Homebrew nandExtract (Wii Entry -- PC Software)

giantpune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a program I call "nandBinExtract". It is a cross-platform PC program to extract some or all files from a nand.bin, as well as examine its contents.

screenshot running in ubuntu linux
nandwindow2.png

-features-
extract single files full directories
multi-threaded and uber fast
persistent settings
beautiful GUI - laid out like bootmii
view file/folder attributes
fixes bugs found in other nand extractors ( showmiiwads & Wii NAND Extractor )
show useful info about nand usage including free space, boot 1 & 2, reserved/free/bad blocks, and even see on what blocks a specific file resides

-basic usage-
1) start the program and select file->open nand. select a nand.bin.
2) click any file to see its usage
3) right click any file/folder and select extract. you will be prompted to select the directory to extract the file(s) into
4) click info->boot2 to see information about boot 1 & 2
5) vote for me to win the homebrew bounty

windows r70 download... http://www.multiupload.com/PVOQ26L0TY
windows package r106 http://www.multiupload.com/3G7I6CH3UX

linux and mac can build it from source code... http://code.google.com/p/wiiqt/

giantpune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
Beautiful, thanks pune. I dont know if such a tool exists but is it possible to convert a decrypted backup back to a bootmii nand.bin backup?

the issue with this is that nand dumpers do not save file attributes. the nand FS in not like windows. there are users and user ID and permissions that are simply thrown out the window on extraction. you can take a decent guess at these attributes and try to assemble a nand.bin. but it will never be 100% correct. ( this is the same with savemanager & derivative works. they write files back to the wii with attributes that may or may not be what the file originally had. )

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@giantprune I should have rephrased that, what I meant was "can i use this to extract the hbc and then install it on my emulated nand? If so how?

giantpune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can use this to extract any files that are stored in the encrypted portion of NAND. im not going to explain how to know which files you need. but when you do find them, just navigate to HBC's folder in this program, right click it and select somewhere you want to extract its contents to.

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@giantprune I found the HBC folder or what i believe it is because of looking @ the title ID in both ATD & Blue Dump. However it after reading that the emulated nand & hbc v1.08 are both non-compatible with each other, or has this changed at some point?

Also in reference to my previous question, hbc v1.08 cannot be made into a wad file, that was also my concern when extracting could i just copy the title/010001/a4f????? folder into the directory of my emulated nand. the folder structure is the not right I know but close enough to what i found.

giantpune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i didnt like the automatic renaming of files that other extractors do. but i see where it can be useful. so, i have committed a change to SVN that adds an option in the info menu to replace ':' with '-'. this should be sufficient.

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
kylster said:
@giantprune I should have rephrased that, what I meant was "can i use this to extract the hbc and then install it on my emulated nand? If so how?

Try using Bluedump via HBC, it extracts to a WAD and then simply install on emu NAND
smile.gif

ChokeD

The Contributor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bazamuffin said:
kylster said:

Try using Bluedump via HBC, it extracts to a WAD and then simply install on emu NAND
smile.gif
Bluedump, if I'm not mistaken, is a Wii app.(I could be mistaken) This is a PC app and it would be very handy if it extracted wads to your PC from a nand.bin. I have already used it several times and would really like to see this feature added. Great work.

wiimanofthenorth

Trophies
XP
Country
PabloACZ said:
wiimanofthenorth said:
It falls over at "title/00010000/53525150/data/79.H>C" for me.

The ">" character in the filename isn't supported by common filesystems. It shows an error because the program can not save the file to your PC due to this problem.

Ah yes, that makes sense... so how does one get past this then?

SSJwiggy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
giantpune said:
use a better filesystem.
I'd like to request some help on this. I've tried extracting the files onto both a FAT32 hard drive and an NTSC hard drive, but I still get the same error. Is there any way to successfully extract this folder?

giantpune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can edit the source and change nandbin.cpp line 401 from "return false" to "return true".

or you can use an ext filesystem.

if that is too much for you, you can think outside the box. copy your save using the system menu or some other tool. then delete that save and dump the nand again without it having that save in it. then extract it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SugoiEndeavor @ SugoiEndeavor: What's up bakaz