ROM Hack New powersaves 3ds thread

MGS1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know if this means that Powersaves won't brick your cartridge anymore?
Any time that you use the device, you do take a chance as we have already seen. With that being said, since the original offending save edit code was taken down, there has not been a ton of brick reports. The last couple of weeks have been quiet on that front.

Wanderer0891

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well what I was asking if there's a way that you could get unreleased contact with an R4i Gold 3DS too. Or no?

I was asking because Datel patched Powersaves so you can't use it for getting past the AES encryption and hoped they also made sure to not have anymore cartridge bricks. You need a hacked 3DS to get past the AES encryption.

Any time that you use the device, you do take a chance as we have already seen. With that being said, since the original offending save edit code was taken down, there has not been a ton of brick reports. The last couple of weeks have been quiet on that front.

True but my cart bricked after the Garchomp code was taken down and fixed. I was referring to another type of bug.

MGS1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True but my cart bricked after the Garchomp code was taken down and fixed. I was referring to another type of bug.
And what other type of bug were you referring to?

It's always a possibility with anytime you use the device. Now we know what causes it. Unfortunately, there is currently no known way to salvage it though.

Wanderer0891

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And what other type of bug were you referring to?

It's always a possibility with anytime you use the device. Now we know what causes it. Unfortunately, there is currently known way to salvage it though.

Basically Datel's sloppy coding.
Here from Pokémon Project's IRC Chat which explains it much better than I can:
[16:26] <profi200> I have to stop for now with the CARD2 save stuff until i know a way to recover CARD2 bricks. I don't want 40€ electronic scrap. It doesn't overwrite the ROM, like SciresM claims, it overwrites some other unknown stuff. He will not be able to fix his cartridge with just a ROM dump. I have no idea what this data is, but it is in a write-only region it seems.
[16:30] <profi200> If it would overwrite the ROM, his cartridge would not even show up on the home menu because of a wrong RSA signature.
[16:49] <+Kaphonics> I don't think he claimed it overwrote the ROM
[16:50] <+Kaphonics> Just that writing one byte too many is what caused it to become unplayable
[16:51] <+Kaphonics> He tried writing back a double save (2MB) with all FF's in hope that it would undo it, but it didn't work
[16:52] <+Kaphonics> Might be something unrelated to the region but instead somewhere else that datel touches
[17:17] <profi200> "[22:51] <+Kaphonics> He tried writing back a double save (2MB) with all FF's in hope that it would undo it, but it didn't work" It looks like there are only 0xFF, but writing there writes to some unknown and read-protected data. With that he destroyed even more. I don't know what this is. A hidden config or maybe something other. Overwriting these data causes a unknown problem with the cartridge and the 3DS displays a error.
[17:20] <Kaphonics> Yeah, he had given up on the cart at that point so it wouldn't hurt to confirm that writing back FF's doesn't fix it
[17:21] <Kaphonics> Hopefully datel figures it out as they've done it to other people
[17:22] <Kaphonics> Shame how their program is poorly coded to be capable of such a thing
[17:50] <Prof9> what's that have to do with Datel's tool
[17:53] <Kaphonics> Datel's tool doesn't check its input beyond their checksum
[17:54] <Kaphonics> The garchomp code caused bricks for some users
[17:54] <Kaphonics> So they've sent back bad data
[17:55] <Kaphonics> It can be the program's fault too if it somehow saves too much data
[17:55] <Kaphonics> The program is pretty bad
[17:55] <Kaphonics> Memleaks etc

MGS1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if I should get a micro SD Card with a Gateway?
If you are thinking about getting a Gateway just because you want to be able to edit Pokemon saves, I wouldn't do it. The reason why I saw this is because there is no guarantee that a functional way to sign the saves will be released for that anytime soon. Somebody asked Bond this on his twitter feed. He stated that he had no idea when that was going to happen.

That was what I was talking about, bad coding on Datel's part. It's always going to be a risk anytime that you use the device. It does seem to be less of a factor now than it was in the beginning. We now know why it was happening now though.

Wanderer0891

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are thinking about getting a Gateway just because you want to be able to edit Pokemon saves, I wouldn't do it. The reason why I saw this is because there is no guarantee that a functional way to sign the saves will be released for that anytime soon. Somebody asked Bond this on his twitter feed. He stated that he had no idea when that was going to happen.

That was what I was talking about, bad coding on Datel's part. It's always going to be a risk anytime that you use the device. It does seem to be less of a factor now than it was in the beginning. We now know why it was happening now though.

Yep. I just hope they fixed there coding somewhat so that anymore cartridge bricks are freak accidents instead of bad coding. I do hope to get my Y save back someday. Its not all bad still have my X cart and plan to buy a new usb cable to minimize anymore risks. What happened was that it was writing to my Y cart after I applied some codes and web operation failed came up and now the cart is completely bricked and won't respond at all. I tried using a q-tip and 91% isopropyl alcohol to clean the cart but no dice.

MGS1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep. I just hope they fixed there coding somewhat so that anymore cartridge bricks are freak accidents instead of bad coding. I do hope to get my Y save back someday. Its not all bad still have my X cart and plan to buy a new usb cable to minimize anymore risks. What happened was that it was writing to my Y cart after I applied some codes and web operation failed came up and now the cart is completely bricked and won't respond at all. I tried using a q-tip and 91% isopropyl alcohol to clean the cart but no dice.
That sucks. Unfortunately, it sounds like once the cart hits that stage, it's pretty much toast. However, I would still hold onto my save backups. Who knows what hackers like smea, bond, and slashmolder comes up with in the future?

MGS1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which other hacking device should I get? The R4i Gold 3DS or the Gateway 3DS?
Neither one of them are "hacking devices." They are only going to allow you to play ROMs at this point.

If you are serious about buying a flash cart, I would suggest that you read up on the before you buy. Look at the stickied thread inside at the top of this forum.

Reactions: thagrouch

MGS1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well they are cartridges.
I'm just telling you that you need to read up on them since it doesn't seem that you really know much about them. If you jump in blindly, you are going to be the next guy who shows up on this or some other forum complaining about how they bought one of these devices only to find out that they lack the required hardware to even run the cart.

The bottom line is though that just owning one of these devices is not going to allow you to hack things into Pokemon like you could using Pokegen. The only thing that you can do with Pokemon other than play the ROM version is to use it swap saves only among ROMs of the same version of Pokemon. It will not allow you to swap saves between carts. It will not allow you to place a Powersaves backup from somebody else's cart to your's or your ROM. It will not allow you to place one of our community Pokemon saves onto you cart.

MGS1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant. If there was ever a save on the Gateway 3DS for unobtainbles. Then that would be interesting
There's already one that has Diancie, AZ Floette, and the lati@sites that were obtained using the old Powersaves codes before they were removed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.