Gaming New Super Mario Bros U tips?

RyanWW

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So a few times all my lives have been up and im forced to go back and do the WHOLE world again. It's mightily frustrating and un-fun. I remember the days when all your lives ran out you had to start again on the level, but having to start the world again is a real drag.

Is there a way to somehow pass a level and NEVER have to do it again (forcefully that is)?

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
You mean a stage? I remember there being checkpoints and if you're talking really about the worlds then stack up lives and you'll have enough for a lifetime (although it's limited to 99-only I think).

I played Mario 3D World and racked up more than a 1000 lives just to realise I didn't need them at all.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I think I've never had a game over in NSMBU (or NSLU) so I didn't even know that's what happens, lol. I imagine it takes you back to your last save point. So this means you need to make it until a castle and beat it to be able to save the game at that point. Once you've completed the game, it lets you save whenever you want from the menu ("Quick Save").

Just keep at it. I had lots of fun 100%-ing both NSMBU and NSLU. Watch YouTube videos of level playthroughs if there are any tricky parts you're not good at. Eventually, you'll get the hang of it. It does take some patience though, much like the original Super Mario Bros. games, which is why I like NSMBU/NSLU so much. :)

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

RyanWW

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I guess i could stack up lives by doing the easy levels over and over, but that is sort of boring. I was near the end of the ice world, and my lives ran out and they put me back at the start of the ice world. It's just annoying that i have to complete an entire world with about 5-10 lives, and there is always that 1 map i constantly die in, so i have to do them all over again. I liked it in other games when your lives ran out and all you lost was your checkpoint and you had to start that stage again.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I guess i could stack up lives by doing the easy levels over and over, but that is sort of boring. I was near the end of the ice world, and my lives ran out and they put me back at the start of the ice world. It's just annoying that i have to complete an entire world with about 5-10 lives, and there is always that 1 map i constantly die in, so i have to do them all over again. I liked it in other games when your lives ran out and all you lost was your checkpoint and you had to start that stage again.

You don't need to play a level to stack up lives, just doing once will grant you 50-99 doing the trick.

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

that what people hate about dying on modern games, the fact that there's no really a risk of dying anymore so yeah the new super mario game are guilty of giving you lives up the wazoo but if you still loose them the game punish you for that. and for a tip uhhmmm go to world 1 again for a free acorn shroom that might help you survive the ice world a little

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Personally I don't find platformers to be that difficult, the only one which may push my buttons is Shinobi 3DS but once I get around to how the game works it's just as easy as a Mario/Rayman game.

Mario games in general are a bit too easy for me, except when they're about having 100% precision and timing (the final two stages of Mario 3D World for example).

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Personally I don't find platformers to be that difficult, the only one which may push my buttons is Shinobi 3DS but once I get around to how the game works it's just as easy as a Mario/Rayman game.

Mario games in general are a bit too easy for me, except when they're about having 100% precision and timing (the final two stages of Mario 3D World for example).
Ah, Champion Road. After many hours I was able to tackle it WITHOUT upgrades. The trick is to use the ground pound mid-air in the section with the switching blocks to get Mario a bit more air time, then quickly jump forward twice to get to the next set of blocks. The rest is easy. :)

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Never had a Game Over in any NSMB game past the original DS version (I was 11, man). But personally, I'm glad that you restart the World if you die. Let's be honest, the Save feature made the whole concept of lives redundant, and it also removes the threat of having to restart if you lose. I grew up on the SNES Super Mario All-Stars and it was because of the lack of saving after every level completed that I'm such a capable Mario player today. I got through Super Mario Bros. 2 before I even started school.

Of course, if you don't want to re-do the whole world again you can stock up on lives through various exploits of the game engine. (Finding a level with easy 1-ups and playing through it several times, or doing the Koopa shell exploit).

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
There is one checkpoint through each stage and that's about enough, the game itself isn't really hard unless you're going to collect all the Gold Coins then that'll be time consuming and also get ready to lose lives for that too.

New Super Mario Bros. U (3 worlds left) is the last Wii U game I have which I've not finished, well, there's also ZombiU (pass) and Darksiders 2 (might give it a try someday) an' Batman Arkham City but whenever I go back to B:AC I look down on the map see where I need to go but always end up lose around Arkham due to being unable to find the entrance to it.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
And... I've completed New Super Mario Bros. U so that's another Wii U title done and now I'll head on to Darksiders 2 (aside from this I have ZombiU and Arkham City but can't be bothered to complete either of the two -- Arkham City leaves me wondering where I should go even though I can see on the map 'cept how to get there).

zlCfzSRSwyIZ3s2_MZ

Edit:

The save feature which is unlocked after you finish Peach's arc is perfect you save exactly what you have and don't need to worry about losing anything.. fuck, this is what should've been the save feature in the entire game. God damn you Nintendo, you made me catch the Gold Stars' again due to the save feature only saving temporarily than permanently.

zlCfzSPcrjsZWKyfcK

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
It may be confusing to have a different saving option later in the game, but I actually like that. It makes you work harder in the beginning and rewards you when you've proved yourself. :)

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
And... I've completed New Super Mario Bros. U so that's another Wii U title done and now I'll head on to Darksiders 2 (aside from this I have ZombiU and Arkham City but can't be bothered to complete either of the two -- Arkham City leaves me wondering where I should go even though I can see on the map 'cept how to get there).

zlCfzSRSwyIZ3s2_MZ

Edit:

The save feature which is unlocked after you finish Peach's arc is perfect you save exactly what you have and don't need to worry about losing anything.. fuck, this is what should've been the save feature in the entire game. God damn you Nintendo, you made me catch the Gold Stars' again due to the save feature only saving temporarily than permanently.

zlCfzSPcrjsZWKyfcK

Your comment about ZombieU made me laugh a bit because the first game I had with the WiiU Premium Pack was of course ZombieU but I have played it for about 10mins until I died down the tunnel at the beginning and I have never played it since, I don't really know why because its supposed to be a really good game, you will have to let me know if it gets any better if you went any further than me!. I've completed NSMBU & Mario 3D World (sold on now and was really disappointed in the whole game) played ZWWHD for about 20 mins turned off but was good and the only game I have really got stuck into is MK8, which I have hammered proper and quite sadly to report I'm actually really good at it! :)

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Your comment about ZombieU made me laugh a bit because the first game I had with the WiiU Premium Pack was of course ZombieU but I have played it for about 10mins until I died down the tunnel at the beginning and I have never played it since, I don't really know why because its supposed to be a really good game, you will have to let me know if it gets any better if you went any further than me!. I've completed NSMBU & Mario 3D World (sold on now and was really disappointed in the whole game) played ZWWHD for about 20 mins turned off but was good and the only game I have really got stuck into is MK8, which I have hammered proper and quite sadly to report I'm actually really good at it! :)

You're supposed to die at the beginning of ZombiU, it's basically an intro to the rest of the game. You can't advance until you die.

SG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a way to solve this!

Even though I'm good at the game, this really annoyed me - die a few times on a level and you don't get shiny stars... so I took the quickest route to finish the game, 18 levels or so. Didn't bother with star coins or anything - just focussed on getting to the end and then I had the option to save anywhere, THEN I enjoyed doing everything in the game. I've done 100% on NSMBU and am now doing the same on NSLU (just a few Superstar Road levels left).

The route to take is:

Acorn Plains:
1, 2 (secret exit), Blooper

Soda Jungle:
1, 2, OR 3, fortress, ghost house (secret exit), Para Beetle

Meringue Clouds:
1, 2 OR 3, tower, ghost house (secret exit), castle, airship

Peach's Castle:
1 (secret exit), 4, castle, castle

SlCKB0Y

Trophies
XP
Country
So a few times all my lives have been up and im forced to go back and do the WHOLE world again. It's mightily frustrating and un-fun. I remember the days when all your lives ran out you had to start again on the level, but having to start the world again is a real drag.

I remember the days without saves and check points....oh wait, actually i'm wrong - "saving" was hitting pause on the NES and turning the TV off for the night. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1