New Monster Hunter title named Monster Hunter Cross is heading to the 3DS this year

ss+(2015-05-31+at+02.01.55).jpg

The game was announced in the direct just a few minutes ago.
It seems like a fast paced action game, which is quite different from the regular MH series.

:arrow:Official website

Reactions: raulpica

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
This has me both excited and a little concerned at the same time. More Monster Hunter is always welcome, I'm a big fan, but it seems to be dumbing down the traditional gameplay somewhat, presumably to appeal to the 'bro gamer' crowd who don't understand mechanics more complex than 'press left trigger then right trigger to auto-shoot everyone'. The blatant reuse of assets is annoying as well, but I did see few new monsters in there, even if the maps are recycled. If it keeps the spirit of the main series but adds optional new stuff, then it's a day one purchase. But if this is what starts the over-simplification of the series that costs it its unique identity then I will be....angered. By all means make the game easier to get into for new players but with better tutorials and explanations, not by compromising what the series has always been about.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I groaned a little. I've tried Monster Hunter multiple times, and I just find it boring. I also find the 3DS to be woefully unsuited for the series, but that's an entirely different complaint. I guess at this point, it would simply cost too much to develop on another platform, so much like Raulpica's guess, I'd say money is the big issue in moving the series even just over to the Wii U (although moving it to the Wii U would be a god awful decision in terms of sales). Basically, Capcom is just following the money.

Oh well. If this game feels less boring, maybe I'll actually consider buying it and not selling it off a few days later.

GameSystem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't believe how few MH fans there are on this site. I'm super excited for this. I hope they get rid of the relic system though. Farming for those kinda ruined 4 for me.

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Those frontier-like super moves look disgusting
I sure hope this isn't the direction MH is headed with the main serie

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh look, Capcom being stingy jackasses by refusing to release yet another MH game stateside. What joy.

Where does it say it won't come to the west? I mean, I REALLY hope a free region cart loader like RegionFOUR is working on latest firmware when this is out since I don't want to wait over a year for it to hit the west, but the franchise is literally booming over here at this point. There's no reason Capcom wouldn't bring it here, because doing so would only mean more sales.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh look, Capcom being stingy jackasses by refusing to release yet another MH game stateside. What joy.
Note that it has been only revealed in japan... During a japan exclusive Nintendo Direct.
Note that we didn't have any announcement about any upcoming games overseas lately.

Basically, it's too early to say that for now.

Reactions: NEP

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is that game, BTW?
I'm actually getting into this one more than Monster Hunter Tri, for certain. Even though the tutorials portions haven't been patched to English. That was certainly interesting to try and figure out :lol: . But at any rate, it seems more engaging (somehow) than the other MH games I've played and overall is an amazing-looking PSP title :yaypsp:

Reactions: the_randomizer

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Judging by the comments here it sounds like they had another pull on the rerelease-o-tron handle. Oh well, maybe one day we will see a version with gameplay that lives up to the underlying concepts.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems like a fast paced action game, which is quite different from the regular MH series.

I don't see the "fast pace" in the trailer at all. Trailers are meant to grab attention, but I still see very well timed hits with very very slow weapons. There's one weapon that has some fast striking in the video but that's it. Sadly, I wish I could get into these games as they look very fun, but I can't get over how long it takes to attack and how well timed your strikes have to be in these games.

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I see the main village from Monster Hunter Portable 3rd made it in.

I love~~ MH3rd Village.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I don't see the "fast pace" in the trailer at all. Trailers are meant to grab attention, but I still see very well timed hits with very very slow weapons. There's one weapon that has some fast striking in the video but that's it. Sadly, I wish I could get into these games as they look very fun, but I can't get over how long it takes to attack and how well timed your strikes have to be in these games.
The game's pace is normal, not slow. Dunno why people say its slow.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game's pace is normal, not slow. Dunno why people say its slow.

Not really, it's slow by a large margin. Most games you can choose the pace. Let's take the original SMB for example. Basic, yet challenging, and the challenge lies in how fast you'd like to play. Want to have mario jog along hopping on every enemy? You can do that. Want to pick up the pace and sprint around every level speed-run style? You can do that too. Even Pong and Warlords on the Atari had a slow to fast tempo the longer you play, and this series does not from what I can see. It's the same pace the whole game which kills it for me.

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm starting to think that they keep producing the Monster Hunter games instead of other stuff because of their extremely low cost.

Think of it, 90% of the equipment models (weapons, armors, etc) in MH4 were already done in a previous game. Same goes for the monsters. The moves are the same as well, so they just reused the AI. They just created a new city, 2-3 new monsters and called it a day.

MH4 probably costed them something like 200000$ and that's why the super-cash-strapped Capcom can produce new MH games but not other games.

What are they also producing lately? Right, Resident Evil ports. Which have low costs, as well.

IMHO, Capcom just doesn't have the money anymore to invest in games which require even the slightest amount of capital.
Wasn't Capcom that company that had around a couple million left in the bank? I remember there was an article on GBATemp that said a gaming company had barely any capital left in the bank.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wasn't Capcom that company that had around a couple million left in the bank? I remember there was an article on GBATemp that said a gaming company had barely any capital left in the bank.
Indeed, it was them - if it weren't for their IPs (which I suppose hover at least around the billion of dollars), Inafune could've bought Capcom with the money he raised with the Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter :rofl2:

Blindfoldedchaos

Space Captain
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's a spin off not a main entry.

Cross was announced as the next main.
4 Towns, 1 being MH2, 1 being MHFU, 1 being MH3rd's, 1 new
4 flagship monsters, and apparently a butt load of other new monsters
MH Frontier styled flashy action moves, on top of what we already have
also announced was 4 'classes'
Basicly every weapon is going to have 4 'styles' to pick, with one being a highly Technical one
Also super moves, things like that aoe heal looking thing the glave did, they are like FF's limit breaks, but not a shared bar
The style and weapon you pick will effect your super move,
Alot of emphasis on 'Personalization' and 4 player

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Cross was announced as the next main.
4 Towns, 1 being MH2, 1 being MHFU, 1 being MH3rd's, 1 new
4 flagship monsters, and apparently a butt load of other new monsters
MH Frontier styled flashy action moves, on top of what we already have
also announced was 4 'classes'
Basicly every weapon is going to have 4 'styles' to pick, with one being a highly Technical one
Also super moves, things like that aoe heal looking thing the glave did, they are like FF's limit breaks, but not a shared bar
The style and weapon you pick will effect your super move,
Alot of emphasis on 'Personalization' and 4 player
A shame this awesome sounding title had to be announced for 3DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr