Need help with USB Partition splitting

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Bitmazta, Jan 6, 2013.

Jan 6, 2013
    • Newcomer

Bitmazta New Member

Message Count:
    United States

PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Message Count:
    Germany
    I don't really see whats going on
    (do you perhaps already have created the second partition?)

but no, not you do not need to use ntfs (nor any other specific FS) to create multiple partitions
    I suggest you start over and try again

btw: personally I would just do single large fat32
    • Newcomer

Bitmazta New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    In the guide it says you're supposed to click on "New Partition," but since it doesn't let me, and you can't delete an unused partition, I can't.

ayrek New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Well, maybe it's just me, but I think trying to edit a partition in Windows, regardless of the tool being used, is a massive pain. I've never once run into an issue with gparted, and you can boot it from USB. Naturally it does double-duty (it can edit your computer's internal HDD, in case of a problem there) so it's great to have around by itself or in a linux distro.

Either way, without being able to see the current configuration of your disk, its hard to give advice, but here goes.
    So, you started with a single partition, as below
    [---------FAT32--------]
    And what you want instead is
    [--FAT32--][--WBFS--]
    Correct?

So, where you're trying to create a new partition and it won't let you.. is it an "unused partition" or is it "unallocated space"? If its an unused partition, then you're basically done- that just means it isn't formatted, and if you format it to wbfs, you're set. If its unallocated space... Well, then it seems you may have a deeper problem.

Regardless of the above, psyblade is right. Since you have to use a WBFS manager to put games on the partition anyway, it is much simpler to use an FAT32 partition and convert your games to .wbfs format. You can use Wii Backup Manager to do so, it has a fantastic UI, and it can also convert .wbfs back into .iso, should you ever need it to for whatever reason. :)
    • Newcomer

Bitmazta New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    You can run wii games on fat32? Damn.
    Yes, I,m trying to split my p US
    And it's been awhile so I forgot the term, but yeah, unallocated
    Last edited by Bitmazta, Feb 4, 2013

ayrek New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Yeah, using Wii Backup Manager (http://www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk/downloads.html) you can convert your files to .wbfs and load them from fat32. Also, you can load wbfs or iso files from NTFS. Which I recommend. I had a wbfs partition previously, but I moved things around so now I have a single fat32 partition and it makes things far easier to work with. Not to mention windows doesn't tell me to format every time I connect the drive! Huge bonus haha.

The file structure needed for wbfs files depends on the loader, but I think its usually /wbfs/[game title]/[game ID].wbfs or something like that.

PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Message Count:
    Germany
    afaik the prefered naming is "/games/NAME [ID6]/ID6.wbfs"
    but WBM will put it in the right folders anyway

ayrek New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Yeah, you're probably right. I'm not entirely sure. A while back CFG was changed to accept wbfs/[whatever you want]/[gameID].wbfs, so I never paid that much attention to it :P

SPONSORED LINKS