Homebrew Need a Christmas Miracle! Recommended Procedure and Loader to save wii games to Hard Drive

caliskier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like a lot of folks are able to get the games saved on their hard drive. I suck. I have USB Loader 3.0 and I have WBFS Manager 3.0. I can get games to slowly slowly load onto a 4GB Flash drive and play. I can't get it to work on anything larger, 16GB or my 64 GB stick, just freezes up no matter how I format (NTFS, FAT32,exFAT, WBFS). All I am doing is sticking a blank (formated) stick in my usb slot in the back of the wii and trying to load games, no folders, no nothing. Just format and go.

Maybe I am doing something completely wrong from the beginning, or maybe I am using the completely wrong tools to do this. What are you guys using and how do you get from formatting of the drive to playing the game from the hard drive?

Thanks in advanced. Trying to get a Christmas Miracle going here

caliskier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, thanks for the quick response, I followed this guy to get USB Loader GX 3.0 on my machine. . So I have homebrew and I have USB Loader GX 3.0 and it runs fine, sees the USB stick, just won't record to it

Wife is tell me I have to go to the store and is pushing me out the door... is modmii a rebuilding of homebrew and usb loader gx on my machine or something to save files onto. Thanks, sorry gota split. Been messing with this since 21st and wife is getting tired of it.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wow, thanks for the quick response, I followed this guy to get USB Loader GX 3.0 on my machine. . So I have homebrew and I have USB Loader GX 3.0 and it runs fine, sees the USB stick, just won't record to it

Wife is tell me I have to go to the store and is pushing me out the door... is modmii a rebuilding of homebrew and usb loader gx on my machine or something to save files onto. Thanks, sorry gota split. Been messing with this since 21st and wife is getting tired of it.

Modmii is DEAD simple, Follow that to be on the save side. Everything will be up to date afterwards. should take about half an hour.
It is the ONLY way to go when you want to softmod your Wii the fastest and safest route.
When you want to use usbloader GX, you can offcourse just put it on our SD card andinstall the official usb loader gx channel.
Make sure you get the las beta version of usb loader gx, NOT 3.0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zki0wv8thvuhbk3/ModMii6.3.1.zip?dl=0

caliskier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I did this... ran modmii it sticks the files on my SD and USB stick for the wii. I got everything up and running and then i get to step 6, setting up the USB loader. Back in the modmii step it copies 3 folders to my USB stick, but then in step 6.1 it says format to fat32 (it was exfat). So I removed the folders from the usb stick, formated to fat32 then put them back on. The folders are "aps" "USB Loader" and "WBFS". Step 6.2 says to do this

"Copy Files to the Hard Drive Copy everything inside the E: folder to the root of your FAT32 hard-drive\partition."

What is it talking about? There are already folders there, the three mentioned above. So, I make no changes, and I move on to 6.3, (maybe this is my problem)

"Manage Wii backups using Wii Backup Manager (optional)

"You can use this program to manage/transfer your electronic backups of Wii Games."

It is very simple to use, but a detailed tutorial on using Wii Backup Manager can be found here:
www.sites.google.com/site/completesg/backup-launchers/iso/wbfs-managers/wii-backup-manager

Note:
Original Wii Discs cannot be read/copied using a computer (unless you have one of the rare LG Drives that is capable of doing so).

To copy original Wii Disc's, insert the disc into your Wii and Launch Configurable USB-Loader, and hit the plus sign "+". "

I do not have any electronic backups of wii games to manage so I can't do that. Then I try to copy using Configurable USB-Loader, it says copying, but just hangs... "installing game, please wait..." nothing else, does not seam disk is spinning.

What hoop am i not jumping through?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
  1. Throw WBFS Manager out of the window, go downstairs, pour gasoline on the carcass, light it up, after 15 minutes cover with sand and forget about it
  2. Download and install Wii Backup Manager and never switch to anything else
  3. Format your external HDD to FAT32, make triple sure that the Volume is set to *Primary*
  4. Perform and post a SysCheck if you want to update individual cIOSes/IOSes *or* use ModMii to perform a complete update
Post below if you need any of the above points explained

caliskier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, before I did not have an active partition, only a primary one, so that is a difference.

Also I should point out that the drive I am using is a sandisk 64GB flash drive and it is USB 3.0.

I then used this software recommended by the modmii folks and got it to be FAT32 cluster size 32
FAT32 Program.PNG

I check disk manager and see it is indeed fat32 and active primary

Drive Status.PNG

I add the folders back into the drive that were recommended by modmii process (folders in my drive below)...
Folders in drive.PNG

Try it in the wii, turn on CFG USB Loader, hit the +, select A to continue... It says "installing game, please wait..." I do not hear the disk spinning, i cannot see the cursor or get off the screen without doing a hard power off. Pretty much the same thing I was getting before.

caliskier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE:
Tested this same exact process with the 4GB no name flash drive I have. Works fine, easy peasy
Tested this same exact process with a 16GB png flash drive I have. Starts, works for 2 seconds and freezes
And of course the original does not even start, just freezes.

Here is my system check if it helps anyone...

SysCheck v2.3.0 HacksDen Edition by JoostinOnline
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v513)
Priiloader installed
Drive date: 05.26.200605
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58

Hollywood v0x11
Console ID: 68271751
Console Type: Wii
Shop Channel Country: United States (49)
Boot2 v4
Found 103 titles.
Found 49 IOS on this console. 4 of them are stub.

IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug
IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug
IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS40 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug
IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS62 (rev 6430): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug
IOS80 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug
IOS202[60] (rev 65535
IOS222[38] (rev 4
IOS223[38+37] (rev 4
IOS224[57] (rev 65535
IOS236[36] (rev 65535
IOS249[56] (rev 21008
IOS250[57] (rev 21008
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10

Report generated on 12/27/2014.

And thank you guys for all the help thus far...

I am curious, if my system check is good, then I wonder if it is just the drive i am using. Is anyone doing this with a flash drive bigger than 4GB? Is that my problem, does it need to be a spinning disk drive? Does it need to be USB 2.0 and not 3.0?

caliskier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Success - it was the the flash drives. Guess they do not work with this set up. I got a 1TB hard drive and that worked. Still help needed tough. I have researched, have not found anything really clear. Want to make this HD play the wii games I own and play the game cube games that I own from the same hard drive. I might eventually make it so I can play the NES, SNES and N64 games I own so would want know how to format the hard drive for future stuff like that.

Also which is best CFG USB Loader or USB Loader GX?

caliskier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Success - it was the the flash drives. Guess they do not work with this set up. I got a 1TB hard drive and that worked. Still help needed tough. I have researched, have not found anything really clear. Want to make this HD play the wii games I own and play the game cube games that I own from the same hard drive. I might eventually make it so I can play the NES, SNES and N64 games I own so would want know how to format the hard drive for future stuff like that.

Also which is best CFG USB Loader or USB Loader GX?

caliskier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use FAT32, should be no problem with the 1TB drive. Then you can install anything you want on it.

Ok, thanks, i tried using the wii and CFG loader to copy a gamecube game to the hard drive and it said "not a wii disk." How is that accomplished?

Also I keep seeing posts that talk about partitions and how they need to do a special partition for GameCube games. Is that just old and OBE? I might want to one day do some roms for other systems I own and don't want to start over. Can all this be piled into one big fat32?

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use FAT32 32k or smaller cluster for your HDD. Some formatting tools do not do this correctly. Use the one that comes with modmii and you should be ok. That way you don't run in to problems with nand emulation (wiiware/vc/dlc/and saves on HD). Also I recommend using Panasonic SD formatter only for formating your SD. It is the only one apparently that adheres to the true standard format.

Wiibackupmanager is a much better option than wbfs. Everything will go in to the /games/folder GC and Wii iso.

wiibackup manager
http://www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk/

Panasonic SD Tool
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P7mAPWYcgE