Hacking New Linux working on PS3 Video

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whoa, whoa, whoa.... "the drive on the slim is actually formatted using a standard DOS partition table and Linux file system." Does this mean that we can have FAT32 formatted internal HDs on a PS3? What's the cluster size?!?!?!

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Marcan goes onto say, "there is no custom PS3 stuff going on." Is this to be interpreted as:

1. There is no unique internal hdd format for the PS3. ...or
2. There IS a unique internal hdd format for the PS3, however for the purposes of this experiment I'm using a Linux friendly format to run my own homebrew and furthermore prove that the PS3 can and will accept a non-PS3 format as well as its own.

I personally have removed my PS3's internal hdd and connected it to both a Mac and a PC via a SATA to USB adapter and an external power supply. Neither OS can read it and therefore both want to format it (I clicked No.) I have not tried connecting it to a Linux machine as I do not have access to one.

I know that PS3 homebrew is still in it's nascent stages, but has anyone actually stated/discovered the internal hdd format of the PS3? I've searched a bit myself and have found nothing.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ergo, I refer to my original post. Linux, to the best of my knowledge, can read FAT32 at best; although there are are other Linux formats, this is the defacto (DOS-friendly) standard. Is it possible to make a PS3 read anything but Sony's PS3 format on an internal hdd... .... or is it just simply too soon to tell?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Huh, my bad. Sorry.

And I think this is news worthy. Not everything in the PS3 scene is, but I felt this was. I don't own a PS3 myself, but I thought this was a fairly big development. Won't bother next time then.

xraven13

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Noob reports to ask a bunch of questions !
biggrin.gif

So with Linux running will we be able to run Linux apps that are made for PC on PS3 ? Or some modifications are needed ? Since OS its all the same, but I am not sure is there any problem because hardware is different...
Any possibility we could run Linux games made for PC such as Magicka on PS3 ? Cell CPU should be enough to run it, and if not is there any way to "unlock" RSX ?

If nothing of that is possible, what exactly Linux enables to standard users..?
smile.gif

xraven13

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Ok.
So for example Dolphine Wii emulator that works on Linux, could be compiled to works on PPC right ? How hard is to achieve that ( port from x86 to PPC )...?
And would PS3 be able to run the Wii games that way ?
smile.gif

bialy_gibson

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well, AFAIK the problem with Linux on PS3 was that it couldn't use hardware graphics. My brother tried to run xmoto on his PS3 and it was unplayable. Same thing with playing movies, they were fine when run on original size, but if upscaled to fullscreen it turned unwatchable (either glitches or slowdown). That was the problem with legal installation of the Linux on PS3 as other os. The good news is that I read somwhere about running illegal homebrew with devices such as jailbreake usb, which actually used hardware graphics. It seems that it is also possible for Linux to do that. But as I said earlier, I'm not an expert.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling.