Need input on stolen ipad?

Par39

The Life Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
If you feel the need to ask if it's okay to take it, then you probably feel taking it is wrong and are hoping for us to tell you it's okay to do it. I'd say try to find a way to contact the owner, if no luck with that, just leave it be.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't you contact Apple, give them the serial number, and ask them who it belongs to?

Don't just keep it, at least TRY to track down the real owner.

Reactions: Satangel

superspudz2000

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
LOL. its an iPad. the most overpriced piece of yuppie-hipster garbage to curse the earth. pretty sure the original owner has money to burn, and probably has one in every room of his mansion, judging by his/her disregard to at least try to track it down.

so yes, nobody is going to miss it. having yet another iPad sitting in a police locker for next 2-3 years, then going at a police auction, is not going to cure cancer, its not going to stop global warming, letting it sit there unused is not making the world a better place.

my advise is take it, but only if you are absolutely sure it wont be missed. then just do some community service to unload some good karma. maybe give $20 to a homeless man.

DAZA

Shaun's Mum
Trophies
XP
if you really want it that badly.. what is your store policy on items left for a certain period of time... ? also as its over a year old it wont be valued as much, so do 2 specific things so you have gone out of your way to try and find out rather than just taking it
1. talk to your boss and say you come across it again, its been so long and they havnt claimed it, would it be possible if you had it.... your boss would say yes or no
2. if your boss says yes at least do the polite thing and try to make contact with the owner... chances are if they forgot it they would have either bought a new one or claimed on the insurance to replace... from that you have made sure you have gone out of the way to do the very best possible and right thing to put it back in the right hands

if it works out in your favour then see it as a return for doing the nice and right thing, going the right way of a return without if backfireing on you and having any police involvement as you can say you spoke to your boss, he cleared it and you made an effort to speak to the owner to return it!!!

end of the day you either become a lucky owner or denied..

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
I am surprised by the morality of some of the people in this thread.

Whether it's going to be missed or not, or if the guy who lost it is filthy rich or not, or any other similar factors, are totally irrelevant!

It's lost, you have no claim whatsoever over it. Trying to justify stealing by saying anything does not change the fact that it's stealing. Yes'm that includes stuff that's not claimed even if it's for 50 years.

It's not yours, period. If the police or other store staff are going to steal it, that's really up to them and their morality.

Don't think just because "everyone is doing it", or "someone will have claim over it, why not me?" For whatever reason there is, makes it ok. Whether you need one badly, or you happen to be less fortunate and can't afford one still doesn't give you any claim over it. Even if you found the damn thing!

Really? Risking getting in trouble with work and maybe get fired? And we are still discussing if it's ok or not?

I honestly had more faith in people in this thread. Some replies are absolutely shocking

superspudz2000

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

obviously the gentlemanly thing to do would have been to immediatly turn it and contact the owner as soon as it was found. not wait 2 years after the fact, and then suddenly decide to have a moral dilema about it. (im sure there are password crackers out there).

its pretty safe to assume that 1. owner has completly forgotten about it by now 2. his boss is kind of a jerk 3. he is a good person for at least waiting a reasonable ammount of time.

and i dont think DAZA advise is very good. say nothing to the boss regardless, if you afraid of losing your job then leave it alone and say nothing. saying your interested in it just make you look bad, and what if another employee takes it anyway, you are the first one he will go to.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The way it works in the UK is you hand it into the police, if its not claimed within 30 days it becomes yours legally. I would do that. However if it belongs to the store it belongs to the store, dont be an idiot and risk your job over an apple product, it isnt worth it

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally like it.

Yeah but if I don't give in and become a sith who'll be there to give the jedi hell? can't leave them unattended to rule the galaxy lol :D

No it doesn't belong to the store, it was stolen and left on are counters and nobody has been back in over a year almost two to claim it! And my boss still hasn't turned it into the police and its 2015 the ipad was stolen and left in are store 2013, he claims he keeps forgetting about it, bull!

Reactions: Arithmatics

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I am surprised by the morality of some of the people in this thread.

Whether it's going to be missed or not, or if the guy who lost it is filthy rich or not, or any other similar factors, are totally irrelevant!

It's lost, you have no claim whatsoever over it. Trying to justify stealing by saying anything does not change the fact that it's stealing. Yes'm that includes stuff that's not claimed even if it's for 50 years.

It's not yours, period. If the police or other store staff are going to steal it, that's really up to them and their morality.

Don't think just because "everyone is doing it", or "someone will have claim over it, why not me?" For whatever reason there is, makes it ok. Whether you need one badly, or you happen to be less fortunate and can't afford one still doesn't give you any claim over it. Even if you found the damn thing!

Really? Risking getting in trouble with work and maybe get fired? And we are still discussing if it's ok or not?

I honestly had more faith in people in this thread. Some replies are absolutely shocking

Well sorry for ruining your perfect world bubble. You should know by now that morality is an extremely subjective thing.
Even if we all had 110% morality, the reason this was even posted was for the sake of discussion so it shouldn't matter that much to you if you'll all for just leaving it there to rot/stay for the next millenia

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I doubt anyone expects it to still exist if it's been a year now! Either you tell your boss to turn it in to the police (maybe you'll get it back after X days, or they keep it in a locker somewhere).
OR you could ask your boss if you could take it. Don't just take it, that's just stupid. But ask, say that you don't think the owner expects it to return and that you want to try to bypass the password or something. Or buy it from your boss for.. i don't know... a couple of bucks.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Well sorry for ruining your perfect world bubble. You should know by now that morality is an extremely subjective thing.
Even if we all had 110% morality, the reason this was even posted was for the sake of discussion so it shouldn't matter that much to you if you'll all for just leaving it there to rot/stay for the next millenia
Justify it however you like. I don't care one bit what you do. It doesn't change the fact that it's wrong.

chrisluna413

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I work at the radioshack and about a year ago a customer left a caring case with an ipad and kindle in it, my boss was supposed to give the ipad and kindel to the cops over a year ago and hasn't, it now sits in our cage with our contract phones im thinking about taking it seeing as how I honestly can't see them firing me over do such as its not even ours and no ones come to claim so my question is what do u guys think about me doing that? Do u think I could get fired or in trouble for it and if so how and why?

Dont be a shitty person by taking it. I suggest that you charge the devices, look for some trace of the owner's info (phone number, address, name) and post said info on facebook or something. If someone claims its theres, ask them to name 3 contacts on the devices or 3 photos or apps.

And if you have easy access to the ipad, do what I said. Fuck your boss and his procrastination.

superspudz2000

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i have to reiterate this since now "Issac" has given bad advise:
DO NOT ASK YOUR BOSS FOR IT!...suppose another employee decides to take it, then the boss now goes looking for it, he is going accuse the one who kept nagging him about it, YOU.

but more than likely nobody, anywhere, gives a damn about it. LOGIC. its not an "honesty trap" no boss is going to spend $300 just to "test" minimum wage slaves at "radio shack", (quotes intentional). and the original owner is long gone (moved, coma, dead, who knows). and finally, the police are busy catching drug dealers and rapists (or hanging out at dunkin donughts), they have better things to do than track down a 2-year old tablet.

Engert

I love me
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
So I work at the radioshack and about a year ago a customer left a caring case with an ipad and kindle in it, my boss was supposed to give the ipad and kindel to the cops over a year ago and hasn't, it now sits in are cage with are contract phones im thinking about taking it seeing as how I honestly can't see them firing me over do such as its not even ares and no ones come to claim so my question is what do u guys think about me doing that? Do u think I could get fired or in trouble for it and if so how and why?

If you do it in an arrogant manner like when the banks or corporations rob the people then it's acceptable and no one is going to stop you.
For example tell your boss "I'm taking this ipad 'cos I need it. You don't like it? Fucking fire me if you want!".
I bet you after that you'll be promoted to manager. Trust me, I know what i'm talking about.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.