Gaming Netflix on ps4

HipsterPluto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I bought a (used) ps4 yesterday and played a little. Now I was searching for some other things I could do with the ps4, like watching Netflix. But I couldn't find a way to install it. It's not at "movies & tv" and also not at "apps" at the store. In fact, I can only click on "all apps", where there are just 8 apps I can download.
I am logged in with my psn account (I don't have playstation plus).

Does anyone know how to get Netflix on my ps4?

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't know how the TV & Video icon on main menu (if it doesn't show up, try changing the option that shows all apps on the ps4 settings menu) appears with european PSN accounts, but you should be able to find the netflix app at the PSStore (app section or use the search function).
Worst case if the netflix app isn't available at your account store, try making a US PSN account and using it to download the app from ps store.

HipsterPluto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't know how the TV & Video icon on main menu (if it doesn't show up, try changing the option that shows all apps on the ps4 settings menu) appears with european PSN accounts, but you should be able to find the netflix app at the PSStore (app section or use the search function).
Worst case if the netflix app isn't available at your account store, try making a US PSN account and using it to download the app from ps store.

There are 8 apps availble when I click on "all apps", and Netflix is not one of them. When searching it, it doesn't show up either.

I'll try making an US account. Thanks for your reply

Reactions: Tomy Sakazaki

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
N
There are 8 apps availble when I click on "all apps", and Netflix is not one of them. When searching it, it doesn't show up either.

I'll try making an US account. Thanks for your reply
Np, and sorry, I didn't realized that you actually had searched through the ps store before (using gbatemp while working =S ).
I think that you can download the app with the US account and use the app with your actual PSN account.
There isn't any paywall to use the media apps so don't having PSN+ isn't a problem with this, the worst netflix can do is block the app with your region ip/dns settings (they unfortunately do this on 3DS blocking brazilian users out of the app).

HipsterPluto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
N
Np, and sorry, I didn't realized that you actually had searched through the ps store before (using gbatemp while working =S ).
I think that you can download the app with the US account and use the app with your actual PSN account.
There isn't any paywall to use the media apps so don't having PSN+ isn't a problem with this, the worst netflix can do is block the app with your region ip/dns settings (they unfortunately do this on 3DS blocking brazilian users out of the app).

I just made an US account and Netflix works on that one. I hope there will be a way to get it with an european account, but for now I'll have to do it with this.
Thanks!

Reactions: Tomy Sakazaki

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't really like netflix. So, what I do, I download all my tv shows and movies and I put them in a folder on my computer.
Then, I installed a Plex server on my pc, and Plex client on my ps4.
To use it on ps4 however, you need Plex premium. It isn't free, but it isn't expansive. 5$ a month, 40$ a year or 150$ for a lifetime pass.
Then, I can stream all my tv shows and movie on my ps4 thanks to Plex.
Hope it can help you :)

Reactions: T-hug

HipsterPluto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't really like netflix. So, what I do, I download all my tv shows and movies and I put them in a folder on my computer.
To use it on ps4 however, you need Plex premium. It isn't free, but it isn't expansive. 5$ a month, 40$ a year or 150$ for a lifetime pass.

Thanks for your reply. I'll look it up.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just an FYI, Netflix is available in Europe and I've had it since the PS4 launch. It should be available in the store, but AFAIK only if Netflix is available locally and not blocked by your ISP (Should not be an European problem, but it has happened in the US)

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

$5 a month is barely less than a Netflix account in the first place. You can stream your downloaded movies using WMP on a Windows PC to PS4's media player and there's no charge for that. Only problem is if your downloads are in a format the PS4 doesn't like, but I'm sure there're ways to convert them.

BTW, you can do this on PS3 and 360, too. I've been doing it for years. Hell, these days you can even stream directly to many TV sets that way.

EDIT
Forget what I said about Plex, it is now free to use it on PS4
Whoops, didn't see that, but my point still stands, you don't need Plex, but if that works for you, great, nothing wrong with using Plex.

Last edited by tbb043,

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Only problem with plex....it can fill up your PC in a hurry.
if you have a very old pc, yeah, maybe.
But with my 2TB computer, I have a partition of 800GB specially for videos.
If I don't download anything HD and stick with regular 540p, it's about 350MB for an episode (3 episode/GB).

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah... but why would you do that? Seriously. it has nothing to do with old computer. It's that I like my programs to be in HD.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
There were an update (1.0.3) but I still prefer the Wii/WiiU interface.
They didn't fix an issue, unless they think it's a feature?

When you access a title to add it to your list, or to rank it, or select an episode OR simply to read the synopsys, then the movie starts right away ! and it's added to your history of watched and to continue watching movies.
On WiiU it's the same interface than PS4 but at least it doesn't auto-play when entering the description page.

The new interface also has issue with subtitles disapearing when skipping the play position. (it's doing the same on WiiU)
it worked fine on the previous/old version, I wish we could revert and choose the version we want to use...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)