nds-bootstrap loader: Run commercial NDS backups from an SD Card

nds-bootstrap:

Thanks to the work of ahezard, Gericom, Apache, Robz8, _catcatcat, and shutterbug2000 and other contributors, we can now load NDS games from the SD card, without any flashcard/SLOT-1 card.

Don't expect high compatibility, but do expect many, many updates.

:arrow: Compatibility listing:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LRTkXOUXraTMjg1eedz_f7b5jiuyMv2x6e_jY_nyHSc/edit#gid=0

:arrow: The official Discord server for nds-bootstrap:
https://discordapp.com/invite/7bxTQfZ

:arrow: The thread for the recommended loader (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/twloader-ctr-mode-nds-app.448375/

:arrow: SRLoader for softmodded DSis (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/srloader-nds-app-for-dsi.472200/

:arrow: If you're more of a forwarder person:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-forwarder-cias-for-your-home-menu.426174/

:arrow: Link to the releases page:
https://github.com/ahezard/nds-bootstrap/releases

:arrow: Anti-Piracy patch list by Robz8
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ap-patch-preservation.477536/

Also, thank you to our testers:
Historian
JoshuaDoes
thejsa
Alerdy
PokeAcer

Also, a video thanks to Robz8:

And another thanks to Alerdy:

Last edited by shutterbug2000,

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question. If you have a flashcart, do all of the games run? Or are they limited to the bootstrap compatibility list? Was thinking of getting one. Don't know which one to order for new 3ds xl
think of the flashcard as "Extra Rom space" more or less under twloader+Bootstrap.

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it's not really worth buying? I have a 64 GB SD Card with lots of space
it's Still worth buying, theres alot of features in flashcarts not yet offered by bootstrap, we may never know if there will be full compatibility, or real time cheats or Real time saving. the only thing Bootstrap has over flashcarts atm outside the obvious (that some cheaper just as good cards being FW Blocked and some not,(in a pure non CFW basis)) is bootstrap Supports IR Communication, something verrrrry few flashcards supported. (but only w/ a donor game card that uses such features. it cant use the 3DS's built in IR Hardware)

so if you want to be able to play any of teh full DS's library of games on the go, Flashcards are the way to go For now. (or a Decent spec'd Smartphone with Drastic emulator) if you dont really want to buy a flashcard, then just sit n wait for bootstrap to be perfected.

seseiSeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I started playing Sonic Rush since it is running very well now, but suddenly in Zone 2 Act 2 this happened:
Insert video with Sonic stuck in mid air, a flickering background, but the music is still playing, even when closing the 3DS.
I have never seen anything like that before. Does anyone know what happened there?
I'm using the latest version of nds-bootstrap (v0.6.0 (Rev 2)) and a US Sonic Rush rom. I set MKDS as the donor rom and set it to force use.

Last edited by seseiSeki,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I started playing Sonic Rush since it is running very well now, but suddenly in Zone 2 Act 2 this happened:

I have never seen anything like that before. Does anyone know what happened there?
I'm using the latest version of nds-bootstrap (v0.6.0 (Rev 2)) and a US Sonic Rush rom. I set MKDS as the donor rom and set it to force use.

That issue is caused by the use of TWL clock speed for Sonic Rush.
It also happens outside of nds-bootstrap.
This is the classical ransomware. You have to send 500 bucks to Robz8 to recover your device. :D
lol

Last edited by RocketRobz,

AutumnWolf

JRPG enjoyer, Xenoblade, YS and DQ connoisseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica

This also happened to me once, I just restarted the game

lego6245

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I was directed here to report compatibility I've discovered for retail dumps that were not listed on the spreadsheet.

Pokemon Pearl (USA) [NTR-APAE-USA] - Dumped from Retail Cart using Godmode9 - Blue compatibility (loading lags, some stuttering when moving about in the overworld). Used donor rom for saves.

Lostmagic (USA) [NTR-AM9E-USA] - Dumped from Retail Cart using Godmode9 - Green compatability. Everything seems to be working properly, overworld and battle screen. Used donor rom for saves.

Is there a better/more centralized place to do this type of reporting? If not Github Issues, then where?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I was directed here to report compatibility I've discovered for retail dumps that were not listed on the spreadsheet.

Pokemon Pearl (USA) [NTR-APAE-USA] - Dumped from Retail Cart using Godmode9 - Blue compatibility (loading lags, some stuttering when moving about in the overworld). Used donor rom for saves.

Lostmagic (USA) [NTR-AM9E-USA] - Dumped from Retail Cart using Godmode9 - Green compatability. Everything seems to be working properly, overworld and battle screen. Used donor rom for saves.

Is there a better/more centralized place to do this type of reporting? If not Github Issues, then where?
This compatibility list.

Garblant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a build of the current version of bootstrap that doesn't have the button command in it? I was playing Super Mario 64 DS multiplayer with a friend & we accidentally entered that command several times while trying to collect stars in Jolly Rodger Bay...

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a build of the current version of bootstrap that doesn't have the button command in it? I was playing Super Mario 64 DS multiplayer with a friend & we accidentally entered that command several times while trying to collect stars in Jolly Rodger Bay...
There is no build that doesn't have it yet.
To have it as an option requires a TWLoader update, which isn't released yet.

Also, I don't see how you can accidentally enter the button combo, since I don't remember having to press L+R+other buttons in SM64DS.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

Garblant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no build that doesn't have it yet.
To have it as an option requires a TWLoader update, which isn't released yet.

Also, I don't see how you can accidentally enter the button combo, since I don't remember having to press L+R+other buttons in SM64DS.
In the rom hack "SM64DS Multiplayer" L and R are used in many different ways for each player. However, the problem occurs when in levels that you have to swim through because L+Down (P1) and R+B (P2) are used to swim downwards for each player.

With that background info in mind, it can be very easy to accidentally input the command, if you're on a course that focuses on water.

Last edited by Garblant, , Reason: a letter
Reactions: cearp

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the rom hack "SM64DS Multiplayer" L and R are used in many different ways for each player. However, the problem occurs when in levels that you have to swim through because L+Down (P1) and R+B (P2) are used to swim downwards for each player.

With that background info in mind, it can be very easy to accidentally input the command, if you're on a course that focuses on water.
Ah, okay. I'll make it an option, then.

Last edited by RocketRobz, , Reason: quoted post has been edited
Reactions: cearp and Garblant

Garblant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Garblant I now have pushed a new unofficial bootstrap build that has the button combo as an option.
In "nds-bootstrap.ini", add "SOFT_RESET = 0".
Ok, checking it now

EDIT: Now it's possible to swim without triggering any secret button combos in the romhack! Thanks for your consideration!

Last edited by Garblant,
Reactions: RocketRobz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself