need help on overclocking computer help

wei army

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a i7 4400u 1.8ghz, it can go up to 3.0ghz. If i was to over clock it to at least 2.0ghz-2.4 ghz how much difference will it make and most importantly how bad will it heat up the CPU.

Yes i know it is risk that is one of the reasons why I'm asking.

Specs
4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4500U processor (4M Cache, 1.8 GHz)

ram:16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx2)

hard drive: 1TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

video card: Intel® HD Graphics 4400 (I KNOW NOT A VERY STRONG GRAPHICS CARD)

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That's a notebook CPU. You can't overclock notebook CPU. Assuming BIOS allows you to do so (which 98% of notebook don't), CPU will overheat. Notebook cooling system is designed to be a bare minimum.

This is of course also assuming the multiplier is unlocked, which is NOT. The only way to overclock is BCLK but that'll lead to SATA corruption.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
tell you the truth if you post on how to over-clock on a forum and cant find the information yourself than... i recommend that you don't over-clock because the chance of damaging your CPU is high.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure your i7 is able to get to 3GHz via Intel's Turbo Boost, meaning it'll adjust it's clock speed when under a heavy workload. If you're not sure if it's enabled, check in your BIOs and there should be an option for it (it's usually enabled by default, though).
It adjusts clock speed based on threads, not heavy workload.

It'll hit 3.0 GHz for single thread, but stick around 1.8 to 2.0 GHz on 4 threads workload.

Dear Leader

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
tell you the truth if you post on how to over-clock on a forum and cant find the information yourself than... i recommend that you don't over-clock because the chance of damaging your CPU is high.

I overclock AMD Phenom II from 3 GHz to 4 GHz stable and no damage to CPU for over a year. As long as you use a strong cooler and monitor CPU temps careful, you be fine.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I overclock AMD Phenom II from 3 GHz to 4 GHz stable and no damage to CPU for over a year. As long as you use a strong cooler and monitor CPU temps careful, you be fine.
As long as you put in the right settings, you'll be fine. The rule of thumb is that if you can't find the information yourself, you won't have the skill to find the right settings for a safe overclock.

And as mentioned, overclocking a laptop is very different to overclocking a desktop due to the limited (often inadequate) nature of a laptops cooling system.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM