Not open for further replies.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I can see the viewpoint of holding onto it to prevent the 3DS from being killed by piracy.

After all, that's what happened with the PSP. It's also a huge part of the reason that Type-0 will most likely never be localized... most of SE's PSP titles were heavily pirated, causing a loss in sales. Why release something that will most likely suffer the same fate?
PSP games never sold well, and if your analogy was correct, the DS wouldn't have been the best selling handheld console in the world. Saying that piracy makes or breaks a system is ludicrous - it's been proved time and time again that pirates are an incredibly small fraction of the overall userbase. Don't believe me? Check Downloads vs. Purchases statistics of Nintendo DS software - sales are expotentially larger than downloads despite the fact that piracy on the DS is idiot-proof. That, and people often download the same ROM several times, so the downloads are greatly overblown in comparison to purchases which are far more accurate.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PSP games never sold well, and if your analogy was correct, the DS wouldn't have been the best selling handheld console in the world. Saying that piracy makes or breaks a system is ludicrous - it's been proved time and time again that pirates are an incredibly small fraction of the overall userbase. Don't believe me? Check Downloads vs. Purchases statistics of Nintendo DS software - sales are expotentially larger than downloads despite the fact that piracy on the DS is idiot-proof. That, and people often download the same ROM several times, so the downloads are greatly overblown in comparison to purchases which are far more accurate.
I think the real issue here is the perception of piracy. Consumers and business folk may share the same points of view and react the same ways.
That alone could result in titles never being developed for the 3DS, if it suddenly got designated as a high risk platform.

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So we have advanced further than the DSi scene. :) With kernel access, you have control of the whole system literally.

I bet they will release a homebrew only loader soon.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
3ds stay unhacked = moar good games

3ds hacked = psp wanabee (dead and almost no support or poor support)

So til 2015-2016 plz 3DS remain unhacked

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Since when did the PSP have poor support? It has a stellar library of games - if you claim it doesn't, you're merely unfamiliar with it.

rondoh70

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What would be nice is if they did the same thing as they did with the wii-u. Make a homebrew channel but restrict the installment of cios.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just pissed myself. This is great. Wait, elitist bastards? wtf. I just want a homebrew because my cyclo DSi quit working with one of those updates.

edit-
on topic plz, this is not about psp or ps2, not about boosting post count.

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully I'm wrong but I still don't see the 3DS hacked and running roms/homebrew/etc. for a long time or even at all. It's hard to believe someone when they say they hacked something with a high demand at all. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong and we get some 3DS roms running on something soon.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
inb4 wellthatescalatedquickly.jpg

Now that they have kernel control, only a matter of time before someone finds a system menu exploit :), I just hope neimod shares his work with other members of the scene.

And he's not holding this to prevent piracy. He's holding this because he's an "elitist bastard".

Sure, he says something about a warez loader, but he didn't say "We aren't sharing this because we don't want piracy on the 3DS" or something similar.
"warez loader" can be replaced by anything. He's saying that we won't get the warez loader, because he's kinda pulling a dick move.

[07:57:34] <@neimod> unfortunately, we are elitist bastards who never share anything, so kiss that [warez loader/custom firmware/awesome homebrew] goodbye

Eh, maybe I'm overanalyzing.

Also, a "piracy free" exploit is nigh impossible. Someone, somewhere, will find a way to enable piracy if homebrew is enabled. This is a given.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Compared to PS2 it was close to dead. Let`s compare DS against Wii..
The DS had hundreds of good games hidden somewhere under the stack of thousands of shovelware and the Wii had... uhm... 20 overall great titles? I'm not even kidding. That said, out of "the big three" it was the best "party" console available, and that's its main use for me.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Although I feel 3DS being hacked this early on does have implications, I don't think they're nearly as severe as a black and white situation like that.

I'm really wondering how much of an impact it could have on the eShop download service, which has many exclusive (and really worthwhile) titles.
I just pissed myself. This is great. Wait, elitist bastards? wtf. I just want a homebrew because my cyclo DSi quit working with one of those updates.

edit-
on topic plz, this is not about psp or ps2, not about boosting post count.
It bears some merit talking about past examples of exploited consoles, and their fates.
The PS2 was hacked and was seriously successful, even with people modding PS2s or using swap-discs to get away with stuff.
The PSP was hacked but I think floundered for other reasons. Arguably the only reason the system continued to sell was because of the fact it was hacked. If the PS Vita was hacked the same way the PSP was, hardware sales might shoot up.

Reactions: BAHIM Z 360

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can everyone please stfu with the "piwacy" bs , fact: wii was most exploited system ever ,you know how many wii's were exploited with hbc ,about 1%
even famicom dd allowed "piwacy"out of the box ,you could go to stores and copy games from kiosk systems,guess what? nintendo survived

Reactions: BAHIM Z 360

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can everyone please stfu with the "piwacy" bs , fact: wii was most exploited system ever ,you know how many wii's were exploited with hbc ,about 1%
even famicom dd allowed "piwacy"out of the box ,you could go to stores and copy games from kiosk systems,guess what? nintendo survived
I'd argue that the psp was the most exploited system ever, it sure as hell was hacked more.

As for the 3ds progress, Its interesting to watch. Hopefully if/when it takes off it doesn't head the same direction as the ps3 scene (which has as of late been doing much better)

zanfire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

iirc the wii is either the second or highest selling console of all time? It made nintendo print their own money and thing was cake to hack...hell the DS which was supported with one of the best libraries that I know of and sold like crack, but was easier to "hack" and get games on than even psp.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile

Nintendo is better than sony at advertisement

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why does anyone ever say/show that they accomplished something?
Because that's just what people do.
And something said on IRC is far from bragging to everyone just to be a dick.

@Punyman: The elitist remark seems more like a sarcastic statement on what people accuse them of being.

Personally I'd rather there not be anything that can lead to piracy made public.
At the very least not yet.
Piracy =/= lost sales...but it does make publishers wary.
Doesn't matter how good a game is/will be if a publisher wimps out due to perceived piracy problems.
There are already so many things that can run homebrew or provide an open-ish platform to develop for, I'm really in no rush for more at the risk of publishers using piracy as an excuse.

Reactions: Skelletonike

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I agree with Zarcon on the "there's other things you can run homebrew on" bit. We just need some supported high-spec android devices with some goddamned controls... that don't bog themselves down (and suck battery life) with cell parts/data.

Compared to PS2 it was close to dead. Let`s compare DS against Wii..
Compared to the PS2, the Gamecube sucked.
Compared to the PS2, the Wii sucks.
Compared to the PS2, the Gameboy Color pisses itself in a nightmare of how it will never be that grand.

Fucking duh the PSP looks bad if you compare it to the glory of the PS2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended