New user here, looking for some general help

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by TheMightyDope, Dec 26, 2012.

Dec 26, 2012
    • Newcomer

TheMightyDope New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    hey guys so im interested in buying a psp and hacking it to play all my old favorite handheld games.

this is a fair investment so i would like to make sure i buy a psp that is fully hackable and can also recover from brick mode if anything goes wrong.

however, im not sure what motherboard and firmware a psp from amazon would have. can anyone provide me with a link to get one? i have also heard the GOW psp's were fully hackable but im still not quite sure.

i would also like a "slim" model

/e: so doing a little more reading ive discovered some of the "slims" are inferior in quality to the original fat ones. any information on this?

any help is appreciated!
    Last edited by TheMightyDope, Dec 26, 2012

OmegaVesko New Member

Message Count:
    Yugoslavia
    I imagine if you bought a PSP from Amazon it would be a 3000, no? Then yes, it would be what you'd call slim.

You don't need to pay attention to the motherboard model all that much, just make sure the OFW version is 6.60 or older, newer than that won't work. The only difference a motherboard could make is whether you can flash a permanent patch or just a temporary one. The difference is you need to run a single file on startup with the temporary one, otherwise it's identical.

shazwanmuhammad New Member

Message Count:
    Malaysia
    Slim is the new one like 3000 while fat is the old ones like 1000.
    • Former Staff

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Message Count:
    Colombia
    the original post stated that it should be unbrickable. you can not unbrick a 3000. if you buy a 2000 then you will need to pay very close attention to the mother board, as not all of them can be unbricked with a pandora battery.

every psp can be hacked, depending on the firmware that hack can either be applied permanently or semi-permanently.

-another world

OmegaVesko New Member

Message Count:
    Yugoslavia
    Ah, good point.
    • Newcomer

TheMightyDope New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    i would also like the hack to be applied permamnently.

are all 1000 models unbrickable and able to hack permanently?

shazwanmuhammad New Member

Message Count:
    Malaysia
    Yes.
    • Former Staff

Message Count:
    Colombia
    there really is no issue with the semi-permanent hack. when you cold boot the system you simply need to run a quick recovery file. it takes about 8 seconds to boot back into the CFW.

the original phat psp units have less ram (32 vs. 64), you will run into emulation issues with them. something to keep in mind.

-another world

OmegaVesko New Member

Message Count:
    Yugoslavia
    True, but it annoys some people (myself included). Is there an advantage of a temporary CFW over a permanent one that I'm not aware of?
    • Former Staff

Message Count:
    Colombia
    no. i'm just making the point not to rule out a 3000 running 6.60 as default just because you need to wait an extra 8 seconds to be back in the CFW.

-another world

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Message Count:
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Bricking is not common on the later PSP models anymore, especially since the CFWs tend to take extra steps to keep you out of flash0.