Hardware New Wii Discovery! (Photo Channel)

[M]artin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Posted by a user over at the official Nintendo Forums that explains how his Wii pulled multiple pictures from his brother's Bluetooth enabled cell phone:

QUOTE said:
Yep, it's true. I just went in my photo channel just to look at the opening menu (I had no pictures on the SD card, or so I thought) when I clicked on the left button. It said that there were 12 pictures available. So, I was like "what's going on here" and viewed them. It turned out to be pictures from my brother's phone. I was thinking "Wow, cool" but my other brother immediately turned off his bluetooth on his phone. So, in conclusion, apparently the Wii just eats up photos from any device around it that has bluetooth. I don't know if this is known already or not, but in case it isn't, I'm telling you now. I should note that I had to have an SD card in to receive the pictures.

Source can be found here

Jax

Pip Pip Cheerioink!
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Cool!
ohmy.gif

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The guy is obviously mistaken. Bluetooth devices require a security/pass code to be entered on the sending and receiving devices. There's no way for the Wii to be able to access and download the photos from the mobile phone without an alert on the phone itself.

And I'm sure Nintendo would have advertised this feature.
unsure.gif

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The guy is obviously mistaken. Bluetooth devices require a security/pass code to be entered on the sending and receiving devices. There's no way for the Wii to be able to access and download the photos from the mobile phone without an alert on the phone itself.

And I'm sure Nintendo would have advertised this feature.
unsure.gif
Are you sure about that requirement? I thought you could have security completely disabled and open access on bluetooth devices?
I'm not sure about it but I thought that was how the first mobile phone virus spread. You could ensure you didn't get it by enabling some security for bluetooth.

Of course I may be completely wrong, I was fairly sure you didn't HAVE to have security for bluetooth though...

jhoff80

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah besides that, its a privacy issue. If the Wii took the pictures off the phone of everyone who came into your house, that would be a problem.

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
It's pretty dubious, for obvious security reasons.
Although it may be possible, in the future, thanks to homebrew, as the wii is supposed to use bluetooth for the controllers. (I have no motivation to find sources this late in the night, and I may be mistaken)

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Err..

The description of the photo channel on the Wii itself claims that it can receive pictures from mobile phones. It's true, it can, but it doesn't do it AUTOMATICALLY. If your phone can send pictures via bluetooth, the Wii can most certainly receive and display them.

PuyoDead

Hey! Hey! Oh!
Trophies
Website
www.flickr.com
XP
Country
United States
It is definitely not real. As for the photo channel saying it can get pictures from a cell phone, it's talking about mini/microSD cards. NOT bluetooth. Nowhere does the photo channel mention ANYTHING about bluetooth.

As for the security feature, you have to set a password on the first device, then confirm it on the second. The wii can't bypass both of those automatically. The privacy issue alone would cause a huge legal stink at nintendo.

D

Deleted User

I personally think photos on the Wii is just a waste of time anyway. Unless you could texture map them into video games, that would be o.k.

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I personally think photos on the Wii is just a waste of time anyway. Unless you could texture map them into video games, that would be o.k.
You obviously haven't used the Photo Channel then
smile.gif

I am extremely impressed with it, as is the rest of my family. It's VERY simple, lays out all your pictures/movies in an easy to navigate manner, and the automatic slideshow is just great!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: You could say the same for a couple or so threads that used to be popular, I guess.