Need Help/ Gimp 2.8 on Windows

apollos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to set up gimp on my windows machine because ubuntu doesn't have pen sensitivity support for my graphics tablet, only the setup hangs whenever it tries loading fonts. I would post on a linux, gnu, or gimp forum but every one I checked already has this thread + doesn't resolve the problem. Also, I want to use gimp for a specific thing (x), so I was wondering if anyone had any alternatives perhaps?

System info
  • OS Name - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
  • Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2370M CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
  • Installed Physical Memory - 4.00 GB
  • Available Physical Memory - 1.63 GB

What I've already tried:
  • Clearing the cache from <username>/AppData/Local/fontconfig/Cache
  • Renaming .gimp-2.8 to .gimp-2.8-old
  • Restoring default font settings to remove any fonts that didn't come with the computer.
  • Closing all background programs so they're not competing for resources.
apjvpi.png

Last edited by apollos,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you have just installed it or installed a bunch more fonts. If you are the kind of person that owns a graphics tablet* I imagine you have spent more than a little while on http://www.fontsquirrel.com/ and assembled a collection to behold. It then takes ages the first time you boot gimp up, and some times after that if you change a lot (so if you got it booting and then added more it will have to scan again). Truly long (for a first boot then I have seen it worry the 10 minute mark) and it will look like it hanged -- it did it on a nice i7 with a fancy SSD drive to me the other day. Most of the time I leave it and as I have probably just installed a bunch of programs ( https://ninite.com/ is good stuff) so I will probably be fiddling with inkscape while it gets on with it.

Not sure what I have for indexed stuff these days. I am not sure if paint.net will do it and I have no idea what goes with my other alternative in the free image editing world ( http://photofiltre.free.fr/download_en.htm ).

*I am surprised ubuntu did not do well for your tablet. My slightly older install of Linux mint does great for all the drawing tablets I have tried on it. GIMP does have its own capabilities when it comes to determining what a graphics tablet does and if you plugged it in after loading it then it can get touchy about it (I assume you also selected the option to do so in the dynamics).

Reactions: apollos

apollos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've only had ubuntu for a short amount of time so I haven't really played around with it + I'd like to keep all my rom hacking stuff in one place because some stuff only runs on windows. i guess i could do a virtualbox ? but that seems kinda extra because i already have windows on my machine. i'm not a graphic designer so i actually don't use any custom fonts, plus I reset my font options to the default so there wasn't any corrupt fonts. I thought if I just let it cycle through its bullshit eventually it will pull through, but when I did it hung so hard windows explorer crashed. I also have an idea of how it should load, because when ran its setup on ubuntu it cycled through the fonts within a matter of seconds.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.