Gaming NBA 2k18 storage problem explained

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since it was announced that the retail version of nba 2k18 would need an sd card and internet connection to fully enjoy the game' content, there has been a bit of confusion and speculation of how much storage would be required.

Nintendo's support site has explained that the initial download would be 6,8gb of data, followed for a 16,1gb day one update. But also, you will need an extra 5gb of internal storage for save files per account. The total file size of the game is about 22,9gb.

Hopefully this could help people about this issue.

Source

As for me? Guess i was right, they seems to be using a 16gb cartridge, and almost half of the game needs to be downloaded... following by a day one update... followed by... 5GB for save files PER ACCOUNT? Fuck this game, seriously.

D

Deleted-355425

It says on the eshop that it requires a 32gb or larger micro sd card, big game lol take a look, prices are stupid for the gold version lololol.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably a way to prevent more piracy, if half the game is on the server required for the full game then piracy of dumping carts only gets half the game. While is bad that people who don't have wifi connections to download updates can't enjoy the full game, they can download updates from other systems that do have updates which can make up for it, only if one can manage to find someone with updates.

I assume that was the intention. Next move to make, GBATEMP Hacking community. The deal would be to allow receiving updates from the server of a pirated game if one is required for said game to become whole and then have a way to do it without causing too much suspicion. Probably a response to the 3.0 exploit discovered. Who knows, just putting out ideas. Least you can update without internet connections. Or go to free hotspots like mcdonalds or starbucks :P

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Probably a way to prevent more piracy, if half the game is on the server required for the full game then piracy of dumping carts only gets half the game. While is bad that people who don't have wifi connections to download updates can't enjoy the full game, they can download updates from other systems that do have updates which can make up for it, only if one can manage to find someone with updates.

I assume that was the intention. Next move to make, GBATEMP Hacking community. The deal would be to allow receiving updates from the server of a pirated game if one is required for said game to become whole and then have a way to do it without causing too much suspicion. Probably a response to the 3.0 exploit discovered. Who knows, just putting out ideas. Least you can update without internet connections. Or go to free hotspots like mcdonalds or starbucks :P
I'm pretty sure the reason was EA being cheap and using the smallest cartridge possible. IF we ever get the Switch hacked then downloaded content should not be any more difficult.

rg

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaming is going into a direction that i don't like... Games are no longer fully enjoyable without spending huge amounts of money or pirating...

It is not cool.... Maybe it's me but i really don't like this

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
This game is published by 2K. Sorry but you have to wait for Fifa before you can start bitching about EA.
Oh my bad. Didn't realize NBA is the one sport EA didn't have a monopoly on making games for. Doesn't seem like it makes much difference here though, they're taking a page straight out of the EA playbook.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gaming is going into a direction that i don't like... Games are no longer fully enjoyable without spending huge amounts of money or pirating...

It is not cool.... Maybe it's me but i really don't like this
It already has gone in the direction people don't like. Didn't tony hawk 5 release with a update required to play the game cause most of the data wasn't on the disc? Street fighter V released with so much underwhelming content at $60 instead of just waiting more time for it. There is always gonna be someone disappointed with the way games are and that won't change, but let's hope they do the best they can.

rg

Trophies
XP
Country
It already has gone in the direction people don't like. Didn't tony hawk 5 release with a update required to play the game cause most of the data wasn't on the disc? Street fighter V released with so much underwhelming content at $60 instead of just waiting more time for it. There is always gonna be someone disappointed with the way games are and that won't change, but let's hope they do the best they can.[/QUOT

Yes but now it's out of control, monetizing on games has become ridiculous..

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes but now it's out of control, monetizing on games has become ridiculous..
Well i said not everyone is gonna like it. People now and days see gaming as a market for making easy money than trying to entertain players and give wide variety of abundance for people to enjoy. Release a half finished game, and the rest requires updates, because is possible. If dlc and updates like it does now didn't exist, games like street fighter 5, killer instinct, or tony hawk 5 would never released when it did, or at all. It would either waited so long before something is ready to sell or even worst.

No one wants to buy unfinished game for $60 only to know that the game withheld content to get it out instores earlier than it should have been, follow by constant updates and 3 years long dlc that you still have to pay for. Is basically a paywall to completing a complete game (even though some dlc is rather useless like DOA5 many costumes for the past 5 years.) But i guess is just opinions at this point.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Plus that 5gb of game save data is suspicious. I wonder if that was a way to get around Nintendo's file size requirements, and if it violates tos

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Plus that 5gb of game save data is suspicious. I wonder if that was a way to get around Nintendo's file size requirements, and if it violates tos
yeah ts very very wierd how bad is the saving that it requires 5gb? i never seen a save file so large when games that save entire seasons of madden and footbal and whatever never reached 5gb save file srs.

smilodon

Trophies
XP
Country
France
So your telling me that a save file for a basketball game is the same size as mario odyssey, 22 time the size of ocarina of time and 2250 the size of doom?

This is a weird timeline...

ItsTheWolf

Splatoon 2 Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
It's unbelievable that they allow the friggin' 5GB save file.
What. In. The. Absolute. F***. Did they put in there? 4K screenshots and unplayable videos of the player's glorious moments?
And why in all the frag do you even allow this Nintendo?

...Not that I'm gonna buy this game anyway but still... if this becomes a trend, 2K need to die.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeaZWBrG__s