New Pokemon announcement coming on Jan 8th

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I will be extremely disappointed if its a Ruby/Sapphire remake. Stop the remakes with the Advance generation. I get and completely support Red/Blue/Green and Gold/Silver being remade because the GB/GBC pokemon games weren't as pretty as the GBA and DS pokemon games. The remakes however should stop there, lets be honest, Ruby and Sapphire look on par with Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. There's a little less polish, but all in all those 2 generations were quite similar graphic wise. So to me, if you were to remake Ruby and Sapphire, you might as well remake Diamond and Pearl and thats just ridiculous. Plus, Red and Blue/Green were remade for the GBA, if Ruby and Sapphire do get remakes, does that mean we should get ANOTHER remake of Red and Blue/Green?! A line needs to be drawn on remakes, and I draw the line at the GBA generation.

However, if Nintendo wanted to one day add GBA games to the VC to everybody, not just ambassadors, then I'd be all for Ruby/Sapphire getting released on the 3DS VC, they could probably even add some sort of feature to migrate pokemon from the VC games to future new Pokemon releases for the 3DS.

Having said all of that, I really hope its a new adventure. 6th generation? Not necessarily. If this is the rumored WiiU pokemon game, and its a full fledged 3-dimensional take on the handheld series I would love that. If its still sprite based but its some sort of MMO, I'd be all for that too. Or even better, if its 3-dimensional and an MMO, that would be amazing. If released for the Wii-U you could start in a new region, or a region we've been to before. And new regions could be added in the future via DLC/Expansion Packs. << This is what Game Freak should ultimately aim to do as it is. They could just keep adding new regions and pokemon without ever having to release a full fledged new game. And you could still keep the challenge by having some sort of rule in effect for when you enter a new region, pokemon you've already caught can't be used (until you get your 8 gym battles or what have you), kinda like what Ash would do in the series. (except he always kept Pikachu of course).
I think what would be really cool about this kind of game design especially if its an MMO is that you could have genuine Pokemon League championships, with only one final winner like in the anime again. They could hold one League Championship game a day or something like that, so each League championship can only have a single winner a day, making your win there all the more epic.
And then also they could limit the Legendaries, only have them appear very rarely so that not everyone can load up their team with legendaries.

So many possibilities if they ever went full 3-dimensional and MMO. I honestly think if done right it could do better than WOW ever did.

Of course if it isn't something so ambitious, then I would love to hear gen 6's announcement instead, but it would have to be for the 3DS.

The 3DS has two feature that could make all the difference: Updates and DLCs.
Imagine if you didn't need to buy remakes any futher than this generation.
Imagine having a DLC that brings all new pokémon, of the next gens to the the game, turning it never outdated.

Imagine having a simple update and bang, it is already fully compatible with the next gen hardware.

That's why I deffend that remakes should be done up to generation 5.
After that we'd only need DLCs and updates for current gens

This is a dream, but I'm afraid it never comes true;
Nintendo is too greedy for that.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS has two feature that could make all the difference: Updates and DLCs.
Imagine if you didn't need to buy remakes any futher than this generation.
Imagine having a DLC that brings all new pokémon, of the next gens to the the game, turning it never outdated.

Imagine having a simple update and bang, it is already fully compatible with the next gen hardware.

That's why I deffend that remakes should be done up to generation 5.
After that we'd only need DLCs and updates for current gens

This is a dream, but I'm afraid it never comes true;
Nintendo is too greedy for that.

See your point just negates the need for a remake of any past games though. You could create gen 6, or just a new adventure and then have DLC that includes the past regions with similar storylines within the regions.

I however don't think thats what Pokemon should be. Let the old games be now. The remakes we had were great, but stop with them. However, yes add past regions with their respective pokemon into a new game/games via DLC/expansion packs, but have new stories. The old stories for the most part are weak at best. I hated the gen 3 plot, and I think gen 5 had good plots though. Continue in that direction, but don't rest on the old stories, thats the lazy easy thing to do.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
See your point just negates the need for a remake of any past games though. You could create gen 6, or just a new adventure and then have DLC that includes the past regions with similar storylines within the regions.

I however don't think thats what Pokemon should be. Let the old games be now. The remakes we had were great, but stop with them. However, yes add past regions with their respective pokemon into a new game/games via DLC/expansion packs, but have new stories. The old stories for the most part are weak at best. I hated the gen 3 plot, and I think gen 5 had good plots though. Continue in that direction, but don't rest on the old stories, thats the lazy easy thing to do.

That would be the best option,
but I really doubt Nintendo would ever do this.

I agree with you in everything, especially the story.
Pokémon story is from weak to non-ecxistant.

One of the things that I really liked in Black and White was their deeper story.
It's not enough, but it was a great advance compared to past pokémon stories.

It's funny that Pokémon is the only RPG game that I know, that don't have a good or deep story.

Pokémon graphics are weak, it outside-battle engine is terrible, and, being optimistic, it looks 10-years-old.
The Pokémon formula have not changed since it first game, and this is getting too much repetitive.

The pokemon franchise need some freshness. It needs a deep and interesting story,
it needs up-to-date graphics, it needs to change it's formula, and it needs to be done before people get tired of the franchise.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's also kinda half the reason why I don't play Pokemon anymore. The game stopped in its evolution ages ago - it became dull after Gold and Silver and hasn't changed much since then.

Pokemon is Dynasty Warriors with a more annoying fanbase. It's rehashed shlock but sometimes you just want some rehashed shlock.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Pokemon is Dynasty Warriors with a more annoying fanbase. It's rehashed shlock but sometimes you just want some rehashed shlock.
Except Dynasty Warriors continues to improve as it goes from platform to platform - it actually used to be a fighting game back in the PSX days before it changed into the Dynasty Warriors we know now - Pokemon on the other hand remains the same with really minor face-lifts every now and then.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except Dynasty Warriors continues to improve as it goes from platform to platform - it actually used to be a fighting game back in the PSX days before it changed into the Dynasty Warriors we know now - Pokemon on the other hand remains the same with really minor face-lifts every now and then.

Dynasty Warriors 2-7 have really not changed much. It's still a mindless button masher. The only thing new generations have done is make the games look nicer and put more guys on screen. Dynasty Warriors is as much shlock as Pokemon is.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon > other non changing franchises

I'll at least give Warriors credit for expanding into other areas. Japanese history for Samurai Warriors, Gundam for Dynasty Warriors Gundam, One Piece for Pirate Warriors, and mashing up Samurai/Dynasty Warriors with other Tecmo characters for Warriors Orochi.

Reactions: Foxi4

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'll at least give Warriors credit for expanding into other areas. Japanese history for Samurai Warriors, Gundam for Dynasty Warriors Gundam, One Piece for Pirate Warriors, and mashing up Samurai/Dynasty Warriors with other Tecmo characters for Warriors Orochi.
Pokemon Conquest
Fuck yeah Guildo

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I Want:
R/S/E Remake
Pokemon Stadium/Colosseum-esque game
New Pokemon Snap
New Pokemon Puzzle League

What it likely is:
Some shitty Cellphone game
Crappy new event pokemon
Horrible spinoff game like Trozei or Dash or something
A reveal for a countdown for another reveal

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
Trophies
XP
Country
I am expecting something worse than 50 shades of Pokemon Grey. Mystery Dungeon perhaps or a sequel to snap in 3D.

Wait, the Wii U is a thing so I expect it will be a "get pokemon storage in hd and have battles with them in a nice looking setting but with limited animations that make the whole thing very tiresome within 10 minutes" sort of affair

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: I have it in my hands