Hacking New SSB 3ds XL - Best Flash Card?

forkyfork

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys. I used to be heavily in the DS Lite flash scene, but I've since fallen out. I just got a SSB 3DSXL and I was interested in getting a flashcard to work on it but I am a little confused. I am reading mixed reports. Some say that you need version 4 and lower. Other sites seem to say it'll work fine.

The version I'm running is 8.1.0-19U. Am I screwed or is there a card for me?

DeadPixelMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This has been asked a kabillion times you could have read any of the other thousand posts to get your answer. No your screwed.

Rocc0

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
You are screwed pretty much. You can still get R4i Gold or DSTwo to play DS games on your 3DS and if smealum ever releases ssspwn it could allow for you to run homebrew on that system version (like SNES/NES emulator for example), but it's unlikely that you will ever be able to run commercial .3ds roms on that console and there is no way downgrade the system firmware. When sites say that it "works" on the latest system firmware, they are most likely referring to emunand (firmware spoofing), so you still need to have the proper system version in order it to work (which is system version 4.1 - 4.5).

There are bunch of well documented tutorials, stickied threads and reviews that all state this on this very website. Just because some of these have not been updated in a while, doesn't mean that the information is outdated. :)
http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-play-3ds-games-using-gateway-3ds-the-complete-guide.360176/
http://gbatemp.net/threads/only-the...s-plays-3ds-roms-3ds-still-not-hacked.297281/
http://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-3ds-review.353883/
http://gbatemp.net/threads/comparison-of-3ds-flash-carts-features-on-hiatus-9-3.358243/

forkyfork

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thank you guys. So it looks like I'm going to have to find a DS with 4.5 firmware or below. And from what I'm reading there is no way to buy a new 3DS with that firmware out of the box, correct? I'll have to buy a used one.

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I'm confused.
Are you asking for 3DS rom loading or NDS rom loading?
You posted in the NDS section and if you're asking for NDS games then yes, you can load NDS games with R4iDS.cn R4i Gold 3DS card or DSTWO(that one is better)
Don't get any other flashcard cause they suck.

If you're asking for 3DS rom loading then no, only systems from 4.1-4.5 run them and you need a flashcard like Gateway.

Rocc0

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Thank you guys. So it looks like I'm going to have to find a DS with 4.5 firmware or below. And from what I'm reading there is no way to buy a new 3DS with that firmware out of the box, correct? I'll have to buy a used one.

You might have easier time to just look for an used 3DS, but it's definitely possible that you might find one brand new: how hard they are to find really depends where you live and where you look. For example, if you happen to know some local store that has had 3DS's on the shelves for a long time and the boxes say "Copyright 2012" there is a good change (but not a guarantee) that it might have the right firmware. There is more in depth instructions on how to check the serial numbers etc on the box on GBAtemp wiki page:
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_Ha...the_System_version_before_buying_a_new_3DS.3F

Also, if you manage to find a 3DS with firmware lower than 4.1, you can update the system with a retail game cartridge. There is a link on that wiki page to a site that lets you see what firmware updates certain games provide. For example, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon USA version has the update for 4.5.0U.

forkyfork

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You might have easier time to just look for an used 3DS, but it's definitely possible that you might find one brand new: how hard they are to find really depends where you live and where you look. For example, if you happen to know some local store that has had 3DS's on the shelves for a long time and the boxes say "Copyright 2012" there is a good change (but not a guarantee) that it might have the right firmware. There is more in depth instructions on how to check the serial numbers etc on the box on GBAtemp wiki page:
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_Ha...the_System_version_before_buying_a_new_3DS.3F

Also, if you manage to find a 3DS with firmware lower than 4.1, you can update the system with a retail game cartridge. There is a link on that wiki page to a site that lets you see what firmware updates certain games provide. For example, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon USA version has the update for 4.5.0U.

Thanks! So it's unlikely my SSB 3ds came with that firmware out of the box right? I updated it unfortunately but I wonder what it started with.

BestR4i3DS.com

Trophies
Website
www.New3DSCard.com
XP
Country
United States
the 3DS already in your hands now, and it is V8.1.0.-19 firmware,
so, the truth is you can't play 3DS roms for free,
you can only play NDS & GBA roms for free by the best flashcarts Supercard DSTwo

Dinomite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I am reading mixed reports. Some say that you need version 4 and lower. Other sites seem to say it'll work fine.
Can you please link a site that says it'll work fine on anything higher than 4.5? I'm just curious as to where you got that idea from? Topics like these need to be deleted, not just locked and people need to start reading the sticky threads before posting.

Rocc0

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Thanks! So it's unlikely my SSB 3ds came with that firmware out of the box right? I updated it unfortunately but I wonder what it started with.

Very unlikely because it's so recent edition. It probably came with 7.2 or 8.0 if I had to guess.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Took along time to fit it in?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Snow days $25 on steam may grab it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Measuring sizes with AncientBoi, I see.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: How much did a 1965 color TV cost? For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in...