New Full-scale FINAL FANTASY game specifically designed for mobile devices coming to the West

Players Can Embark on a New Adventure with FINAL FANTASY BRAVE EXVIUS this Summer.
Square Enix today announced that FINAL FANTASY: BRAVE EXVIUS, a brand-new FINAL FANTASY experience, will launch in Europe and PAL territories, for free, on iOS and Android devices this summer. Having already drawn in five million players in Japan, FINAL FANTASY: BRAVE EXVIUS is an entirely new role-playing adventure for the mobile generation. The title brings classic FINAL FANTASY lore with legendary heroes from the series.

Adventurers will follow two knights of the kingdom of Grandshelt, and a young girl who suddenly appears before them, as they begin their quest to pursue a highly sought after crystal. Players will make their way through various types of dungeons to search for items, collect gil, uncover hidden paths, and venture new routes.

The title features:
· Traditional, turn-based gameplay with streamlined battle mechanics and intuitive touch controls, making it easy to pick up and play for newcomers as well as long-time fans
· Players will be able to move their characters through fields and dungeons to search for items, hidden paths, and new routes.
· High-quality CG animations of FINAL FANTASY summons
· Appearances from new and characters from past titles like the Warrior of Light, Cecil, Vivi, and Terra
· A complete RPG experience in an easy, portable format for mobile phones

Starting today, players can pre-register online at finalfantasyexvius.com to receive special in-game items at launch. This title is being developed as a collaboration between SQUARE ENIX® and gumi Inc. (developer of the hit title Brave Frontier). The game will launch in six languages: English, German, French, Spanish, Chinese (traditional), and Korean.​

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
My god what's up with these android game the last couple of months and i was thinking android was becoming less of a thing this last year for gaming but seems i was wrong,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't think we're quite there yet

3ds hit in early 2011, or now a solid 5 years everywhere that traditionally matters.
http://www.advanscene.com/html/db3dslst.php has some 1500 releases and http://www.3dsdb.com/ lists some 2100.

6600 for advanscene on the DS. http://www.abgx.net/nds_releases_date.txt reckons "Total releases: 8088 (including 590 nuked)" up until today or 5400 or so (5000 if you discount the nukes) for about the same timeframe as the 3ds has now been around.

Now many of those are v01 releases, especially the later stuff on the DS for the last few years, where the 3ds has a patching/update system to dodge much of that. In that same timeframe list though I saw 45 counts of v1.?.

Maybe not dead but the writing is on the wall, has dried and is getting splattered by blood and gore as the long drawn out death rattle happens.

Games on andrios... I am not sure what we have for release numbers but it is a fairly safe bet to say it is higher.

Numbers themselves are not everything, however I have said before that doing http://gbatemp.net/threads/links-to-various-gbatemp-features-over-the-years.352851/ I would look up devs and many had migrated wholesale to android and IOS, it certainly gutted the homebrew world. Even those that remain releasing things for the 3ds are not shy about releasing things for andrios.

Granted I am not looking to andrios quite yet to relive the GBA library, just slightly fancier, like what I did for the DS and did not do for the 3ds -- it does seem to be lacking in the longer form games and the games like what might have appeared on the 16 bit consoles, however this seems to be Square Enix, one of the bigger makers of that sort of game, saying we are in.

Fire_Slasher

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well the internet in my country sucks, I hope this is not always-online as I would need to be home to play and quite frankly I doubt I want to play this at home where I prob got better games.

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
We're absolutely there. Mobile technology moves so fast that releasing a standalone handheld is futile - next month the next smartphone will be faster and better, the same applies to consoles in general. The PS4 and the XBO are about 6-7 times more powerful than their predecessors, but by the time they were released 4K became "a thing" and the effort to achieve 1080p@60FPS or the whereabouts was all for naught. Sony is unlikely to release a new PSP after the Vita - the sales were abyssmal compared to the PSP. The 3DS sold relatively well, but even it never came close to the sales results of the DS which sold anomalously well, or even the GBA. Consoles are on their way out whether we like it or not, and like many other things their brands will survive as services integrated into future hardware. It won't happen tomorrow, but it will in the forseeable future. This doesn't mean that dedicated hardware will disappear - it will still be there, like professional cameras, cheapo disposable MP3 players or built-in satnav, but they'll be low-key and very targeted. It's just something that's going to happen because each one of us owns a handset that's more powerful than our consoles and could do the same job, so the reasons for more clutter in our pockets are wearing very thin very quickly.
They were multiplatform back in Atari days and it did them a world of good when it came to marketing their own devices later on, so why not? The industry is slowly but surely reaching a critical mass where engineering is so costly and time-consuming that it'll have to eventually collapse in on itself - we've seen it before, we're seeing it now.

Eloquent in its brevity.

DesuIsSparta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure why this is receiving such negativity. I see this working out very well for both the franchise and the players. I'd buy it.

phalk

Handheld Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
We're absolutely there.

Peple have been saying we're there since 2012 (even earlier, really). But sorry, mobile gaming will never be handheld gaming. Mark my words: NEVER.

I do think that handheld game industry is dying, and it will probably cease to exist in the next few years. However, mobile gaming a totally different beast.

It will never replace handheld because the games will never work like they do in handhelds. It's has a different approach, different design and more importantly: The target audience is NOT the same.
People who like handhelds, in general, do not like what mobile games have to offer and people who like mobile gaming have no interest whatsoever in handheld devices and it's games.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Also not excited for the mobile exclusive thing. At least a port for handheld consoles would be nice. The gameplay itself doesn't seem bad, looking at the characters though, the plot seems bad...

T-hug

Always like this.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
I'm not sure why this is receiving such negativity. I see this working out very well for both the franchise and the players. I'd buy it.
To me it looks like Brave Frontier with an FF skin. I just hope it's a fairly priced game and not f2p full of microtransactions. Only way I'll give it a go.

Reactions: DesuIsSparta

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'd love if it was at least for windows phone too.
I guess the next phone I'll gonna get will be one of these android phones with controller buttons now that it looks more and more like handhelds are dying out.

3DSPoet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This might be interesting, it really depends on how they do it...I'm in the US and not that worried about it, so meh...

As for the debates on the life of consoles vs. phones. I have 2 opinions on that.

First off, I'm betting going to a strictly mobile phone/device gaming society over having dedicated gaming consoles is just as close on the horizon as becoming a completely paperless society. Sure, we all get some of our receipts via e-mail, but there's still a whole lot of paper being handed out...even though we were supposed to go paperless the minute alternatives were available....

Second opinion, the need for synergized systems (one system that does it all) will continue to grow and evolve as interfaces and hardware does. For instance, AR & VR are very ugly and unwieldy technologies right now. But as they mature and the hardware gets smaller and more powerful, they'll eventually become more than gimmicks and novelties and become real, useful interfaces and we'll make our phone calls, play our video games, do our work, etc all from one super intelligent, extremely versatile system.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Peple have been saying we're there since 2012 (even earlier, really). But sorry, mobile gaming will never be handheld gaming. Mark my words: NEVER.

I do think that handheld game industry is dying, and it will probably cease to exist in the next few years. However, mobile gaming a totally different beast.

It will never replace handheld because the games will never work like they do in handhelds. It's has a different approach, different design and more importantly: The target audience is NOT the same.
People who like handhelds, in general, do not like what mobile games have to offer and people who like mobile gaming have no interest whatsoever in handheld devices and it's games.
That's very optimistic of you to say, but you fail to account for the fact that the "target audience for consoles" you speak of is a minority. How do I know that? Because the Wii U sold like crap. It had all the gimmicky boogie woogie Nintendo fans love, all the franchises they revere, the capability to run in Full HD and it fell to the ground like a lead zeppelin. You might ask yourself "why?", but that question was already answered - there just isn't that many "hardcore fans" out there. Most people above the age of 10 don't give a rat's ass which piece of plastic plays their games as long as it does so competently - that's how the NES killed Atari, that's how the PlayStation killed the N64 and that's how the smartphone will kill the handheld console. People have been saying that since 2012 because it's been happening since 2012 - it's a gradual process. You're making the mistake of drawing a parallel between the game and the device it's on when there rarely is a connection. Mario would be Mario regardless of whether you put him on a console, a phone or a PC - the platform doesn't necessitate the gameplay mechanics. Mobile games are "different" now, but they don't have to be. Mixing the realm of software and hardware together is a bit naive. I have nothing against gaming on smartphones - that just means that my next console will also be a phone, maybe with dedicated controls - who knows? The only thing that's certain is that it's going to happen - the decline is slow, but steady. Chances are that consoles will never be fully retired, just like "paper documents" won't, but guess what? I pay my taxes and bills over the phone or the Internet, I do my banking over the Internet too, and I haven't sent a letter in at least a decade - I can send a text, it's instantaneous. I've never even sent a fax - I wouldn't know where to start. The only checkbooks I've seen were in 80's movies, and apparently they're still a thing. I think I've made my point clear. Just because something's around doesn't mean it's still relevant, it's just vegetation, vestiges of the old world thanks to which dinosaurs don't feel like complete aliens in a world they don't understand.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The only checkbooks I've seen were in 80's movies, and apparently they're still a thing.
The Big Lebowski was 1998.

Anyway I have made it a sort of hobby to see what people think vis a vis phones and gaming on the move. We progression seems to have shifted from "no way, no how" to "maybe some people that just need something to distract their thumbs" to "maybe a good chunk of the potential user base" to "well I still like Mario".
I think I might see about compiling a greatest hits of such a thing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.