Hacking A9LH Guide Update - Discussion

TidusWulf

Real Aloha
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do this a lot, where you post absolutely nothing helpful (or frequently, nothing at all except for one letter, typically 'K'), and it kind of annoys me, eh.

I guess I'm saying either contribute to the discussion or don't post at all, boosting your messages like this isn't really a polite thing on forums.

The Ignore button is your friend :)

Reactions: Subtle Demise

the assaf

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't like the new guide.
The instructions ain't clear and from what I've seen, some minor important steps are missing (boot, reboot, launch decrypt9 etc).
I liked the old one for being for all (custom )firmwares and for telling you in which step you should start.
I also liked there was 5 steps dedicated to NAND backup and not "btw press a and copy the file".

My setup is 9.2 menuhax+luma3ds emunand and since the process got simpler I thinking of A9LH, but the guide complicated for my setup and it's not clear which steps are for emuNAND and which are for sysNAND.

Reactions: Ghassen-ga

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
OP
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I don't like the new guide.
The instructions ain't clear and from what I've seen, some minor important steps are missing (boot, reboot, launch decrypt9 etc).
I liked the old one for being for all (custom )firmwares and for telling you in which step you should start.
I also liked there was 5 steps dedicated to NAND backup and not "btw press a and copy the file".

My setup is 9.2 menuhax+luma3ds emunand and since the process got simpler I thinking of A9LH, but the guide complicated for my setup and it's not clear which steps are for emuNAND and which are for sysNAND.
All steps are for sysNAND except at the end where you can choose to flash emuNAND to sysNAND.

Edit: you should probably actually read the thing before dismissing it. This paragraph is in Part 1:

If you have already hacked your 3DS before and have a RedNAND based CFW setup, this guide deals exclusively with SysNAND and you should follow all instructions from within or applying to SysNAND. Note that the terms EmuNAND and RedNAND refer to slightly different implementations of the same concept.

Last edited by Quantumcat,
Reactions: Deleted User

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So, with this guide I could also go from my menuhax emunand to sysnand, and keep all my emunand data by injecting said emunand into sysnand once a9lh is set up?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just took a look at the guide and holy smokes it appears to have gotten MUCH easier, even more so than I expected.
Step one is just getting Decrypt 9 working.
If you are already on 9.2 this guide could probably easily be done in under an hour.
It also removes OTPHelper, which caused so many posts of people who were stuck at validation when transferring 2.1 redNAND to sysNAND.

I also foresee a storm approaching of new A9LH users with questions that have likely already been answered. But oh well, you have to start somewhere, and the more A9LH users the better.
At this point there almost is no reason to not install A9LH. The complaints before were that it took too long and was too complicated. This simplifies it so much that it really should no longer not be worth it to users, especially with the FIRM write protection and CFW sysNAND that allows you to update without worrying if you will accidentally remove your exploit abilities.

nedron92

Trophies
Website
www.github.com
XP
Country
Germany
I've downgraded a 10.3 normal 3DS to 9.2 yesterday .
I want intall an emuNand today (cause the guide wasn't updated).
But now I should follow the new guide with the ctr-transfer, right? Seems a bit better, maybe safer then before ^^

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
if i have stuff on emunand i want to keep, but also gba games on sysnand, if i want to keep the emunand stuff, i'll lose my gba progress and have to install those again, right?

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
I liked the old method were it was more of a challange with that higher risk factor. Does that sound wrong?

Anyway, this looks great now and a time saver and one for those who had lesser balls to do it before:)

Thanks "P"

Wiip™

Worth a penny.
Trophies
XP
Country
So after posting a thread yesterday about being stuck and got help really quickly there thought I should post here again.

I just finished part 3, section IV of the guide but am now stuck on a black screen, even though my nand backup is valid. The troubleshooting guide I am supposed to follow isn't working for me either.

What am I supposed to do?

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh I didn't realise. I hope there's a solution for him!
not like theres a lot to lose, was just wondering.

Further, just for understanding, part 2, this isnt actually downgrading like if you were on 10.7 going down to 9.2, is it? its just overwriting part of nand?
so there's no more biting nails while a corrupted screen shows titles being installed?

really the only thing this lacks is more screenshots and a video.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Paccc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I did the old guide with freakyhax, but now I have a friends 1.0.0-0e 3ds
and the guide only lists cubicninja or DS cart MSET as alternatives.

Is it true that upgrading to 9.X via game cart is impossible because
it will not give the -0E version 3ds the software for homebrew hacks?

Looking at smealum the otherbin only targets -7E as lowest
but it said somewhere that the last digit will not be updated by a game update...

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
If anyone understands the technical side of the CTR transfer, please do a write-up!

From 3dbrew: CTRNAND

This means quite an amount of things, but the most important one, if i'm not mistaken: Prevents FIRM partition writes until the installation of A9LH itself, allowing N's recovery mode to go back to 11.0 even if the downgrade to 2.1 crashed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)