Hardware New to PS3 ownership

Gregora

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finally caved in and decided to splurge on a PS3 due to it having several series I like and got one for $80 at my local gamestop. It wound up being a CECHA01 model and I have yet to plug it into anything due to lack of time. It will be on a shelf with my two other consoles (wii and 360) and I don't know how worried I should be about any sort of issues dealing with cooling/thermal paste or even how easy/worth it to hack it (I don't have a PSN account either). Since I am a bachelor's level IT student, I know I should be able to go into the hardware and apply new thermal paste if I need to, but I generally don't want to mess with hardware if I don't have to. I don't even to what ends gamestop does to systems during the refurbishment process.

I feel that getting a CECHA01 model was definitely worth $80 considering that I've been looking into PS2 emulation.

Any advice/information you guys are willing to part with would be awesome. Thank you and have an awesome day.

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're in good luck because that's not emulation dude. The CHECHA00/01 contains the PS2 emotion engine onboard. It's playing PS2 games nativley. If you want to hack it it'll have to be on firmware 3.55 or lower. If it's above the exploitable FW version you'll need to be willing to open up the console and downgrade it using a Teensy 2.0++ or send it off to someone who already has one. If you do it yourself hit up both the CPU/RSX chips with some arctic 5 but if not the guy opening it will most likely do it since opening up that part of the ps3 almost requires you to replace it before putting it back together.
Enjoy man, that's a great model and the system has some nice games.

Last edited by Daggot,

Gregora

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I heard about the PS4, spongebobplace. I intend to get it likely this fall if not next year, but it has no backwards compatibility. It seems that the PS3 I have has full backwards compatibility with all of the previous Playstation systems, so that's good.

erfg12

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
newagesoldier.com
XP
Country
United States
I have a CECHA01. If the fans kick on when leaving the system idle for 10 minutes or less, then it's overheating. I had that issue with mine. I got new thermal paste and now it never kicks the fans on high when idling. You can also open it and blast some canned air through the vents and fans to get rid of any dust build up.

I also had the power supply break (console didn't want to turn on). Just bought a new one and put it in. They say some of the replacement power supplies are cooler because of being made of better parts, no idea if that is true. Then I upgraded the spinning HDD to an SSD. It may have slightly increased my loading speeds but I like the idea of it having a longer life span than a spinning HDD.

Last edited by erfg12,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended