Gaming New to the PSP emulation scene...

xtreme_power

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I am completely clueless about it. Just want to know if there is a FAQ about PSP emulation? How to set it up? How to install games, etc

I can't seem to find a topic about it

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Emulation: PC side there are one or two emulators but they are at the same sort of level that the DS was at when ensata was leaked.

PSP side: The usual method is to install a custom firmware (there are chips which amount to the same thing but few people use them). Naturally Sony have not allowed this so people look for exploits, the current one that I believe works on all PSPs is the so called pandora's battery which works on all and on all firmwares (the older ones require certain games or were patched in a firmware update).
There are two options, the theory goes that when the EEPROM in the battery has certain data on it it goes into service mode.
There are two methods:
hardware: either buy one (Datel have a few and there are people selling premade) or build one: you crack open the battery and desolder a pin rendering the EEPROM unavailable and by extension creating a battery.
software: you can overwrite the EEPROM if you can run custom code (some of the newer slimline ones can not do this if I recall correctly) which means you need a friend with a homebrew capable PSP.

Now you have a pandora's battery you normally to downgrade the firmware to a lower one which can run custom code with before going to a custom firmware which has all the features of the official with a few nice tweaks like running isos.

All code be it homebrew, isos, PS1 isos is run from memory card save the two or three apps that can do some streaming over wireless so prepare to open wallet/sell first born etc to fund a decent sized card (it is not as bad as it was but it is certainly not nice compared to other stuff), Sandisk are usually a good route here. There are some hard drive mods and adapters but I will leave those to you to decide upon (by the time all is said and done in my opinion you might as well just have got a big card as it will cost you as much).

VVoltz has a thread to get you started:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=69140

xtreme_power

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you very much
smile.gif

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's been awhile since I've played a PS1 game on PSP, do you still need to convert or did they come up with yet another ingenious trick? Not that converting bothers me at all, just wouldn't surprise me if they've left that in the dust by now is all.

Rciwws

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reason I'd want to have a psp is to play Crisis core when it comes out next week. I dont have any friends who I can borrow a psp from so I just need to find an emulator to play it smoothly. I'm even going to buy the game regardless of having a psp just because im so dedicated to the FFVII legacy lol. So is there anything that runs smoothly on pc out there?

Rciwws

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm I was assuming that for how long its been out and the amount of other mods for the psp that thered at least be a good emulator for it.

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
SpaceJump said:
Which CFW is needed in order to run emulators and homebrew? Still 1.50?

Doesn't matter anymore if you can get your hands on a Pandora Battery and a Magic Memory Stick. Just google Pandora Battery for more info.

I assume you mean which FW you need to downgrade because all CFW's now work with most emu's and homebrew. Check out M33 firmwares...they're made by the guy who made the best CFW around the CFW-OE's.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I noticed some emulators have "adhoc" versions, what are these? And some NeoGeo emus have "kernel" versions.

How do I know which version to use with PSP Phat?

HyoImowano

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SpaceJump said:
I noticed some emulators have "adhoc" versions, what are these? And some NeoGeo emus have "kernel" versions.

How do I know which version to use with PSP Phat?

Adhoc means there is local wireless multiplayer, it's ok, but very laggy in some emulators. "Kernal" versions probably refer to using the 1.50 kernal, which means you either need to be on Firmware 1.50 or have the 1.50 kernal add-on. If you have a Slim you'll have to use Time Machine to play anything that requires 1.50 kernal (which I don't really recommend).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Many such cases.