9, and you click the CTRNAND image you want to use. You need to download the 9.2 CTRNAND image file.
  3. In layman's terms, it's a NAND backup that isn't device-specific.

Reactions: TerminusPhil

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Considering that I'm as outdated as an GW (which holds true), I have a question.

Isn't it more advantageous to use a GW because of the extra storage space you have in the game cartridge?

I'm starting to accept that I have to stop using GW, but the extra storage sure is nice
Instead of following the guide @Quantumcat linked to convert your saves, you can use this tool to make it a bit easier: https://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-save-export-helper.465503/

I still use my Gateway, I have like 60 games on it and redownloading/converting them all would be a hassle, although I'll do it sometime.

TerminusPhil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
For the sake of this guide, I'm assuming you no longer have an emuNAND.
  1. Backup all of your SD card contents.
  2. Run GodMode9.
  3. Use GodMode9 to copy your sysNAND to a new emuNAND partition.
  4. Use this guide and GodMode9 to perform a 9.2 CTRNAND transfer to the emuNAND partition.
    • Instead of using the 11.5 CTRNAND image in the guide, use a 9.2 CTRNAND image.
  5. Follow this guide to run Gateway on your 9.2 emuNAND using B9S.
  6. Follow this guide to backup your important Gateway save files.
If you don't want to do a CTRNAND transfer, there are other, more complicated, ways to downgrade.

Now in step 4. I assumed that I have to do the process in the guide in the EmuNAND, not in the SysNAND, which may be wrong to start with but sounded reasonable enough for me. Now I'm in Section II step 15 of the same guide and the ctrtransfer_ticket_copy only has the option to be applied to SysNAND

Suggestions?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now in step 4. I assumed that I have to do the process in the guide in the EmuNAND, not in the SysNAND, which may be wrong to start with but sounded reasonable enough for me. Now I'm in Section II step 15 of the same guide and the ctrtransfer_ticket_copy only has the option to be applied to SysNAND

Suggestions?
That part is unimportant, since the emuNAND won't be around for long anyway.

TerminusPhil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That part is unimportant, since the emuNAND won't be around for long anyway.

In what step does the guide start to be important again?

In the current state I don't know if it's secure for me to boot EmuNAND or GWNAND and how to boot the to start with

Last edited by TerminusPhil,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In what step does the guide start to be important again?

In the current state I don't know if it's secure for me to boot EmuNAND or GWNAND and how to boot the to start with
For your purposes, you only need to do the actual CTRNAND transfer. After that, you can proceed to backing up your save files.

TerminusPhil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Instead of following the guide @Quantumcat linked to convert your saves, you can use this tool to make it a bit easier: https://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-save-export-helper.465503/

I still use my Gateway, I have like 60 games on it and redownloading/converting them all would be a hassle, although I'll do it sometime.

Finally arrived at this last and long step. I'd like to use this tool, but, as this tread name says, I'm still a noewbie. If you can explain how to use this tool instead of the one @Quantumcat suggested (which has a guide on the thread) I would be very much grateful

Edit: [How do I use hacks in GWNAND? This looks like an essencial step I can't figure it out]

Thanks in advance

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Finally arrived at this last and long step. I'd like to use this tool, but, as this tread name says, I'm still a noewbie. If you can explain how to use this tool instead of the one @Quantumcat suggested (which has a guide on the thread) I would be very much grateful

Edit: [How do I use hacks in GWNAND? This looks like an essencial step I can't figure it out]

Thanks in advance
My pack in the second post has instructions included in the archive. As for reimporting them to CIA that's as easy as running the regular version of JKSM, finding the installed CIA in the list and selecting the option called something like import save data.
Some games save to extdata but that's saved in the same spot for .3ds and .cia games anyway so it shouldn't have to be touched.

What do you mean by hacks? Game mods? Or cheats?

TerminusPhil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
My pack in the second post has instructions included in the archive. As for reimporting them to CIA that's as easy as running the regular version of JKSM, finding the installed CIA in the list and selecting the option called something like import save data.
Some games save to extdata but that's saved in the same spot for .3ds and .cia games anyway so it shouldn't have to be touched.

What do you mean by hacks? Game mods? Or cheats?

I even read your instructions but I couldn't get it how I am suposed to do step 5 (Launch GWSE from the home menu...) when GWSE doesn't appear on the home menu

With hacks I meant homebrew, GWSE, JKSM and such

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I even read your instructions but I couldn't get it how I am suposed to do step 5 (Launch GWSE from the home menu...) when GWSE doesn't appear on the home menu

With hacks I meant homebrew, GWSE, JKSM and such
You installed both CIAs?
Look again, it must be there. It should have a MicroSD icon that says GW on it IIRC.

TerminusPhil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
GWNAND works so fine that I can play in it. Both CIAS are installed. But they just appear in the SysNAND

When opening GWEH in SysNand, this appears:
Code:
Gateway Save Export Helper

Save manager:
   JKSM Auto
Save manager UniqueID
   2C23300
Save manger save file:
   /0004000002C23300.sav

Please choose a ROM to use!
START: Exit

(Lower Screen)
/gwse_config.lua used

Theory: Maybe it has something to do with the way I boot the GWNAND. In this guide that I used (thank you again @Lacius ) the way to boot in turning the power on with the down d-pad pressed, not in the DS configs

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
GWNAND works so fine that I can play in it. Both CIAS are installed. But they just appear in the SysNAND

When opening GWEH in SysNand, this appears:
Code:
Gateway Save Export Helper

Save manager:
   JKSM Auto
Save manager UniqueID
   2C23300
Save manger save file:
   /0004000002C23300.sav

Please choose a ROM to use!
START: Exit

(Lower Screen)
/gwse_config.lua used

Theory: Maybe it has something to do with the way I boot the GWNAND. In this guide that I used (thank you again @Lacius ) the way to boot in turning the power on with the down d-pad pressed, not in the DS configs
You have to mount the game before running GWSE.

TerminusPhil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just to be sure, mounting means selecting it in the SELECT menu in the GWNAND, right? Because if it is, it's not working. GWEH still doesn't appear in GWNAND

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum