New 2D Sonic game, Sonic Mania announced for PS4/XB1/PC

Coming right from a panel at Comic Con, is SEGA's latest Sonic game. It'll be developed by Christian Whitehead, the man behind the mobile ports of Sonic 1, 2 and CD. Titled Sonic Mania, it's set to release on Playstation 4, Xbox One, and PC platforms in Spring 2017. According to the trailer, it appears to be a return to classic 2D form for the series. There's special stages, 3 playable characters (Sonic, Tails and Knuckles), and old school Genesis era graphics.

:arrow: You can find a little bit of footage: HERE

Developed in collaboration between SEGA, Christian Whitehead, Headcannon, and PagodaWest Games, experience new zones and remixed classic levels with Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles!

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With each new Sonic release they celebrate it as if the series has what it takes to stand up the rich and diverse history of Mario.

Most Sonic games are pretty much the same. With the exception of Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, I basically feel like all the 3D games are simply a matter of steer clear of this, jump now, hit that, repeat, and the 2D series is pretty much the same thing, only with each sequel adding in a new gimmick that never quite stacked up as nicely as the diverse set of suits and vehicles that you always had at your disposal in the Mario games, and which always changed the game play DRASTICALLY.

Sonic 1 was fun because it was unique then, and it was not created for Sonic perfectionists yet, so it was playable without dying and loosing your rings constantly. The later sequels began to all feel the same to me despite their gimmicks, and more than that I found my self not caring to see what the next level or "zone" looked like at all. It just wasn't the same as being in the early 90's, wondering what Sega was going to make their home console do next. As far as I am concerned, the series looked the best and had the best levels (in 2D format) with Sega CD. Not only did I like the future dystopian theme, not to mention all around dark them of the game all together, but there was something truly sinister about the robotic Sonic in that game, the art direction was not cute and pastel as all video game art has became since then, and it's really a shame as it's hurt the Sonic series, just as it has plagued Phantasy Star and other once legendary video game series. Having said that though, I can't see the Sonic Adventure games working if they were not cute. Granted the cartoon series sucks and since they are keeping in theme with that, it lends to a bunch of characters and a plot you don't care about, but they games are solid, and as far as Sonic games are concerned, they are the one's that actually try to be unique and diversify the game play, especially in part 2.

Anyhow, Sega should give it, that or TRULY go back to their roots, when they were dark, but alas, it's not even the same developers, team organizers, artists, etc. The glory days are over and Sonic needs to step aside and make room for Alex Kidd or Wonder Boy in all it's Metroidvania goodness!

GuyInDogSuit

Your friendly neighborhood guy in a dog suit.
Trophies
Website
www.sniffglueworshipsatan.com
XP
Country
United States
You know what Sega really needs to revive....

Panzer Dragoon. It took rail shooter games to a whole 'nother level of depth and strategy. Not to mention Azel, the RPG and third title in the series. I was somewhat disappointed with Orta, that it wasn't an RPG, but it was very well done and managed to live up to the series. We need an HD collection of the the first three, redone in.... I dunno, Unity or Unreal 4.

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really want to like the Sonic games. With such an emphasis on speed, you go smashing into walls and enemies fairly often. It really sucks the fun out of it for me when I can't go fast in the game that wants me to go super fast.

Reactions: Deleted User

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Anyhow, Sega should give it, that or TRULY go back to their roots, when they were dark, but alas, it's not even the same developers, team organizers, artists, etc. The glory days are over and Sonic needs to step aside and make room for Alex Kidd or Wonder Boy in all it's Metroidvania goodness!
I second WonderBoy. Seeing as you're a SEGA fan, or enthusiast, I presume you know about the two WonderBoy games that are being released in the near future (WonderBoy The Dragon's Trap and Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom). As far as I remember they've got nothing to do with SEGA, correct me if I'm wrong. Anyways, that doesn't change the fact that there's a lot to look forward to for retro SEGA fans.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I really want to like the Sonic games. With such an emphasis on speed, you go smashing into walls and enemies fairly often. It really sucks the fun out of it for me when I can't go fast in the game that wants me to go super fast.
I believe the games that made going super fast easy are the ones on DS (Rush and Colors), given that you master the controls and especially the Y-charging. The earlier games were influenced by the time they were from, where platforming was the standard. Personally, I think they are perfect mixes of the fast and the platforming gameplay.

Last edited by Zense,

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I second WonderBoy. Seeing as you're a Sega fan, or enthusiast, I presume you know about the two WonderBoy games that are being released in the near future (WonderBoy The Dragon's Trap and Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom). As far as I remember they've got nothing to do with sega, correct me if I'm wrong. Anyways, that doesn't change the fact that there's a lot to look forward to for retro SEGA fans.

I was not aware of this... Hurray!!!!!! :)

Reactions: Zense

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
This looks awful. The colours in the new zone they've shown off are garish enough to make your eyes bleed.

Why such lazy, 16bit graphics? Take the new 'old' Sonic engine created my Mr Whitehead, and paste in some gorgeous graphics and hey-presto.... A good-looking retro-playing Sonic game... Too much work?

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who said the game will be a disc format? Maybe is a download only, it look like a download kind of game. No one would put a game like that on disc. :glare:

I hope :unsure:
I think I will leave this here:
41PJFXuyjZL.jpg

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks awful. The colours in the new zone they've shown off are garish enough to make your eyes bleed.

Why such lazy, 16bit graphics? Take the new 'old' Sonic engine created my Mr Whitehead, and paste in some gorgeous graphics and hey-presto.... A good-looking retro-playing Sonic game... Too much work?
Implying that pixel art is lazy.

Reactions: LuigiXHero

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am surprised at the lack of any Nintendo platforms for this game. Nintendo systems are well known for their platformers and this doesnt exactly look like a demanding game the Wii U or 3DS couldnt handle. Wonder what beef Sega has with Nintendo.

Last edited by RemixDeluxe,
Reactions: keven3477

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Don't get your hopes up is all i'm saying...

rc0kli.jpg

We've had a grand total of 1 good Sonic game since Sonic Adventure 2 in 2001, Sonic Generations in 2011, I don't think were due another good game for another 5 years yet.

I would love to be proved wrong though :), however 1 good game in 15 years (my opinion of course) is not a great track record sadly! I was a massive Sonic fan as a kid too.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@InsaneNutter

Thats your opinion and your welcome to hold whatever you want but the Sonic Advance games, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Rush, Sonic Colors were well respectable games by both fans and critics. I sincerely doubt you played these games if you couldnt even give them consideration as decent at the very least. Not saying you have to like them but acknowledge they are at least good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.