Never hacked anything before, just want to record a Nuzlocke run

SpectralSpectre

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I'm brand new to the whole hacking scene. I started doing some research on the subject a couple of hours ago and I understand just as much now as I did when I started, that is to say, almost none (well, it FEELS like none).

I understand that the NTR CFW method is best for my needs. I understand that in order to use that, I need to put a CFW onto my New 3DS. I understand that the best CFW is the "n00b-proof" Luma3DS. I've also seen that you need to fiddle with the SD card, and downgrade the system to 9.2 (currently I'm on 11.2), and something about entry points (I have to buy a shit game(???)).

My main point is, I keep finding more and more things I need to do before I can do anything else. It's incredibly overwhelming, and on top of all this, I'm deadly scared of bricking my device. I have both a New 3DS XL and an old 3DS XL, I'm much more willing to take risks with the old one but I do understand that the NTR CFW method only works with the New 3DS.
I guess what I need is a step-by-step tutorial that takes EVERYTHING from the absolute tippy-top.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by SpectralSpectre,

Erion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
there is a method to record your screen without a capture card as given in thread.

but for you to do that you have to have a CFW installed .
You will need:
- N3DS or N3DS XL with a CFW already set up (so that it can install and run homebrew .cia)

im not aware of any other method , but why dont you go through the thread ,you may find something useful.

BTW: welcome to GBAtemp.

SpectralSpectre

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Erion, thanks for your reply. That was the method I was referring to. I've never installed a CFW or done any hacking or coding of any console or computer before, and I don't know where to start. That's the basic long-and-short of my problem.

I went to look up how to install Luma3DS, since from what I understand that's the safest and simplest CFW to use for a beginner. But the guide for that says I need to downgrade my console to 9.2 (from 11.2, which needs a 'hardmod downgrade' or 'DSiware downgrade'). To do a Hardmod downgrade, I need to make a NAND dump, which I have no idea what that is, by connecting my 3DS to my computer with a fakeSD cable, which I don't have.
To do a DSiware downgrade, I need a second 3DS... which already has a CFW installed.

The further I look for a definitive starting point, the further away it seems, and the more overwhelmed I get with unfamiliar terminology and (seemingly) dangerous, complex tasks. I only have one New 3DS XL system and I do not have the funds to get another one if I break it. I DO have an old 3DS XL as well, but from what I can see the NTR CFW method won't work on it.

Erion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
You know there are many newbie friendly videos in YouTube which can help you.
Try checking those .
Also if you get and questions then you can Post those in 3ds modding section .

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hi Erion, thanks for your reply. That was the method I was referring to. I've never installed a CFW or done any hacking or coding of any console or computer before, and I don't know where to start. That's the basic long-and-short of my problem.

I went to look up how to install Luma3DS, since from what I understand that's the safest and simplest CFW to use for a beginner. But the guide for that says I need to downgrade my console to 9.2 (from 11.2, which needs a 'hardmod downgrade' or 'DSiware downgrade'). To do a Hardmod downgrade, I need to make a NAND dump, which I have no idea what that is, by connecting my 3DS to my computer with a fakeSD cable, which I don't have.
To do a DSiware downgrade, I need a second 3DS... which already has a CFW installed.

The further I look for a definitive starting point, the further away it seems, and the more overwhelmed I get with unfamiliar terminology and (seemingly) dangerous, complex tasks. I only have one New 3DS XL system and I do not have the funds to get another one if I break it. I DO have an old 3DS XL as well, but from what I can see the NTR CFW method won't work on it.

I know exactly how you feel. I'm almost in your boat, but I know a little now thanks to mostly the fellow members of GBATemp. I have CFW installed though, but I'm still scared to take steps to install Luma3DS.

Now as far as hardmods go .. It's called a hardmod for reason. You need to actually physically open up your console and do soldering etc. I'm preeetty sure that's not something you're willing to do. Wouldn't recommend it anyway. I think the real question here is what OFW your Old 3DS is on? Because if it's low enough, you can install A9LH on it without either hard mod or DSiWare downgrade. And if you can install A9LH on your Old 3DS, you can then downgrade your N3DS using the DsiWare method and your Old 3DS. If your O3DS is on 11.2 too then you're out of luck, unless you can find someone in your area that has a 3DS with CFW and would be willing to help you out (for a fee - for example?). Could probably find such a person in GBATemp to be honest.

This guide will teach you how to install A9LH and subsequently Luma3DS. I recommend reading it - it is very thorough.

Anyway this isn't really the place to discuss this, because this is the introduction forum. The 3DS subforum as helpful threads and you could even create your own thread there. (Or just ask a mod to move this thread there).

Last edited by Distrance,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    fluff663 @ fluff663: hoi