Hardware [New3DSXL] Housing shell replacement

Leslie White

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi everyone, as I don't have enough money to buy the lovely Majora's Mask N3DS XL limited edition, I bought the housing shell kit on a well known chinese site. That my black N3DSXL can become all gold and shiny :)

aPCXIaP.jpg

But as I don't know how to proceed and don't wanna mess up with my N3DS, I was wondering if someone had a tutorial to replace the external front shell (the one with the majora's mask pattern). Do I just need to remove the four screws from the front shell ? Or do I need to take apart my whole 3DS ? Thanks for your answers.

Tyrant82

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi,

Can you please tell me this well known chinese site for the shells? I want to search it for the Famicom one, maybe they habe this kit also :)

Reactions: gnmmarechal

Tyrant82

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Oh yeah Ali haha. Should habe thought of it on my own.. Oh well. Thanks :) But it seems i am still out of luck for my super Famicom shell :(

Reactions: fodder

ksanislo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone, as I don't have enough money to buy the lovely Majora's Mask N3DS XL limited edition, I bought the housing shell kit on a well known chinese site. That my black N3DSXL can become all gold and shiny :)

But as I don't know how to proceed and don't wanna mess up with my N3DS, I was wondering if someone had a tutorial to replace the external front shell (the one with the majora's mask pattern). Do I just need to remove the four screws from the front shell ? Or do I need to take apart my whole 3DS ? Thanks for your answers.

There are passable docs on how to disassemble the n3DS XL over here on iFixIt. The docs on opening up the top screen are basically non existent however, but all you have to do is slip a guitar pick style prying tool in a side and pop the clips free, then work it around... You do have to pull the 4 screws under the rubber caps beside the top screen first, and from my experience there's no way to get them off without damage. I replaced the 3D slider on my system a week or two ago, and ended up destroying them with the tip of an x-acto knife while getting them out, so be aware and try to find some replacements beforehand if you're concerned about how it looks.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did a shell change with my Wii a few years back (for a clear case with an LED that can change colors or stay one any one color), it was scary, even with a manual/instruction pdf to explain how to do it. But doing something like that for the 3DS would be far more scary to me. So much so that despite how much I want to change from the standard black look to something more exciting, I just would be too afraid to do it, the 3DS has 2 screens, a hinge, and all the buttons to worry about with such a mod. I know there are people out there that are well versed for this kind of thing, but I don't think I could ever do this myself, despite not being afraid to and wanting to in similar situations.

ksanislo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did a shell change with my Wii a few years back (for a clear case with an LED that can change colors or stay one any one color), it was scary, even with a manual/instruction pdf to explain how to do it. But doing something like that for the 3DS would be far more scary to me. So much so that despite how much I want to change from the standard black look to something more exciting, I just would be too afraid to do it, the 3DS has 2 screens, a hinge, and all the buttons to worry about with such a mod. I know there are people out there that are well versed for this kind of thing, but I don't think I could ever do this myself, despite not being afraid to and wanting to in similar situations.

I get that people are afraid to try this sort of thing because it's small and kind of expensive, but I don't follow why it's such a problem. As long as you go slow and make sure you pay attention to how you're removing parts, everything goes back cleanly in the opposite order it came out. There's no magic or anything involved, as long as you don't lose your patience and start yanking on things. Take your time, go slowly, and if you're afraid your memory isn't good enough to keep track of things, use a cell phone and snap a picture for every screw you're pulling if you really need to.

The only REALLY BIG IMPORTANT DETAIL that I'd bother mentioning when doing this sort of thing, sit your butt down in a chair at the desk or table, and stay sitting there until you're finished. Keep getting up and moving around to a minimum, as that's both how you're going to lose screws and things and also how you'll build up a static charge and could possibly end up frying the board. Otherwise, this sort of thing isn't nearly as complicated as everyone seems to think.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get that people are afraid to try this sort of thing because it's small and kind of expensive, but I don't follow why it's such a problem. As long as you go slow and make sure you pay attention to how you're removing parts, everything goes back cleanly in the opposite order it came out. There's no magic or anything involved, as long as you don't lose your patience and start yanking on things. Take your time, go slowly, and if you're afraid your memory isn't good enough to keep track of things, use a cell phone and snap a picture for every screw you're pulling if you really need to.

The only REALLY BIG IMPORTANT DETAIL that I'd bother mentioning when doing this sort of thing, sit your butt down in a chair at the desk or table, and stay sitting there until you're finished. Keep getting up and moving around to a minimum, as that's both how you're going to lose screws and things and also how you'll build up a static charge and could possibly end up frying the board. Otherwise, this sort of thing isn't nearly as complicated as everyone seems to think.

Its not that its complicated per se, it's just that I worry what screwing up would mean. With the Wii, if I screw up, the Wii is still gonna be usable, even if I wouldn't be able to get it back in any shell. With the 3DS, if I screw up and can't get it in a shell, I'm kinda fucked.

ksanislo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its not that its complicated per se, it's just that I worry what screwing up would mean. With the Wii, if I screw up, the Wii is still gonna be usable, even if I wouldn't be able to get it back in any shell. With the 3DS, if I screw up and can't get it in a shell, I'm kinda fucked.
Between iFixit and a cell phone camera, that's really a non-issue though. There's no trick to putting things back in the case as long as you have a reference to make sure you don't have something upside down or whatever. I'd actually argue that due to the clips on the top cover, these things are harder to open up in the first place than they are to put back together.

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
This is how I obtained the Majora system in my sig. I'm 99% sure it's OEM, a completely legitimate and original Majora's Mask shell. I'm buying three more just cause.

I bought mine since it was LESS than the price of a replacement black/red shell and I wanted to remove the paint chips. Doing perfectly fine at the current moment.

You have to replace the camera holes/buttons/speaker filters/light blurrers/ect. It's only the five pieces of the shell.

Last edited by Halvorsen,

Graham182

Trophies
XP
Country
This is how I obtained the Majora system in my sig. I'm 99% sure it's OEM, a completely legitimate and original Majora's Mask shell. I'm buying three more just cause.

I bought mine since it was LESS than the price of a replacement black/red shell and I wanted to remove the paint chips. Doing perfectly fine at the current moment.

You have to replace the camera holes/buttons/speaker filters/light blurrers/ect. It's only the five pieces of the shell.

It's probably a very easy job if you're starting with a black xl as you'd only have to change the 2 main covers, or is it a different shade of grey?

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
It's probably a very easy job if you're starting with a black xl as you'd only have to change the 2 main covers, or is it a different shade of grey?
Nope, it's the same as the standard gray. The two top plates are easy to swap, but the rubber pads on the top screen hiding the screws? Not so much.

And the battery cover has no screws, so you have to import them from your current system.

Reactions: Graham182

cravas

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

aPCXIaP.jpg

There are passable docs on how to disassemble the n3DS XL over here on iFixIt. The docs on opening up the top screen are basically non existent however, but all you have to do is slip a guitar pick style prying tool in a side and pop the clips free, then work it around... You do have to pull the 4 screws under the rubber caps beside the top screen first, and from my experience there's no way to get them off without damage. I replaced the 3D slider on my system a week or two ago, and ended up destroying them with the tip of an x-acto knife while getting them out, so be aware and try to find some replacements beforehand if you're concerned about how it looks.

As said, ifixit has guides to do this (or at least, to get familiarized with the proccess):
https://pt.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+3DS+XL+2015+Teardown/36346

Step 23 is the only one you need to see/do to swap the back plate.

Blix42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've swapped my o3ds bottom piece because my hinge broke the plastic. Its a really rough transfer and you should probably study the components before you try to do anything like this

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So, i also ordered a replacement shell for my N3DS XL, i now have a MM edition.

However, since my original black backcover cracked around the screws, the screws got lost months ago. does someone know where i can get the screws and the small washers?

Dennis G

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So, i also ordered a replacement shell for my N3DS XL, i now have a MM edition.

However, since my original black backcover cracked around the screws, the screws got lost months ago. does someone know where i can get the screws and the small washers?
i don't use screws on mine, stays on perfect

Last edited by Dennis G,
Reactions: Halvorsen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...