New 2DS XL won't boot. Only blue light.

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by SlashofaSword, Jan 13, 2018 at 5:49 PM.

1. SlashofaSword
    OP

SlashofaSword Member

Newcomer
    May 3, 2017
    My 2DS XL that I got for Christmas just stopped booting. When I went to put in a game card (Mario Kart DS) it didn't register, so I turned it off. Now, when I go to turn it on the blue power light stays on, but nothing happens.

I started charging it (even though it didn't run out of battery) and it still won't turn on. The game card slot has been a bit wobbly I've noticed. Games won't appear immediately and I'll have to re-insert them a few times to get them to pop up. Does anyone have some kind of fix for this? It's brand new so I really don't want to send it back to Nintendo for a fix.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. Not hacked/homebrew in any way. Never done anything like that to the ds.

Last edited by SlashofaSword, Jan 13, 2018 at 5:51 PM
  2. Xepherous

Xepherous Member

Newcomer
    Saturday
    United Kingdom
    Since you haven't hacked it in any way, do you have a warranty that is still within date? Maybe take it back to where you bought it from

3. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger GBAtemp Regular

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    What happens when you try booting into safe mode by holding A+R+L+Up(DPad) at power up?

4. SlashofaSword
    OP

SlashofaSword Member

Newcomer
    May 3, 2017
    Sorry. I got it working again. Weirdly enough. It worked after taking the card out again, and when I popped in a 3DS game (to make sure the slot wasn't broken all together) it worked. Tried Mario Kart again, didn't work. Tried another DS game, worked. I put Mario kart into my DSi to see if the game card itself was just faulty and it worked, then it worked in the 2ds. I guess my ds just wanted to embarrass me. Thanks for trying to help though!

Xepherous and TurdPooCharger like this.
  5. Xepherous

Xepherous Member

Newcomer
    Saturday
    United Kingdom
    Good to know your new 2DS is working again. I also recently got the same model myself and love it

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Just curious what does this do?

6. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger GBAtemp Regular

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    This will bring your System Update if your 3DS is working asking you to update. This is used as a check in resetting minor soft bricks with game hang ups and an indirect way of diagnosing more serious ones.

7. Xepherous

Xepherous Member

Newcomer
    Saturday
    United Kingdom
    Ah nice will note this thanks

8. SlashofaSword
    OP

SlashofaSword Member

Newcomer
    May 3, 2017
    Thanks, I do love the model, just wish I got a 3ds earlier seeing as support will be stopping soon. I didn't even get to use the Miiverse :/

9. Xepherous

Xepherous Member

Newcomer
    Saturday
    United Kingdom
    Fair, I really got it to play classics like AC and Pokemon - which I'm really liking esp. the new graphics compared to old DS!

10. SlashofaSword
    OP

SlashofaSword Member

Newcomer
    May 3, 2017
    Actually thanks to Nintendo being the gods of backwards compatibility I've had the chance to play older games like Pokemon Gold, super happy about that. Nintendo have always done what I've wanted companies to do with bc, Xbox can't even wrap their heads around being able to put an older disc into the newer disc drive.

11. Xepherous

Xepherous Member

Newcomer
    Saturday
    United Kingdom
    I can't find anything online about Nintendo stopping 3DS support? If anything the first result is that they will continue support?

12. SlashofaSword
    OP

SlashofaSword Member

Newcomer
    May 3, 2017
    Well, even though Nintendo have said they want the 3DS to live alongside the switch, I think it's pretty clear (with not very many games coming out and the discontinuation of Miiverse) that the 3DS wont be getting anything new and will probably be losing it's services in the next few years. I actually might make a thread about what I want the 3DS to get before it dies, as I had a few ideas.