Net Neutrality: what it is, and why you should care

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 22, 2017.

1. LukeHasAWii

LukeHasAWii GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 24, 2016
    United States
    Iowa
    I was reading up on the neutrality a little bit more, but I wondered, were there any differences that were actually set in place (that you noticed) before neutrality compared to now? Even without net neutrality in the past I didn't really notice any huge differences. But I could be wrong. What are your opinions about the time before net neutrality? Do you notice any denied access to websites before net neutrality was in place? Personally, I don't recall that happening, but has that happened to any of you? Obviously the chances are a little bit the time before neutrality will be the same as when it inevitably gets repealed, but it would be nice to know that there could be a chance that nothing would really change.
    Edit- not supporting it, just trying to be optimistic

2. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    You have to remember that that was a time pre-ISPs owning streaming services, but yes there actually are cases of that happening before Net Neutrality. For instance, AT&T restricted use of FaceTime on their network unless users paid for a more expensive package (I believe it was because they had a deal with Microsoft to publicize Skype?), and both AT&T and Verizon had been known to completely block communications from organizations they thought were too "controversial"

ThisIsDaAccount likes this.
  3. ThisIsDaAccount

ThisIsDaAccount GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 8, 2016
    United States
    What TotalInsanity4 said. Funny enough, there's also an instance of Verizon blocking some wallet apps to promote their own, which just happened to be named ISIS. I'll let you decide if it's got any connection to the middle east.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

[​IMG]

Apparently it was actually T-Mobile.

4. Coto

Coto GBAtemp Addict

Jun 4, 2010
    Chile
    I fully support net neutrality, development might eventually be affected, and I am sure people behind promoting internet blocking have seen it as something dangerous.

Last edited by Coto, Dec 10, 2017
  5. LukeHasAWii

LukeHasAWii GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 24, 2016
    United States
    Iowa
    Wow. I never used FaceTime so i didn't know that.... that's insane.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  6. ThisIsDaAccount

Apr 8, 2016
    United States
    Yeah, that stuff does happen, and it makes sense it'll probably happen again if ISPs are given the chance. A lot of ISPs have their own apps, like the ISIS wallet, of partnerships with others, like AT&T and Skype.

Heck, AT&T probably has a partnership with HBO now, considering that they're offering it for free with their plans. It's totally possible they'll block Netflix and Hulu to promote HBO Go.

7. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Don't forget Comcast is owned by Time Warner, which has its own streaming service now

8. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Right before Net Neutrality was passed, a lot of stuff was starting to get throttled. If you were a big League of Legends player at the time you definitely noticed it, the game was taking up a lot of traffic and it would lag half a day at a time because the ISP backbones refused to allocate enough bandwidth. Several years prior to that, it wasn't an issue because it wasn't just a few big players who owned everything. Now that is the case, and a monopoly alone isn't good enough for them, they also want to provide you shittier service while charging you more money.

9. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    I thought that was not a thing. Charter and twc though..

10. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Xstream is definitely a thing

11. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    No, Comcast and TWC.

12. ThisIsDaAccount

Apr 8, 2016
    United States
    I don't think Comcast is owned by Time Warner, since Time Warner has an ISP service (Spectrum) that is separate from Comcast. Ddi you mean to say that Time Warner owns HBO?

Either way, Spectrum will probsbly block stuff to promote HBO Go, HBO's streaming service.

TotalInsanity4 and Memoir like this.
  13. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Doesn't Time Warner own Comcast, which owns Mediacom? I could've sworn every time the Warner Bros logo comes up in a movie it has "a Comcast company" under it

14. ThisIsDaAccount

Apr 8, 2016
    United States
    I don't think Comcast has a parent company, and it wouldn't make sense for Comcast to allow Time Warner to sell Spectrum when they could just sell to everyone themselves.

Also, if Comcast owned both Spectrum and their own ISP service, they would be in severe violation of monopoly laws.

TotalInsanity4 and Memoir like this.
  15. MaverickWellington

MaverickWellington *BRAAAPPPPT*

Nov 24, 2017
    United States
    I mean the more and more I read about this stuff the less and less it sounds like a threat, or that big of a problem. I've explained my reasoning just now in the general discord but the gist of it is is that if a company were to do something like create awful packages, throttle, block sites, etc, all one would have to do to make massive bank is announce that they as an ISP don't throttle, charge stupid packages, and so on to make huge bank off this. Even if the big ISPs were to do so, rural ones can start up around this and not work by the rules of shitty, greedy ISPs.

Besides, if you look at Free Press' list of Net Neutrality """violations""", shown here, https://www.freepress.net/blog/2017/04/25/net-neutrality-violations-brief-history you can see a *lot* of these have nothing to do with the internet, but the infrastructure that provides it. This discussion is plagued with fear mongering, and removal of incredibly vital context, which probably explains why Ajit Pai isn't getting involved with all the people screaming on the internet about it, because it's undeniable that a huge majority of them aren't directly informed on the topic but rather from internet journalism sites, or social media, which twist things, get things wrong, or ultimately do not report things factually and accurately enough to have a fair, vital debate on this.

http://hightechforum.org/fact-checking-net-neutrality-violations/
    See this for the removed context I'm talking about.

I think people need to sit down, breathe for a minute, read everything -- not just what some big follower-count anitwitter guy tells you to think, but the proposal itself (found here https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-347927A1.pdf ) -- and think for themselves. Too much of the discussion on this topic is dominated by people pushing an agenda, demonizing Ajit Pai, and so on. I'd like to bring to everyone's attention that if the evil ISPs were planning to do really evil shit, they would have a long time ago and could have, but the whole reason they didn't is because the consumers would flip like no one has ever seen before.

DarthDub likes this.
  16. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    It wouldn't be an issue if there was actual competition in broadband service providers. That competition no longer exists, however. Comcast and Time Warner bought out all the little guys. If they didn't want to hike your rates and make other greedy ultra-capitalist moves, there'd be no reason for them to try and get Net Neutrality repealed in the first place.

When people do try to create local/community broadband now, the result is the big ISPs spend millions to prevent it from happening:

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/...Attacking-Colorado-Community-Broadband-140849

And if you're actually willing to believe/trust Comcast or Time Warner that they won't hike rates, I've got some beachfront property to sell you in Wyoming.

Well gee, I wonder why people would hate on a guy that ignores the entire general population just to push his own pro-corporate agenda. And no, there's no other time in history this would've been possible, because we didn't need Net Neutrality until ISPs started pushing for monopolies and throttling Netflix, League of Legends, and anything else that wasn't "sponsored content." We've already been through this Net Neutrality fight like twice, but people seem to have short memories.

Last edited by Xzi, Dec 10, 2017
  17. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    I think you have Time Warner and Warner Bros mixed up

18. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I have a lot of things mixed up my guy

Edit: but not this apparently. I just looked it up, and Warner Bros. is the entertainment publishing company for Time Warner Inc., and Time Warner Cable and Comcast merged in 2015

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

So

What's your net worth then? /s

Last edited by TotalInsanity4, Dec 10, 2017
    Memoir likes this.
  19. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Everything I've seen says that merger fell through.

20. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Well would'ja look at that