TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
It is quite possible that the game's multiplayer will be good enough to warrant getting two copies for you but then again maybe it won't.
Oops! I completely forgot about the multiplayer! I'll definitely be getting two copies, if it's a good-enough game (but still physical copies).

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I think it is because retailers like Walmart saying they won't sell your games if you decide to sell them less on digital (Certain PC titles and Vita). The threat didn't stop them from stocking PC titles to a certain degree but I don't think anyone wants their game not to be sold at some brick and mortar stores for now. I suppose if it is confirmed they are selling for the same prices I think it is because they can get away with it. Look at 360's Games on demand or Playstation's games. They are expensive compared to buying new/used sometimes but people don't care.

Presto99

You slammin, bro?
Trophies
Website
https
XP
Country
United States
This might have been said before, but:
I'm willing to pay full price for a digital download just for convenience. I'm pretty lazy and don't like switching carts out usually. That's originally why I got a DS flashcard...before I broke down and pirated. Still, for some games such as Animal Crossing, I don't want to have to switch it out all the time, or never be able to play a different game cause I'll play that too much. I don't usually sell my games anyways, so really the only thing keeping me from digitally buying all my future games is an account system such as PSN, so I could safely redownload the game even if my 3DS broke or something.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
This might have been said before, but:
I'm willing to pay full price for a digital download just for convenience. I'm pretty lazy and don't like switching carts out usually. That's originally why I got a DS flashcard...before I broke down and pirated. Still, for some games such as Animal Crossing, I don't want to have to switch it out all the time, or never be able to play a different game cause I'll play that too much. I don't usually sell my games anyways, so really the only thing keeping me from digitally buying all my future games is an account system such as PSN, so I could safely redownload the game even if my 3DS broke or something.
True, but one man's trash is another's treasure, and vice versa. In my opinion, it's more of a convenience to be able to have full control over my games and be able to transfer them between systems and sell them or give them away or let friends borrow them. To me, the digital downloads bit sacrifices too much freedom for such a small convenience.

omega59

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i already pre-ordered it for that $39.99 :) if i have to pay that much for a game it better come with a cartridge, case, book LOL!
digital copy should be atleast $10 less imo. Now let's hope this game is longer than the first one :)

Reactions: 1 person

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think there should be some incentive to purchasing digital versions of games. If not, this digital downloads thing will have a hard time lifting off the ground I mean Nintendo doesn't have to spend money on storage media or packaging for the game, they should pass the savings onto the customers.

I think it should cost $30 :glare:

EDIT: $35 tops :ninja:

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think there should be some incentive to purchasing digital versions of games. If not, this digital downloads thing will have a hard time lifting off the ground
Like some of the Brazilian members here have said, downloading off the eShop is a lot cheaper than importing.
You don't need the cart, possibly with the unified account system if you lose your 3ds you can get your game back and various other benefits come from buying digital. Yes, it would be nice if it was cheaper but if it isn't it isn't.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think there should be some incentive to purchasing digital versions of games. If not, this digital downloads thing will have a hard time lifting off the ground
Like some of the Brazilian members here have said, downloading off the eShop is a lot cheaper than importing.
You don't need the cart, possibly with the unified account system if you lose your 3ds you can get your game back and various other benefits come from buying digital. Yes, it would be nice if it was cheaper but if it isn't it isn't.
Nintendo can switch your eShop account around if you have it linked to Club Nintendo.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Even more problematic than the higher price,
importing takes long, between one or two months if you got lucky.
If Alfandega wants, it can hold your product in their stock for months,
or have you to pay some taxes to liberate your product.

With digital distribution we can get games fast and for the right prices

Tell me about it, I'm sick of paying for more than double the price for a game... Finally we're getting the games at a fair price! =D

I remember that in the first weeks of e-shop, it showed a price of R$67 for 3DS games,
if they maintain that price it would be a dream to every 3DS owner in Brazil.
Hope they put some old 3DS games avaiable on e-shop.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
How much space is that gonna take?!
That's my question. If these games take on average more than 1gb (if I remember correctly, 3DS gamecarts can hold 3gb?), that basically puts the last nail in the coffin for me buying digital. With a 32 gb limit for SDHC cards, there's just no point for me to move in that direction.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
The max price for a download version of a physical game should be no more than the RRP of that game minus the cost of all of the physical packaging. There is no reason at all that a download should include the same costs as a cart. there is no cartridge to manufacture, no nicely printed paper manual or cover, no box etc.
If I find any game that I like is available for a similar price for both the download and the physical cart, I'll be choosing the cart every time.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
How much space is that gonna take?!
That's my question. If these games take on average more than 1gb (if I remember correctly, 3DS gamecarts can hold 3gb?), that basically puts the last nail in the coffin for me buying digital. With a 32 gb limit for SDHC cards, there's just no point for me to move in that direction.

Are you likely to have a collection of over, say 20 games? Leaving you 12GB left for music, photos and videos? I wish I had that much money to spend on games! I also with there were 20 games out for the system that I'm even interested in!

And, of course, you could always have 2 SD cars. I know it kind of defeats the object of having an 'all in one' thingy, but having to carry 1 additional SD care around is a lot easier than carrying 40 gamecarts.

Has anybody tried formatting a 64Gb card with the FAT32 filesystem and using it in a 3DS yet?

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Are you likely to have a collection of over, say 20 games? Leaving you 12GB left for music, photos and videos? I wish I had that much money to spend on games! I also with there were 20 games out for the system that I'm even interested in!

And, of course, you could always have 2 SD cars. I know it kind of defeats the object of having an 'all in one' thingy, but having to carry 1 additional SD care around is a lot easier than carrying 40 gamecarts.

Has anybody tried formatting a 64Gb card with the FAT32 filesystem and using it in a 3DS yet?
I don't have that much money to spend on games, at the moment. But that's completely beside the point. The DS was around for about 6 years before being replaced by the 3DS, and even they're still making DS games, which means the DS has a lifespan of close to 8 years and counting. Surely you wouldn't spend $170+ on a game console to only play 20 games over the course of its lifespan? I know I wouldn't. But maybe that's just me. Either way, I listed in previous posts that that's only one of a few different reasons I wouldn't go digital. the lack of storage is just the icing on the cake for me.

And I'm not sure about the 64gb thing... I know this isn't related, but I heard people have tested it with SDHC-only smartphones, and they say it worked.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I don't have that much money to spend on games, at the moment. But that's completely beside the point. The DS was around for about 6 years before being replaced by the 3DS, and even they're still making DS games, which means the DS has a lifespan of close to 8 years and counting. Surely you wouldn't spend $170+ on a game console to only play 20 games over the course of its lifespan? I know I wouldn't. But maybe that's just me. Either way, I listed in previous posts that that's only one of a few different reasons I wouldn't go digital. the lack of storage is just the icing on the cake for me.

I don't think there's been any console I've ever owned that's had 20 games worth playing. I've never had more than 20 games for any system, bar emulation and flashcards (and even then there've only been around 5 or 6 that I've actually played more than a couple of times)

And I'm not sure about the 64gb thing... I know this isn't related, but I heard people have tested it with SDHC-only smartphones, and they say it worked.

Yea I know it works with some devices, would be interesting to find out if it works on the 3DS. I don't have any other device that can make use of one, so I'm not really wishing to test it out myself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I remember when the Atari 2600 was new and exciting lol
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker