Need Overlocking Help

AtomSmasherMazionga

GBATemp Resident Atom Smasher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How long has it been since I made a post? it feels like forever. Anyway, I recently managed to convert my HP 15-d089-wm Laptop into a desktop. the battery was shot to shit, so I decided, why the hell not? anyway, I dismantled it, removed the LCD panel (will probably make that into a tablet at some point...maybe.) and connected it to my Acer monitor through VGA. Basically, I have removed the LCD Panel and am using a monitor, for those who don't want to sit and listen to me babble. I'm still using what's let of the laptop as a keyboard/speaker system. I installed a better fan, and I have the Rig VERY well ventilated. I want to overclock my CPU (Intel core i3-3110M) and my GPU (Intel HD Graphics 4000 Mobile) just so they'll be even a fraction better than what they are. could someone tell me how to go about this, what software I need, etc..? I basically need a For N00bZ" tutorial. can someone guide me through this? thanks!

I forgot to mention, I'm in the process of making an external GPU out of an Nvidia Geforce GTX 960.

Last edited by AtomSmasherMazionga, , Reason: Left out important relevant information due to 18 hours of playing Civilization VI nonstop. And lack of sleep.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Intel doesn't allow overclocking their non-k CPUs (by much, anyways, though you can unlock some non-K CPUs for a boost), so even if you could it would offer no real improvement.

Not to mention your BIOS likely doesn't support it, nor will the motherboard.

For the iGPU, same thing. Even if you could overclock it, though, you wouldn't see much performance. Various benchmarks claim, at max OC achievable without crashing, you'd see a whole 2 average FPS difference which is negligible at best.

D

Deleted User

Laptops can't provide the cooling functions to overclock. You could turn it into a old game pc or something. It's a alright pc.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Laptops can't provide the cooling functions to overclock. You could turn it into a old game pc or something. It's a alright pc.
That's not necessarily true. A lot of gaming laptops will allow you to overclock various components, and a lot of non-gaming laptops do as well. For example, I can overclock the dGPU in my Surface Book and add about 130mhz for the core and 300mhz for the memory clock, which is quite a bit for a 2-in-1 device. There are also some laptops that allow you to use Intel's "Extreme tweaking" program thing that will let you overclock the iGPU from Intel CPUs, it's just more common with i5's/i7's. Sometimes you can unlock your BIOS on a laptop to overclock, too, but that's also a bit rare ha.

Reactions: Deleted User

AtomSmasherMazionga

GBATemp Resident Atom Smasher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot to mention, I'm in the process of making an external GPU out of an Nvidia Geforce GTX 960. will add that to the main post. anyway, I don't care how negligible the CPU boost is, so long as I can squeeze maybe say, 0.1 GHZ out of it, which would bring my 2.4 GHZ to a 2.5 GHZ. I'm not really doing this for much of a reason, I just have nothing to do until I get some work in.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Like I said, you can't overclock your CPU/iGPU with that particular mobo/BIOS.

The external GPU yeah sure, should be able to with EVGA's precision software, or with MSI's Afterburner software. Just launch it, set the clock speeds and apply.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs