Gaming NEW upcoming Wii U game Swipe Knight (working title)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, there you go. That's the problem.

Swiping it on the Wii U GamePad felt like a breeze and always precise, so it never felt tedious or took me out of the enjoyment of the game itself.

They were shit because they were boring and mediocre compared to the rest of the game, not because of the controls.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hah, Tommy, that sounds just like an idea for a DS game I had many years ago (The swipe control scheme in a platform game).

I'd suggest (I mean, if I was making the game) moving with the analog stick (and d-pad) and use the trigger buttons for different variations on the swiping, and this would allow left handed players to use the right analog stick and abxy-buttons to move, and using the right trigger buttons.

What I mean is like: ZL is a dodge button, so holding that one down and swiping left/right makes a dodge roll (or dodging dash), swiping up is a jump dodge, down to activate a really temporary shield.
L is a powerful attack button, so holding L and swiping up slashes upwards, bla bla bla, but you can't move while using it. And then just swiping without holding a trigger button is for jumping and dashing and normal attacks.
Or maybe even use L as a spell button. hold down L and draw something to execute a powerful spell or attack. A circle = shield, an X for a "clear the screen of enemies attack".... something like that.

Again, this is just some ideas I had back in the day for the DS (with only one trigger button), but I thought I might share it :)

DirtyMangle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hah, Tommy, that sounds just like an idea for a DS game I had many years ago (The swipe control scheme in a platform game).

I'd suggest (I mean, if I was making the game) moving with the analog stick (and d-pad) and use the trigger buttons for different variations on the swiping, and this would allow left handed players to use the right analog stick and abxy-buttons to move, and using the right trigger buttons.

What I mean is like: ZL is a dodge button, so holding that one down and swiping left/right makes a dodge roll (or dodging dash), swiping up is a jump dodge, down to activate a really temporary shield.
L is a powerful attack button, so holding L and swiping up slashes upwards, bla bla bla, but you can't move while using it. And then just swiping without holding a trigger button is for jumping and dashing and normal attacks.
Or maybe even use L as a spell button. hold down L and draw something to execute a powerful spell or attack. A circle = shield, an X for a "clear the screen of enemies attack".... something like that.

Again, this is just some ideas I had back in the day for the DS (with only one trigger button), but I thought I might share it :)

Could it be because we are both Swedes we have the same ideas? Eller vad säger du Issac? ;)

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
They were shit because they were boring and mediocre compared to the rest of the game, not because of the controls.

Nope. The touch screen for this game on the Vita is probably awful and thus far it gave you a bad impression, which for me I'm playing it on the Wii U I've got absolutely no problems neither any bitching towards it. Not sure why you're moaning about it, but then again, playing on the wrong system is most likely the reason.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. The touch screen for this game on the Vita is probably awful and thus far it gave you a bad impression, which for me I'm playing it on the Wii U I've got absolutely no problems neither any bitching towards it. Not sure why you're moaning about it, but then again, playing on the wrong system is most likely the reason.

I played it on the Vita and it was not the touch screen. Don't try to put words in my mouth kid.

It was bad because the levels are completely boring compared to the awesome Rayman platforming ones. And they're mandatory and break the flow of the game. It feels like a cheap smartphone game crammed into an excellent platformer.

DirtyMangle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
horsemen.png

DirtyMangle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Also I just wanna say, thanks to everybody that have been giving me feedback.

Making games is very lonely and no one in my family has any interest in my work nor gaming, and its pretty much been like that for the last 5 years.

So this week when I been getting so much positive (and some negative) feedback from all you fellow gaming nerds is such a energy boost for me, and I will definitely keep you all updated on the game until its complete.

Thanks for making a dev feel welcome:)

DirtyMangle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
can you consider making it so you can use swipe or button controls to attack and jump? or maybe use the 2nd analog stick?

You can swipe to attack and jump, or the analog stick. And if people really want to use buttons for some actions then why not, its very easy to add :) and the more options the better, but I really hope that everyone doubting the swipe control change their mind tomorrow when I post the trailer :)

Reactions: Bladexdsl

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I played it on the Vita and it was not the touch screen. Don't try to put words in my mouth kid.

It was bad because the levels are completely boring compared to the awesome Rayman platforming ones. And they're mandatory and break the flow of the game. It feels like a cheap smartphone game crammed into an excellent platformer.

I'll take that "kid" as a compliment 'cause it's better than "sir".

Anyhow, I'll somewhat agree with you on this one because when I want the character to go certain ways I have to restart the sequence and sometimes that means doing the whole level again.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: Good morning everyone