+5 internets to psyfira for avatar.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hi, well with my short income of money (yay school) and the decressing time i can dedicate to gaming (yay becoming an adult) well... I came to the conclusion that asking a modchip for christmas would be a wise choice, well at least asking money to buy it. But the problem is that I didn't really follow the scene, and I don't know which one is doing fine, and which one fail.

I read some reviews, and the Wiikey seems quite superior, upgradable, seems easy to instal, doesn't cost a lot and seems to run all the games.

And I want to know some tips to be sure to don't brick my Wii.

MohammadKoush

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well in short get both, the wiikey and cyclowiz, and have some one install it for you with a 9 db connection, i will provide you with the info you will need, and this way you will have the advantage of both chips like i do.

the consept:
---------------

?????     ???????Cyclowiz??????
|  Wii |  ---?
?????     ???????Wiikey????????

the goods:
-----------
-having more than one solution for mods
?--if one fail the other will be ready to replace it
-when mods unpluged your wii will be unmoded, future proof for games that might brick your wii
-allow to add mods without opening your wii
-make you look as a bad ass hacker ...... was that a bad thing or a good thing hmmmmm
unsure.gif

the bads:
-----------

- more work to do
- cost more
- higher risk % of bricking your wii if unprofational install
- need to mod the case to install a db9 fema
le

this to make the inside of your wii ready for external setup:
go here
this to make the cyclowiz works from the out side of the wii
go here
and this is a pic for the commen connection point for other setup
go here

d3ltr33

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If he needs to ask for a modchip for christmas because he can't afford it... then he's not ready for all that. Interesting info tho...

DarkRamza: Just buy either a wiiKey or cyclowiz. Both are just as good. cyclowiz appear to have a more active development team tho.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
why on earth would you get both?! that's rubbish! They both do exactly the same thing, they both get updated, no difference. Just make sure you don't get a wiikey clone, get a proper one or a cyclowiz, doesn't matter.
And don't waste money on getting both ><

The "don't have to open your wii later to add mods" isn't correct if the way chips work changes, needing different solder points, which would be the only real reason to get another one.

zalman

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Since CycloWiz posted the Wii Modchip Comparison Chart do you think it would be worth it waiting for Team Cyclops to recover from the Nintendo raids and their chips to come back in stock or is the WiiKey good enough since the latest update?

Is there something in the design of the WiiKey (something about the RAM?) that leaves it vulnerable to more Super Mario Galaxy modchip checks or is it fixed completely now? Or are we going to see constant anti-modchip games and constant WiiKey updates?

In short, which is better? Or are they equal?

evadwolrab

Trophies
XP
Country
It looks like WiiKey now works fine with SMG according to this thread.

Does that mean that as we speak, WiiKey is better? Or does the CycloWiz thing work fine with SMG too?

All very confusing...
cry.gif

Akoji

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah i don't think i will take the 2 modchip method, I don't care if i have to wait for some updates sometimes.

And yeah it quite confusing as evadwolarb said... And yeah the only thing I really want to play on it is Zack and Wiki, SMG and Metroid Prime 3.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Both Cyclowiz and Wiikey work with SMG at the moment. As does a few of the open source mods and Wiinja Deluxe.

For my money, if I were to get one of the big three commercial chips I'd do a Wiinja deluxe and get it over with.

Wiikey's original coder quit and someone else has taken over the original Wiikey (this is the guy that coded the D2CKey I belive). He is working on stabilizing the code for SMG, which right now is just a beta release. Cyclowiz released a beta firmware update the day that SMG hit the scene and that beta firmware works with SMG as well. Wiinja released a patch to fix the SMG issue, and in general I've found the Wiinja team to be a little more on top of things and a more stable team. The deluxe also has better gamecube stability than the other two chips, especially after these latest firmware updates.

Personally I use the open source mods, with an external socket that lets me switch them out when I need to. I just used hot glue to attach the socket to the back of my Wii, so it actually will come off quite cleanly if I need to totally remove the mod in the future. You can see my setup here:
http://psx-scene.com/forums/439491-post67.html
It's modular, so it works with all the chips that are compatible with the D2B chipset, as long as I make the appropriate adapter for it, but it guarantees that I won't have to open my Wii again. It was also a very cheap job to do.

Hope that helps at least a little bit.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
wiikey is fine. the coder quit, d2ckey team took over, and released the update so much faster than the old guy. So no loss there.
Cyclowiz and Wiikey functionality is _identical_, does not matter at all which you buy.

zalman

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Both Cyclowiz and Wiikey work with SMG at the moment. As does a few of the open source mods and Wiinja Deluxe.

For my money, if I were to get one of the big three commercial chips I'd do a Wiinja deluxe and get it over with.

Why, what does Wiinja deluxe offer over the Cyclowiz and Wiikey?

wiikey is fine. the coder quit, d2ckey team took over, and released the update so much faster than the old guy. So no loss there.
Cyclowiz and Wiikey functionality is _identical_, does not matter at all which you buy.
Thank you for clearing that up!

Akoji

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, I think i will go with Cyclowiz, it look simple to use, and seems more updated than the Wiikey, But it seems more complicated to instal, but I will ask someone to do it for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eGAHfC5P-Y