Homebrew NDS PC emulation on high end machines results...

timbojill

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NDS PC emulation on high end machines results.. Just wondering if anyone tried running any of these emulators and roms on any high end gaming machines. The ones with 2 gb memory, enhanced graphics card, etc. If so what were the results. Just wanted to know if system limitations is what is causing NDS emulation to progess so slowly.

Thorisoka

Trophies
Website
www.nintendojofr.com
XP
Country
France
given the power of the DS, I'm not sure the problem is about emulating PCs, but the not very advanced codes
I think other consoles took time to be emulated too, but i can't tell much about that since DS emulators are the first ones I actually see growing *_*

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
Well as most games don't work I could only kinda run SM64DS while Super Princess Peach was playable. SPP ran at around 30 something fps, so it's twice as slow as it would run on the DS. Haven't been able to try anything else as most the ROMs I've tested out don't work or I can't proceed to play them because of some sort of error that comes up in the game itself.

EDIT: This was probable on DesMuMe version 3.4, I haven't checked the newer ones yet.

ohoni

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The GB and GBA ones were developed faster I think, but they were also much less complex systems, (no 3d, no stylus, one screen, etc.), and I seem top remember that some of the specs or something were leaked in such a way that it made emulation easier.

I do hope they figure this thing out sometimes soon, before Nintendo releases the Quadscreen at least.

leetdood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
As far as I know, GBA had a working emulator out BEFORE the system was actually out, thanks to a incredibly good programmer. At least, that's what a friend told me.. can't remember exactly.

RyuKakashi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
there is a considerable speed difference between ideas and NeeDS (and probably the one that needs is built off of but i never tried)

I'm on 2ghz 64 bit on x64 windows with 4gb of DDR400 ram and a 6800GT 256mb card.

Although more CPU might help it, it relaly does depend on the code for your frame rate and performance.

But needs i get around 80FPS or so and it's nice and smooth. if they would only fix the graphical display on the touch screen, it would be a perfect emulator for many commercial games.

timbojill

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was really hoping that more people that read these board had high-end gaming machines I heard a rumor that those high-end machines run nds emullators well.

MiloFoxburr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As far as I know, GBA had a working emulator out BEFORE the system was actually out, thanks to a incredibly good programmer. At least, that's what a friend told me.. can't remember exactly.

Yeah that was VBA wasnt it? It ran the e3 yoshi demo
happy.gif

RyuKakashi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was really hoping that more people that read these board had high-end gaming machines I heard a rumor that those high-end machines run nds emullators well.
Well i guess i could say they run well but DS emulation is still too early. Even if the FPS is full speed to DS, there's graphical problems for everyone.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Off topic but to answer that guys question/comment up there.

YES...GBA was emulated prior to the hardware release in the states. The GBC was as well, and in BOTH cases it was that guy Marat Fayzullin that did it, coder of iNES, VGB, ColEM, and some other crud across multiple platforms... the pay emulator guy for $35 if you own Windows (as he feels all windows users as subintelligent and thieves which HE said in his own docs and probably still is in there.) :|

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was and wasn't. Basically the guy knew the basic architecture of the ARM chip within the GBA and also knew how to code up that 8mhz 8bit cpu as well. It ran demos and things but nothing commercial ahead of time. I know I probably shouldn't be admitting this but I had helped out Forgotten back then. He was kind of stuck and I err happened to come across the HTML formatted copy of the GBA technical guidelines/programming book that comes off that 'wario' site noa has. About 2 weeks later I recall mario and fzero showing signs of life. So, with that known...vba technically isn't a 'legal' emulator considering what it used to get it running.
wink.gif

Kagaden

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was and wasn't. Basically the guy knew the basic architecture of the ARM chip within the GBA and also knew how to code up that 8mhz 8bit cpu as well. It ran demos and things but nothing commercial ahead of time. I know I probably shouldn't be admitting this but I had helped out Forgotten back then. He was kind of stuck and I err happened to come across the HTML formatted copy of the GBA technical guidelines/programming book that comes off that 'wario' site noa has. About 2 weeks later I recall mario and fzero showing signs of life. So, with that known...vba technically isn't a 'legal' emulator considering what it used to get it running.
wink.gif

I won't ask who you are but I will ask if you got one of those for NDS?
wink.gif
I think it's what the community needs to bolster the progress of NES/Snes/and Genesis emulation on NDS. Saves development time and cost 10fold the sooner we get a good debug nds emu out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr