OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.romhacking.net
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I wanted to ask if someone who knows how to work with VWF could help us implement it in Wizardry Empires III for the PSP. If we could get this working in the game, we can proceed with our translation project with no problems. Unfortunately the current font is too wide :(

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I looked at it but couldn't solve it.

Draw type 2: (this one looks OK)
1.jpg

Draw type 1: (couldn't solve)
2.jpg

What it is doing for type 1:
1) Building a texture (actually more than one)
2) Using those built textures to draw the image

I've never been able to solve one like this.

Draw type 2 is drawing many letters at a time, but you can go into the routine where it is building the vertex list and adjust things. Specifically, the positions.

Where you would start is: Set your breakpoint (memory write breakpoint) at the texture address 0x93402b0 to see where the texture is being drawn / created. I did and you get a break at 0x08890618.
I can't figure out what this routine is doing.

You can see from the image above that 4bpp is used for the font image, so there's that.
I found for this one it will not render more than 9 characters, so that will need to be looked at at some point.

It seems like it is rendering a larger image and then scaling it to fit the screen. On screen, the letters are 18 pixels wide but in the program (in the texture) they are 24 pixels wide (0x18). When drawn, the whole image gets scaled to fit the screen. I adjusted the parameter it uses to do this and got this screenshot:
ULJM05218_00009.jpg

Julio Sotomayor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i been plugging away at it, more out of boredome than anything else. it's a very small game, the entire script either of us could probably type it into into the game using only a hex in probably 1 day.

2 problems:
- 18 "letter" limit for sentences, buuut it's not really that bad as the default game itself seems to go out of its way to present as little text as possible. i've never seen a game cut soe many corners. very few npc's in the game, only about 2 or so per dungeon; much, much less talking than in empire 1 and 2, the previous games.

- however there are npc, and as if the game's font drawing (or lack of drawing) funcion shenanigans wans't enough, the dungeon npc's dialog seems to be either compressed or encrypted. i don't know enough to know which! all of the other game text, both in the eboot and umddata bins (the only 2 files to edit in the game), have stuff running from spells, monsters, npc dialog (the ones in the Towns, plus special story scene text, etc); and i can edit it just fine: but the dialog spoken by the npc's inisde the game dungeons is all inside umddata and it's scrambled like this--

Here is picture of turban guy, from game's 1st dungeon, saying stuff at u:
Screenshot%202017-02-27%2015.42.00_zpsj30r3pfu.png

then i do the usual to find something random
Screenshot%202017-02-28%2000.25.46_zpsswhezfjl.png
Screenshot%202017-02-28%2001.14.52_zpsyr9a7jbn.png

and yeah, p. much entirety of the other bin, the one with the items/spells/monsters and also dungeon npcs that's how the conversations look like. the control chars are the same ones used for the dialog for the town npcs; plus it's pretty obvious how that's dialog.

what i don't know is what to do. so even if the game gets an increase in amount of letters per sentence, this is still #1 obstacle.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Proxy sites, not very effective.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I would upload some games, write down the URL and take it to school one day.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a