Gaming New Super Mario Bros. 2 - What do YOU want to see?

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I still just want a 2D sprite option :glare:
Lol, perhaps that could be an unlockable option once you beat the game. :P

That's a good idea, and would please a lot of old-school gamers
But i think Nintendo is too lazy to do it.
This game looks like a lazy project just to get easy money.
We don't know much about the game, but what we know doesn't show almost any improvement compared to DS version
Dude, all we have so far are screenshots. We don't know anything about the game or how it plays. Is it rehashed? Yeah, maybe. But I don't think we know enough to write it off as "lazy" or "unimproved" yet.

That's why I said we know little about the game
We can't judge with a 100% veredict, but for the screenshots we've seen, we can say somethings.
I may be wrong, and I really hope I am, but for what I've seen, this doesn't look much better than DS version

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Has anybody mentioned being able to pick up blocks and throw them in the air yet? That was another thing I liked about Super Mario World

Reactions: 3 people

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
God dammit. They should just make it a New Super Mario World. I thought SMB3 was over hyped, and only Land 2 was as fun as World (thats probably because Mario looked like Mario from World though) and I for one am sick of these 2.5D platformers. If Nintendo wants to make a platformer, USE SPRITES. I mean, the console still can barely do 3D models right (as in actually using AA and not just making the pixels smaller) Otherwise it just looks stupid. If it looks even half as crappy as DS I'm steering clear of it.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want the styles of the worlds, enemies etc of Mario Land 1 & 2. Same kind of gameplay too that way its not just another NSMB game.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I want a true "celebratory" Mario game. NSMB and SM3DL were on the right track, but didn't take it far enough. a game sort of like Sonic Generations, except with Mario, would be really cool. All levels, mechanics, power-ups, etc all mixed and matched from all the different Mario games.

Reactions: 1 person

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
God dammit. They should just make it a New Super Mario World. I thought SMB3 was over hyped, and only Land 2 was as fun as World (thats probably because Mario looked like Mario from World though) and I for one am sick of these 2.5D platformers. If Nintendo wants to make a platformer, USE SPRITES. I mean, the console still can barely do 3D models right (as in actually using AA and not just making the pixels smaller) Otherwise it just looks stupid. If it looks even half as crappy as DS I'm steering clear of it.

I can't for the life of me see any advantage to using sprites. They'd look worse. Physics for things like kick jumps would be difficult to achieve. Yea, I can't see one good reason to use sprites.

I, for one, am glad that 2.5D platformers came along and managed to make platform games look pretty without having to be actual 3D games.

Reactions: 2 people

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm, come to think of it, we haven't had an up to standard portable Super Mario game since the ol' gameboy days.
GBA - none
DS - NSMB
3DS - M3DL

Both of which were relatively short games.

I'm not expecting much from this actually.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, come to think of it, we haven't had an up to standard portable Super Mario game since the ol' gameboy days.
GBA - none
DS - NSMB
3DS - M3DL

Both of which were relatively short games.

I'm not expecting much from this actually.
I actually thought Mario vs. Donkey Kong on the GBA was an amazing game (a great sequel to Donkey Kong on the original Gameboy, in my opinion). But since that's not a "traditional" Mario platformer, I guess that doesn't really count. Lol

Reactions: 1 person

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I can't for the life of me see any advantage to using sprites. They'd look worse. Physics for things like kick jumps would be difficult to achieve. Yea, I can't see one good reason to use sprites.

I, for one, am glad that 2.5D platformers came along and managed to make platform games look pretty without having to be actual 3D games.
Most of the complex moves that Mario does are in the 3D games. Im not saying add Sprites to the 3D games. I'm saying that they look stupid with low poly 3D models when they could just use extremely detailed sprites. And have you even played an old Mario to compare with NSMB? NSMB actually has WORSE physics compared to Mario World or even Advance. I don't see any advantage to using shitty looking 3D models when you could just put a little effort into the game and have a good Mario game using 2D sprites.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A different looking game. I don't like the graphics at all, I didn't like them in the DS title or the Wii Title. They're too boring and bland for me. I like that it's colorful, but change shit.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand

Most of the complex moves that Mario does are in the 3D games.

The kick jump (the specific example I gave...) is in the new 2D games...

Im not saying add Sprites to the 3D games. I'm saying that they look stupid with low poly 3D models when they could just use extremely detailed sprites. And have you even played an old Mario to compare with NSMB? NSMB actually has WORSE physics compared to Mario World or even Advance.

What do you mean Mario World or even Mario advance? They're the same game!!

Yes I've played old Mario(wasn't much choice, new Mario didn't even exist back in those days, right??). Super Mario World is a fantastic game. The best of the lot. But it's certainly not due to the physics; there's no way they are better than in the NSMB series.

I don't see any advantage to using shitty looking 3D models when you could just put a little effort into the game and have a good Mario game using 2D sprites.

If you believe the the 3D models look shitty then that's your bag. I think they look fine. At the end of the day if you're the type of person who's going to complain so much about a really, really minute detail of a game, you're the type of person that will never be happy with a new Mario game. There'll always be something wrong with it.

I personally loved both the NSMB titles. They didn't have the depth of SMW, this is true. But they still played great, and looked about a hundred times better.

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Most of the complex moves that Mario does are in the 3D games.

The kick jump (the specific example I gave...) is in the new 2D games...

Im not saying add Sprites to the 3D games. I'm saying that they look stupid with low poly 3D models when they could just use extremely detailed sprites. And have you even played an old Mario to compare with NSMB? NSMB actually has WORSE physics compared to Mario World or even Advance.

What do you mean Mario World or even Mario advance? They're the same game!!

Yes I've played old Mario(wasn't much choice, new Mario didn't even exist back in those days, right??). Super Mario World is a fantastic game. The best of the lot. But it's certainly not due to the physics; there's no way they are better than in the NSMB series.

I don't see any advantage to using shitty looking 3D models when you could just put a little effort into the game and have a good Mario game using 2D sprites.

If you believe the the 3D models look shitty then that's your bag. I think they look fine. At the end of the day if you're the type of person who's going to complain so much about a really, really minute detail of a game, you're the type of person that will never be happy with a new Mario game. There'll always be something wrong with it.

I personally loved both the NSMB titles. They didn't have the depth of SMW, this is true. But they still played great, and looked about a hundred times better.

I'm not saying I wasn't happy with any of them! Hell, the first DS game I owned was NSMB. I'm saying that if they are going to keep making these 2.5D platformers they need to either make the models a lot less ugly or they need to fuck the models entirely and go back to sprites or atleast add the option of them. And look at the GBA title list again. Mario Advanced was the only original Mario on the GBA. There was a port of world under the Mario Advance Titles, but it was far from World. And Worlds mechanics and physics beat NSMB, all NSMB did was make the physics smoother other then that they are as bad as SMB3, I dare you to try something as simple as kicking a shell in mid air, WITHOUT holding it, in NSMB. If you like the 3D models that's you, but don't come in telling me that there's no point in having sprites when 3D models have just as little business there, and news flash for you. That minute detail, you know GRAPHICS? Make up roughly 40% of most consumers choice of your going to buy that game based on the games box description alone.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Zantigo, none of the Super Mario Advance titles were originals, only ports. In order, they were ports of SMB2, SMW, Yoshi's Island, and SMB3. And each of them featured a port of the original Mario Bros. Arcade game. None of those games were original.

Reactions: 2 people

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zantigo, none of the Super Mario Advance titles were originals, only ports. In order, they were ports of SMB2, SMW, Yoshi's Island, and SMB3. And each of them featured a port of the original Mario Bros. Arcade game. None of those games were original.

OH! I forgot that the first one was SMB2 XD my bad. But my point still stands.

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would want to see more 3D effects.

Like when you get the mushroom to be more big then the 3D effect can make it look like Mario is walking on the part of the lens in the middle (Between the top and bottom screen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: