Homebrew neoDS - Update!

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
And also, is there an extremely easy way to convert? Last time I checked, command line was involved and things got messy... :/

Back then, I did a simple execution file to do the conversation for you. It has instructions on the main screen (mainly what files you need in the folder) and the conversation is simple to follow and just let it do it for you.

http://www.filedropper.com/neodspatcher11

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
thanks for updating neoDS nitendo, its nice not having to keep the games at the root =)

+1 for adding argument support. it also works with BAGplug, and hbMenu.
here's some documentation about argv protocol at the devkitpro site that should be useful.
and here's a quote from BassAceGold about argv from the GameYob thread:
BassAceGold said:
argv[0] is the path to the launched binary (path of the emulator binary) and argv[1] is the path to the file to launch. But you aren't specifically limited to just 2 arguments, you are free to add as many as you want if you don't feel like coding some options into a menu.

aea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My builds are not a part of the offical version-chain. That would require me to register at GitHub and stuff - which I'm way to lazy to do.

I think I'm about done with what I wanted to do with neoDS - basically adding in some features the original author probably just postponed and then never got around to implement.

If someone have an idea of a minor improvement and it is something I want to do - then I'll consider doing it.

If someone else want to pick up the neoDS project - I'll be more than happy to share my modest additions to the source-code. Let me know - and I'll upload the modified source-files somewhere.

If that person does not want to migrate the source to more modern versions of devkitARM and libnds - it can be a bit tricky to locate the old libraries. I guess I could upload them along with the source IF anyone wants me to?

/dACE

Holy !@#$...man, this is the console emulator that I have most used in my DS, because I can play games that I cannot in my Gamecube using the NEOCD emulator or the Retroarch NEOGEO core, so I'm testing it out once I return home.And talking about minor improvements, I do not know if these fit in that definition, but I would like to ask if possible in the future:
-Improve the rom compatibility.
-Fix the save game option.
-Take a look at the memory expansion option, because it generates corrupted graphics and it does not seem to improve the game speed.

Out of these little issues, this emulator is one of the coolest homebrew for the console and is well recieved that someone still tries to keep it alive, so thank you for your work.

nitendo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't have a proper emulation environment set-up, so I was forced to validate my code by testing the build live on my flash-card.

Since that flash-card (DSTWO) does not support arguments and since I have a 3DS (with no memory expansion available) - I don't dare to try any of those suggested improvements.

Furthermore, the core of neoDS is written in ASM and to improve that (increased support/faster emulation) you would need to be a pretty advanced programmer (I'm more of a bro-grammer :-)

But - if someone want's to take a stab at it - I have the proper versions of the libraries needed to compile it. Let me know and I'll upload them.

/dACE

habababa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't have a proper emulation environment set-up, so I was forced to validate my code by testing the build live on my flash-card.

Since that flash-card (DSTWO) does not support arguments and since I have a 3DS (with no memory expansion available) - I don't dare to try any of those suggested improvements.

Furthermore, the core of neoDS is written in ASM and to improve that (increased support/faster emulation) you would need to be a pretty advanced programmer (I'm more of a bro-grammer :-)

But - if someone want's to take a stab at it - I have the proper versions of the libraries needed to compile it. Let me know and I'll upload them.

/dACE
Ive sent you a pm.

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
/dACE

well then sir, i double-dog,.. no, i triple-dog-dare you [or somebody] to expand your improvements upon neoDS! =P

DSTwo can/will support argv, it's just teh official EOS that doesn't support arguments.
you can use BAGplug, iMenu (<-alternative menu/loader/gui's for DSTwo), or wintermute's hbmenu for arg stuff on dstwo.
lot's of DS emulators have already (upon request) incorporated it; nesDS, catsfc, gameyob, tempGBA, nitrografx, stellaDS, a7800, dsdoom, and ikureader.

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bums me out that I can't use this. Used it in the past no problem. Now I can't get games to convert. I run the converter with the Bios, and the Rom (All packaged .bins) in the folder, and nothing happens. /sigh
If you look on youtube you can find a pack of roms that are already converted.

Reactions: elBenyo

nitendo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My ini file says:

fat:/neods

naturally I have a folder called "neods" in root with all my roms, but when I boot NeoDS I don't see any roms to select.

Make sure the file does not have a line-break at the very end of the path.
Open the file in notepad, place the caret at the end of the path and hit delete - dont forget to save.

Oh - and append a '/' at the end of the path (I don't remember if it is necessary - but i couldn't hurt :-)

/dACE

Reactions: XDel

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure the file does not have a line-break at the very end of the path.
Open the file in notepad, place the caret at the end of the path and hit delete - dont forget to save.

Oh - and append a '/' at the end of the path (I don't remember if it is necessary - but i couldn't hurt :-)

/dACE

Heh, actually it looks like I never overwrote the original executable, my bad!

mickael28

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Back then, I did a simple execution file to do the conversation for you. It has instructions on the main screen (mainly what files you need in the folder) and the conversation is simple to follow and just let it do it for you.

http://www.filedropper.com/neodspatcher11

Could you upload this one again pls? I'm having problems with NeoDSConvert... maybe this could help

mickael28

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have mslug.zip and neogeo.zip on the NeoDSConvert folder, run the .exe and I got the neogeo.neo file but mslug.neo was not created.

Do you know what could be happening or what I could try? This is the output of the .exe command....

Code:
Looking for mslug...
Opening ROM file: 201-p1.bin
Missing fileLooking for turfmast...
Looking for neogeo...
Opening ROM file: sp-s2.sp1
Loading ROM data: offs=0 len=20000 mask=FF group=2 skip=0 reverse=1
  All done
Verifying length (20000) and checksums
Verify finished
Closing ROM file
Opening ROM file: sm1.sm1
Loading ROM data: offs=0 len=20000 mask=FF group=1 skip=0 reverse=0
Verify finished
Closing ROM file
Opening ROM file: sm1.sm1
Verify finished
Closing ROM file
Opening ROM file: 000-lo.lo
Loading ROM data: offs=0 len=10000 mask=FF group=1 skip=0 reverse=0
Verifying length (10000) and checksums
Verify finished
Closing ROM file
Opening ROM file: sfix.sfx
Verify finished
Closing ROM file
Post-processing region 81
+ datawidth=1 little=1
+ Byte swapping region
Post-processing region 82
+ datawidth=1 little=1
Post-processing region 89
+ datawidth=1 little=1
Post-processing region 8A
+ datawidth=1 little=1
Post-processing region 8B
+ datawidth=1 little=1
Post-processing region 8C
+ datawidth=1 little=1
Post-processing region 92
+ datawidth=1 little=1
Post-processing region 9A
+ datawidth=2 little=0
+ Byte swapping region
Post-processing region 9B
+ datawidth=1 little=1

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
spanish_biker79 use the unibios instead of the neogeo bios it works better for NeoDS I had no issues making mslug.neo when using unibios.
The UniBios is made for the NeoGeo home console as a replacement BIOS to be able to send roms to your neogeo and use burned CD's, but it works great with neogeo emulators aswell

mickael28

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks, I think I read about a unibios.rom, do I need to remove the original neogeo.zip, compress this unibios and rename it to neogeo.zip as well? or is the process something different?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Green name speaks true :P