Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

One of the most exciting features promised for the PlayStation 4 back when it was first announced was Share Play, the ability to watch, join and share video games over the PSN network.​
Want to try out a game one of your friends owns before you buy it? Want to join a co-op or versus session with a friend, but you don't own the game? Want to spectate on a friend's gaming session? Want to help out a friend who's in a pickle and needs help? Not a problem - with Share Play you'll be able to do all of that soon.​
Sony describes this functionality as a "virtual couch" - it aims at re-creating the experience of playing a video game with a friend online as if you were together. Are you excited for this kind of player-to-player interaction? Post your comments below!​
Share Play will become available after the PlayStation 4 Firmware Update 2.0, follow the source link for details.​
Update: Firmware 2.0 rolls out tomorrow (28.10.14), featuring Share Play, YouTube direct upload support, USB music player, themes, Home screen sorting and organization and other enhancements.​
:arrow: Source #2

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The biggest thing that excites me about this is the fact that THIS is the service that will solve the problems of local co-op. I understand devs still want to capture the whole, "Classic couch gaming" thing, but seriously, that just isn't something that can happen for everyone anymore. Games like SportsFriends, Starwhal, and countless other indie games, are games I'm dying to play with people, but cant because all my friends live far away.

I cannot wait to test this out with people.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The biggest thing that excites me about this is the fact that THIS is the service that will solve the problems of local co-op. I understand devs still want to capture the whole, "Classic couch gaming" thing, but seriously, that just isn't something that can happen for everyone anymore. Games like SportsFriends, Starwhal, and countless other indie games, are games I'm dying to play with people, but cant because all my friends live far away.

I cannot wait to test this out with people.
I do like the way you're thinking and I hope this leads to more games supporting the "couch multiplayer" model we all know and love. I gotta say, I love co-op games. The ability to test out titles without actually owning them via streaming is also interesting - I hope my Internet connection will be able to handle that. :P

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This feature looks nice.
Hopefully, we will get more information on resume and suspend next. C'mon, Sony, I need that feature when Persona 5 and Disgaea 5 hits!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That's pretty interesting. Probably discourage buys tho. I wonder if it supports all games.
I don't think it will, I think it could work as a great marketing tool. Remember, you can only stream whenever the other player is playing that particular game, you can't stream on demand. It's an option for players to try out a game before buying it, in many cases it can actually encourage sales. Say, a friend invites you to a lobby and you really like the game you're playing - you won't wait for your friend to invite you every single time, you'll just buy the game for yourself.

Reactions: Xabring

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Awesome now it'll be possible to play Sunset Overdrive without owning a copy of it oh wait.. That's on Xbox. :(

Splendid feature nevertheless!

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it will, I think it could work as a great marketing tool. Remember, you can only stream whenever the other player is playing that particular game, you can't stream on demand. It's an option for players to try out a game before buying it, in many cases it can actually encourage sales. Say, a friend invites you to a lobby and you really like the game you're playing - you won't wait for your friend to invite you every single time, you'll just buy the game for yourself.
Not if that person only reason to play a game is to play with his friends, then I can see that happening, but I'm guessing those people are a minority.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Not if that person only reason to play a game is to play with his friends, then I can see that happening, but I'm guessing those people are a minority.
It definitely has pro's and con's. Like you say, there are games people buy exclusively to play them with their friends, but most offer single player experiences as well, plus not everyone will be in the mood to wait until their friend feels like virtually borrowing you the game. That, and not every game even features co-op, so not all users will be totally cool with someone taking control of their system for an afternoon. It's a new way of interacting with each other on PSN, who knows what'll happen in the long run. I see it as an exciting way to use streaming, personally.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
From the thread essentially about the same thing...
Meh, once the hour is up just relaunch Share Play. It's at most a 30 second pause from gameplay (guestimating however long it might take the other person to connect). I'm a little more peeved that it only supports 2 people at a time (the host and the person watching/playing). I suppose they decided to limit it to two so it'll keep people with shit upload speeds happy.
But yeah, neat feature and such. Now if only people I knew actually had PS4s...

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far all, of these "new" feature are just taken from Steam mostly. They still have miles to make before they come anywhere close.

Although it would seem a step in the right direction, unfortunately this is Sony we are talking about. They'll wait until they have a high uptake and everyone has paid for their support scription, them they'll begin removing features (which never amounted to anywhere near the claims) and Sue a few people who do anything about it.

Sony: The ultimate OCD in control

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So far all, of these "new" feature are just taken from Steam mostly. They still have miles to make before they come anywhere close.

Although it would seem a step in the right direction, unfortunately this is Sony we are talking about. They'll wait until they have a high uptake and everyone has paid for their support scription, them they'll begin removing features (which never amounted to anywhere near the claims) and Sue a few people who do anything about it.

Pretty sure Steam does not allow for anything like this.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Pretty sure Steam does not allow for anything like this.

Locally it does, but yeah he's missing the point...
It's a great feature anyway (as is playing your own music in the background via usb), though like has been said it might make a few wifi connections blow up in a hissy fit, and I'm still not that sure how popular it'll be - I'm more interested in plugging in a usb for my own music on Driveclub :D - most of the PS4 owners on here should make use of it, but the average CoD queen won't give a toss..... and am I the only one who doesn't give an arse about watching other people play games?? The missus, lads, mates in my house sure, but not fukkin some online dweebs videos, not even a friends videos, and so I'm not sure if this virtual couch watching thingie will interest me either.....

Also to whoever said the DS4 > XBO pad, are you on smack or summat laddie?! :lol: It's a lot closer than last gen between the 2 pads, but..... just no. :P

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

Steam definitely doesn't let you stream your game to other players online, it doesn't allow others to control that session, and it definitely doesn't allow them to engage in multiplayer without owning the game. No idea what the fuck you're talking about :rolleyes:

Then again, it seems you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about anyways by the rest of your post, so I guess it's not all that surprising.

Reactions: Joe88

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    fluff663 @ fluff663: hello everyone